bleep42

Re: Pi-Portable & or Monitor.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:37 pm

slikvik wrote:Got ya!

It's was the disconnecting of the current power that I was missing! So...

The red wire is now powering the board via the VR (soldered underneath, back to the power connection).
The black wire is grounding to the ground point shown in the photo just above.
The grey wires are powering the Pi from the +5V output of the board shown in the photo just above.

Thanks for your time replying.
Sounds perfect to me. :-)
Bare in mind that the 0V (ground) is common to all boards, which is why in the photo, the (grey) wire for the 5V appears to go the the main power input connector, it was simply a convenient place to solder on to the 0V (ground).
Good luck.

kmccb

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Curious.. Why do you have to connect wires to both 5V outputs and Gnds instead of just one 5V and one GND?

Thanks!

bleep42

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:39 pm

kmccb wrote:Curious.. Why do you have to connect wires to both 5V outputs and Gnds instead of just one 5V and one GND?

Thanks!
You don't 'have' to, but if you are going to pull a couple of amps from it then the more copper in the the circuit the better, to stop voltage drop. At say 2 Amps a 0.1 Volt drop will occur for every 0.05 Ohms in the circuit.
Regards Kevin.

kmccb

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks for the reply.. That's over my head but I'll take your word for it. :)

dem1980

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:18 am

Your project is great.
I have already done something like yours but my problem was that i need 2 power adapters, one 12V/4A for the LCD and one 5/V/2A for the Raspberry.
I like your project because you only need one power adapter !
In my previous project, i have a power cable from the inverter port to the screen so i think that i can't use the 5V output from M.NT68676.2A to power Pi with 5V/2A.

In my new project, i have a screen Samsung LTN121W4-l01.
So i will bought this kit, where i have already bought my first kit (fot but another screen reference) :
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/NT68676-HDMI-DVI ... 1533033673
Here is a picture of someone who had the same kit and the same screen.
http://i.imgur.com/l65fVGQ.jpg
As you can see, the inverter port is used to power the screen.
In this case, i can't use the 5V output of the kit to power the Pi ??

Thank you

tbeswick

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi,

I am currently working on a project using this exact same driver board. I am using the 5V supply to power a wireless HDMI receiver card. Everything is working great except that on my board, shutting the power off with the button does not seem to shut the output power off as I think it should.

Have you experienced anything like this with your board? Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

bleep42

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:31 am

dem1980 wrote:Your project is great.
I have already done something like yours but my problem was that i need 2 power adapters, one 12V/4A for the LCD and one 5/V/2A for the Raspberry.
I like your project because you only need one power adapter !
In my previous project, i have a power cable from the inverter port to the screen so i think that i can't use the 5V output from M.NT68676.2A to power Pi with 5V/2A.

In my new project, i have a screen Samsung LTN121W4-l01.
So i will bought this kit, where i have already bought my first kit (fot but another screen reference) :
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/NT68676-HDMI-DVI ... 1533033673
Here is a picture of someone who had the same kit and the same screen.
http://i.imgur.com/l65fVGQ.jpg
As you can see, the inverter port is used to power the screen.
In this case, i can't use the 5V output of the kit to power the Pi ??

Thank you
Hi,
Looking at the photo, I'd say that the 5V connections are still there, they are just hidden under the toroidal transformer/choke, so you would simply connect to them from the other side of the board. Looking at the Spec. http://www.drivestar.biz/files/M.NT68676.2A.pdf I would say it's still there.
Regards, Kevin.
Last edited by bleep42 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bleep42

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:41 am

tbeswick wrote:Hi,

I am currently working on a project using this exact same driver board. I am using the 5V supply to power a wireless HDMI receiver card. Everything is working great except that on my board, shutting the power off with the button does not seem to shut the output power off as I think it should.

Have you experienced anything like this with your board? Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I've tried this with my board and it doesn't turn off the 5V output, to be honest I didn't think that it would, only the screen, though I notice in the Spec. http://www.drivestar.biz/files/M.NT68676.2A.pdf that there is a "PWON" pin on that connector, but I don't know what that does.
Regards, Kevin

grandejon

Wed May 18, 2016 1:00 pm

Can someone explain the purpose of the capacitor near the flip switch?

bleep42

Wed May 18, 2016 2:49 pm

grandejon wrote:Can someone explain the purpose of the capacitor near the flip switch?

It's to try to reduce any sudden voltage drops when something is plugged into the USB hub which suddenly starts taking power.

papsphilip

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi
i ve bought the same controller to reuse my laptop screen but there is one problem.
the board heats up a lot.
so my question is can i power a small 12v fan directly from the board? a cooling fan like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pin-75mm-7- ... 2516.l5255

i ve noticed an output jumper that says 12V on the side, but i really dont know much about circuits and i wouldnt risk burning up my monitor or the board.

any advice?
IMG_1869.JPG
jumper output is at the edge of the board, center of the image
IMG_1869.JPG (55.99 KiB) Viewed 6321 times

bleep42

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:03 pm

papsphilip wrote:Hi
i ve bought the same controller to reuse my laptop screen but there is one problem.
so my question is can i power a small 12v fan directly from the board? a cooling fan like this one

i ve noticed an output jumper that says 12V on the side, but i really dont know much about circuits and i wouldnt risk burning up my monitor or the board.

