Jgwallace19

Raspberry pi laptop

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 pm

I am building a raspberry pi laptop and have all the components but I haven't figured out a cheap way to make a nice clean looking case. What would you (the community) recommend?

P.S I have already looked into 3d printing but all the printers are too expensive, or don't have a big enough printing bed.

Thanks for your help,
Jesse

ame

Re: Raspberry pi laptop

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:40 am

How about some kind of briefcase, or a tool case, or a Pelican waterproof case? Or you could buy a child's educational toy laptop (for teaching ABCs) and replace the innards with your Pi and components.

dstuttgen

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Jgwallace19 wrote:I am building a raspberry pi laptop and have all the components but I haven't figured out a cheap way to make a nice clean looking case. What would you (the community) recommend?

P.S I have already looked into 3d printing but all the printers are too expensive, or don't have a big enough printing bed.

Thanks for your help,
Jesse
I remembered seeing this on Instructables. Seems like something you may be interested in.
http://www.instructables.com/id/LapPi-A ... i-Netbook/

Cheers, Dan

Kowebb

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm currently trying to make a laptop too. But I want is to small, portable, and have at least a 5 hour run time. I haven't bought any parts yet but I want it to look kinda like a laptop. :)

dstuttgen

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 am

Kowebb wrote:I'm currently trying to make a laptop too. But I want is to small, portable, and have at least a 5 hour run time. I haven't bought any parts yet but I want it to look kinda like a laptop. :)
Well, check this out then.

Cheers, Dan

Geez, that's embarrassing! :oops: here's the link. http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/awesome-pi ... 1-12-2012/
Last edited by dstuttgen on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lithium630

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 pm

This site has some info. It's meant more for gaming portables but it has some good info.

http://downingsbasement.com/my-guides/p ... ing-guide/

Ben Heck on the appropriately named Ben Heck Show on Revision3 also discusses making cases without a 3D printer.

Peeta Mellark

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Has anyone thought of using a SYNET7WID 7 netbook as a case?
http://www.squidoo.com/sylvania-netbook-upgrading

If it works please reply to my email at iedhhs52@gmail.com

you can get these for less than the 90 dollars listed on amazon at newegg.
if it works it coluld be a nice case with a sleek and compact design.

It would make a nice case for making a rpi umpc...

im wanting to build a mini rpi laptop for programming and general uses. ;)
Last edited by Peeta Mellark on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kowebb

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:56 pm

I've been thinking of building a custom case or using an old mobile DVD player. My case is 13x7 inches approx. It will cots with computer components incluses $156. I am also using high end stuff too.

lukek-aus

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:49 am

I've seen the Motorola Lapdock work really well. It may/may not be what you're after, but if you can get the right setup to match your needs, it works a charm.

Visit my blog - http://www.pi.lukek-aus.net

Kowebb

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:11 pm

I've seen the Motorola laptock and don't really like it. I kinda want to make it from scratch. :)

Downing

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Hey Everyone!

So I've been getting a fair amount of traffic on my blog from this page, more specifically directly to my case making guide. First off, thanks for the interest and I hope it's helpful! :)

Second, as litho pointed out, I'm a console modder by nature but I've gotten into making enclosures of all sorts recently for not only custom portable video game systems, but also some PC and A/V wireless hardware as well.

I've yet to attempt any kind of Raspi enclosure but it's something that I think would be fun to get into.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and if anyone is in need of a custom enclosure, please be sure to let me know. I do everything from Vacuum Forming, to CNC and 3D printing and model design. Or if you just have any questions on your DIY projects and need a hand, I'm glad to help however I can. Thanks again and hope to talk with you soon!

Downing

hamrecycling

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 pm

That is really neat, looks like the bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse, good work :)

Peeta Mellark

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:58 pm

lukek-aus wrote:I've seen the Motorola Lapdock work really well. It may/may not be what you're after, but if you can get the right setup to match your needs, it works a charm.

I would work, but it is too big for my likings. I wont have a chance to fit in my pocket.

Jgwallace19

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for all of your answers! I really didn't expect so many when I posted it. The tutorial on Instructables that dstuttgen linked me to was just what I needed! Thanks again!

- Jesse :D

JohnSnow

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Kowebb wrote:I've been thinking of building a custom case or using an old mobile DVD player. My case is 13x7 inches approx. It will cots with computer components incluses $156. I am also using high end stuff too.
If the old dvd player idea works then can you say how uou did it? Thanks :D

P4d0uch

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:08 am

I have made my portable pi from ?plexiglass?(I dont know if it is the right name for this material in the UK). It is pretty easy to work with. I have wanted good audio therefore the speakers are so big. It will have touch screen but im waiting for another one from ebay (this one is broken :( ) It is 21x18x3.5 cm big. The carbon-fiber vinyl will be on top too. And the middle frame will stay clear ( the scratches are there on purpose). more photos here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing Image

Allencraft1000pi

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Use this link http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/S ... archidx=12 The con is you cant see the inside of it :| but it looks good and its cheap :D

kamal_Jufrie

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am

Are anyone have an idea for the speakers? I have searched but did not find the tiny size one but have good audio

MohitBagur

Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:27 am

Hey all,
I'm making a raspberry pi laptop and CAN'T seem to power the screen thru a boost converter board whose input is wired to gpio on my pi 2. any ideas on how to power the screen without the Pi repeatedly rebooting?

Battery pack is a 1.9a output 7800 mah power bank. Display draws 450-680 ma.

Laurens-wuyts

Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:04 am

I would not power the screen from the IO connectors on the pi.
Instead try powering it directly from the battery.

Laurens

Return to “Cases”