moblo

Does my case need cooling?

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 pm

I have built a portable gaming rig in a mini brief case. It has a Pi, large battery pack, mini speakers and a small step-up transformer. The pi is clocked at 900mhz. My question is this; it will all be covered by a perspex sheet to be fully enclosed. I will be drilling holes to create air vents over the pi itself. But would I need a small fan to actively cool it? Or will the vents suffice. It will be well enclosed but I was hoping that air vents directly over the RPi would be ok. Anyones thoughts?

(Im still waiting for the step up transformer to arrive but it will go in the top right)

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Does my case need cooling?

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi there!
The Pi is made from mostly mobile phone parts that are designed to be enclosed with no air flow, although your over clock will generate a bit more heat the CPU is rated up to 85 degrees centigrade.

You can check the CPU temp with this command;

Code: Select all

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

splatoid

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:58 am

I don't know enough about the pi as of yet mine is in the mail but i just wanted to comment.
I like your idea that is a sweet setup. What kind of games do you plan to run or have you ran on this setup?

dan3008

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 am

If your concerned, write yourself a quick bash script (or python if you prefer) to monitor the temperature, and alert you if it gets too hot.

i'd do it by an LED attached to the gpio, and set the script to turn on the light at 50 Degrees plus. I picked 50, just cause it sounded good lol. and my pi was always below 50,
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

jfornango

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:01 pm

The Pi will be ok. However, the battery pack and transformer will generate some heat.
I'd recomment a intake small fan in the upper right corner, then exhaust vents directly over the battery and transformer. That setup should provide enough positive pressure to push the heat out and keep it away from the electronics.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

Return to “Cases”