thomh

Measuring earth topography

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Hello everyone,

First warning: I am a software developer but have very little experience with hardware. Though, I know how to tinker ;-)

Short introduction:
I am looking for a measurement possibility to measure small changes in the earth topography. Accuracy below 5cm within 1m distance would be great. I know that there are high-precision, high-resolution digital elevation models but I am looking for an alternative for various reasons.

My first idea was to apply a sensor to a wheel (e.g. from a bicycle but possibly also a smaller wheel) that measures the turn of the wheel. Whenever the sensor gets a signal (after every full/half/quarter/... turn, it measures inclination angle. Based on that one could determine a relative height profile to the starting point. This would be absolutely sufficient for my idea.

I would like to use a raspberry has a controller and attach the sensors to it, that would allow me to do all my Python magic ;-) I am familiar with impressive projects using the Raspi as an advanced bike computer so that measuring the number of rotations should not be the problem.

**Now my question:** Do you know about the accuracy of inclinometers for the Raspi? Do you have any suggestions what to use? I have seen projects for cars, but that will probably not fulfill my demands, right?

Alternative ideas to achieve the same goal are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Other projects”