any advice?
Hi,
When you say it's hot, how hot? mine, I can keep my finger on the large black chip for a couple of seconds, before I have to take it off, I would say this is normal, it certainly hasn't caused my board any problems in over a year.
If you are still worried I would use a self adhesive heat sink rather than a fan, much quieter, smaller, cheaper, no power required and it will give you much more bang for your buck cooling wise.
Something similar to this:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Sink-Sel ... SwT6pVgsFK
This particular one may be a bit large, I'm not sure, but you get the idea.
Good luck. :-)
Kevin.

papsphilip

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:10 pm

bleep42 wrote:

any advice?
Hi,
When you say it's hot, how hot? mine, I can keep my finger on the large black chip for a couple of seconds, before I have to take it off, I would say this is normal, it certainly hasn't caused my board any problems in over a year.
If you are still worried I would use a self adhesive heat sink rather than a fan, much quieter, smaller, cheaper, no power required and it will give you much more bang for your buck cooling wise.
Kevin.
hi
thanks for the quick reply
yeah the chip certainly heats up to temperatures that are supposed to be normal, but i was planning on attaching a heatsink anyways.
The enclosure i ve made is rather small and everything fits in there just right, on top of that its wooden (maybe a bad design choice) so i was thinking maybe the enclosure will heat up inside? hence the cooling fan
there are parts of cable that are pretty close or in contact with a capacitor per say
do you think its overkill?

bleep42

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:39 pm

papsphilip wrote:
bleep42 wrote:

any advice?
Hi,
Kevin.
hi
thanks for the quick reply
yeah the chip certainly heats up to temperatures that are supposed to be normal, but i was planning on attaching a heatsink anyways.
The enclosure i ve made is rather small and everything fits in there just right, on top of that its wooden (maybe a bad design choice) so i was thinking maybe the enclosure will heat up inside? hence the cooling fan
there are parts of cable that are pretty close or in contact with a capacitor per say
do you think its overkill?
Could you drill a few holes above where the heat sink will be and a few else where to allow an air flow?
The fan you indicated was quite large and probably noisy, you could get a smaller one maybe, that was 5v.
My case is sealed, but it is metal, so would allow some heat transfer, wood, without holes is a reasonable insulator, if you can do holes that would work fine I would think. Maybe if not holes then a larger recess, with a metal grill over it, whatever to give air flow...... Cables being close to a capacitor won't be a problem.

Regards, Kevin.

papsphilip

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:11 pm

thanks a lot for the advice Kevin, i ll try optimising the airflow somehow and see how it goes

Philip

ozbird

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 am

I've just received my M.NT68676.2 LCD controller + inverter etc. to resurrect an old LTN170WX-L05 panel.

I forgot about the power supply (oops), so tried it with a 12VDC 1.5A plug pack I had on hand - it worked!
The plug pack didn't feel hot afterwards, but I'm not sure it's sufficient for 24/7 usage. (Good enough to fumble through the menus and set the language to "English".)

If it all goes horribly wrong, how hard is it to repurpose the M.NT68676.2 for another LCD panel? (I assume the main differences are the power cable/inverter?)

bleep42

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:59 pm

ozbird wrote:I've just received my M.NT68676.2 LCD controller + inverter etc. to resurrect an old LTN170WX-L05 panel.

I forgot about the power supply (oops), so tried it with a 12VDC 1.5A plug pack I had on hand - it worked!
The plug pack didn't feel hot afterwards, but I'm not sure it's sufficient for 24/7 usage. (Good enough to fumble through the menus and set the language to "English".)

If it all goes horribly wrong, how hard is it to repurpose the M.NT68676.2 for another LCD panel? (I assume the main differences are the power cable/inverter?)
Hi,
I would think a 1.5A 12V supply will be fine, if you could measure the current going into the board from the supply that would be best, but my gut feeling is that it'll be fine.
As example, my 17.5" screen, is powered from a 1.25A 12V power supply and I've never had a problem, that's also powering a Pi and a micro disk as well.
I think the driver boards are pre-programmed with the correct driver, for the screen you want to drive, so re-purposing on another screen might be problematic.
Regards, Kevin.

Lev

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi,
I have some questions:
1. On power supply it is written that 12V - 36V. Whether it means, what if to connect the standarty power unit 20V on a payment of nothing will burn down?
2. There the undervoltage block is added. Where the red wire is connected?
3. I wanted in the easy, modern laptop to put the panel 15“, 4:3, 1440x1050. Thus to keep old, standard LED-illumination which I will establish instead of a lamp:
The motherboard -> the socket –> a loop –> the socket on a payment old the panel –> LED illumination. This LCD-illumination, as before, will receive power supply from AKKU.
The M.NT68676.2 function will consist only in transforming video signal from HDMI to LVDS. What minimum Volts is necessary for LVDS? It would be desirable 5V – 7V.
Thanks.

