JonnyAlpha
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Text to speech

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 am

Hi;

I put this in other projects as this is part of a project that I am working on to create a class room assistant as part of a BCS Certificate in Computing.

I need the assistant to respond verbally and am experimenting with a few packages. I have flash a fresh image of Jessie and done an update and upgrade. The only other thing that has been installed is netatalk.

I have read this guide and have just installed espeak.

Using the example settings:

Code: Select all

espeak -ven+f3 -k5 -s150 "Hello World"
I get the "World" but not the "Hello"

I also get this massive response:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.front.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4738:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround51.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4738:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround21
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround51.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround21
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround40.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround40
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround41
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround50
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround51
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround71.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Is this error causing the missing text?

I have just also installed pico Text to Speech and it plays the full text no problems. Just need to see if it comes with any other voices?
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

JonnyAlpha

Re: Text to speech

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 am

Did some searching on the web and it seems that you can change the config file but on a fresh install of Jessie I can't locate it. As well as changing the language EN / US etc does it come with the ability to modify the voice AKA robot / alien?
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

scruss

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Those error messages are just what you get with command line sound applications. There doesn't seem to be a magic incantation to make them go away.

I don't see any robot voices for espeak. The voices available are listed by:

espeak --voices
and

espeak --voices=mbrola
There are suggestions for faking a robot voice with sox: Female Robotic Text-To-Speech Tutorial
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

xenophod

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm getting clipped speech from espeak as well.

I've got the Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Stretch release 2017-09-07, kernel is 4.9.41-v7+ #1023

Even mpg123 only outputs the last part of an mp3 file. and aplay only outputs the last part of a wav file.

Seems to be an issue with sound in general, not the applications playing the sounds.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:03 am

PWM audio quality when using speech synthesis isn't that great at all (nevertheless it works).

I'm using festival

[Install additional libraries for text-to-speech support (festival)]
sudo apt install festival-dev festival

[test speech]
echo "Testing speach synthesis on the Raspberry Pi." | festival --tts
I'm now using a DAC connected to I2S interface which gives nice 'readings'

Return to “Other projects”