bleep42

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am

Lev wrote:Hi,
I have some questions:
1. On power supply it is written that 12V - 36V. Whether it means, what if to connect the standarty power unit 20V on a payment of nothing will burn down?
2. There the undervoltage block is added. Where the red wire is connected?
3. I wanted in the easy, modern laptop to put the panel 15“, 4:3, 1440x1050. Thus to keep old, standard LED-illumination which I will establish instead of a lamp:
The motherboard -> the socket –> a loop –> the socket on a payment old the panel –> LED illumination. This LCD-illumination, as before, will receive power supply from AKKU.
The M.NT68676.2 function will consist only in transforming video signal from HDMI to LVDS. What minimum Volts is necessary for LVDS? It would be desirable 5V – 7V.
Thanks.
Hi,
Unfortunately the translater you used is not making any sense. :-( It may be worth using a different translator, or use different words and try again.
these addresses are useful for information on the LCD driver. :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-NT68676-2A- ... 3f23541e55
http://www.drivestar.biz/files/M.NT68676.2A.pdf

Regards, Kevin.

Lev

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:06 am

Hi,
Well, I'm going to write the same question in different ways. On one issue.
1. You wrote: «I did this with a variable voltage switching regulator, it'll take any DC input from 11v to 40v and output 9v which I use to power the LCD, the LCD board then powers everything else.»
How it works? The converter is connected to the input in parallel with the card driver (M.NT68676.2A) ?
Input goes in parallel to the driver (M.NT68676.2A) and converter? What I see in the photo: the red wire (input, "+") is soldered to the "+" (12-35V). Next - the output (red "+" Black "-"). Where they are soldered (output)? In the photo it is not visible. For example, input 20V runs parallel to the board (M.NT68676.2A) and to the converter?
Regards, Lev

bleep42

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Lev wrote:Hi,
Well, I'm going to write the same question in different ways. On one issue.
1. You wrote: «I did this with a variable voltage switching regulator, it'll take any DC input from 11v to 40v and output 9v which I use to power the LCD, the LCD board then powers everything else.»
How it works? The converter is connected to the input in parallel with the card driver (M.NT68676.2A) ?
Input goes in parallel to the driver (M.NT68676.2A) and converter? What I see in the photo: the red wire (input, "+") is soldered to the "+" (12-35V). Next - the output (red "+" Black "-"). Where they are soldered (output)? In the photo it is not visible. For example, input 20V runs parallel to the board (M.NT68676.2A) and to the converter?
Regards, Lev
Hi Lev,

Ok, I have disconnected the middle pin of the power connector on the M.NT68676.2A, so that I can take it instead to my voltage converter, so the centre pin of the power plug of the M.NT68676.2A goes to the voltage converter, using the red wire, which converts the input voltage 12-35V in to 9v, which I then take back to the place where the power socket middle pin used to connect to the M.NT68676.2A, that is the other red wire going under the board. The Black wire goes to a common ground, the negative of the power socket, again under the board.
If you can run the M.NT68676.2A on 9V-12V then you don't need to do any of this and you won't need the voltage converter.
I think I said in the original that the M.NT68676.2A will work with down to 7V but no lower, so I chose 9V.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Kevin.

Lev

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks, Kevin.
2. Conventionally, what we see on the screen can be divided into 2 parts: LVDS + LED. "Picture" + LED-lights. 7-9V you enough for you to see the image with light?
Regards, Lev.

bleep42

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Lev wrote:Thanks, Kevin.
2. Conventionally, what we see on the screen can be divided into 2 parts: LVDS + LED. "Picture" + LED-lights. 7-9V you enough for you to see the image with light?
Regards, Lev.
Hi Lev,
Yes, nice and bright, with the screen I used, look at the photos on Picasa showing the screen.
Regards Kevin.

pejko

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi, if i may ask about the nt68676.2a controller ,
i want to power my controller the regular way( via DC jack) , but i dont want to use the. (i dont know the name of it, it says CSM PCB V-1 - marked it on image ) .. meaning, just plug in the jack and autopower on.
like this
My idea is to short out some pins CN11: Key Interface ( as it says on board SMD ) , since the small controller(the one i dont want to use) doing the same in some way.
Is this a good idea ? And if yes, which pins i am suppose to short out ?
Thank you,
Pejko

bleep42

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:40 pm

pejko wrote:Hi, if i may ask about the nt68676.2a controller ,
i want to power my controller the regular way( via DC jack) , but i dont want to use the. (i dont know the name of it, it says CSM PCB V-1 - marked it on image ) .. meaning, just plug in the jack and autopower on.
like this
My idea is to short out some pins CN11: Key Interface ( as it says on board SMD ) , since the small controller(the one i dont want to use) doing the same in some way.
Is this a good idea ? And if yes, which pins i am suppose to short out ?
Thank you,
Pejko
Hi Pejko,
Someone else wanted to do this, so I tested the NT68676.2A without the button board connected and it works fine, it turns itself on when you connect the power. Obviously you then don't have any access to the brightness/contrast OSD menu etc. but if you set everything up as you want it, then unplug the buttons, everything works fine it will not harm the board or display.

Regards,
Kevin.

Return to “Other projects”