Anyone Interested in having a case like this?

Poll ended at Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am

Yes
67%
No
17%
Maybe
17%

Total votes: 6
Kryptos3D

Keyboard 3D Print Project

Wed May 01, 2013 5:11 am

I saw a german guy tried to take a keyboard at modify it to fit a raspberry pi inside. I was attempting to do the same thing only model the keyboard in blender and have it printed out. So far things are coming along well but I'm struggling to keep the profile of the keyboard down. I'm trying to keep the form factor as small as possible.

The keyboard I'm using is LED lit. I was thinking about unsoldering the Ethernet jack and USB ports have use through the wall jacks instead. I'm not sure about wiring the usb ports back up though. Are there any tutorials out there that show specifically how to resolder the ports properly that will allow four ports to come directly off the board? I was also thinking about modelling a GPIO pin header so that the pins are accessible from the top left of the keyboard. The Pi cobbler would just run underneath to the new port. Here is my project so far. Any suggestions?

nounoua

Re: Keyboard 3D Print Project

Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 am

Dude that's awesome. It's like plug-and-play keyboard taken to the max.
Have you considered placing the RPi board on the far side of the keyboard? That way, it could be both the RPi container and a sort of rest to prop the keyboard up on. Maybe cable extensions on the USB/Ethernet could make the ports be on the side of the keyboard, sort of like an Apple keyboard's USB port placement...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 9.59.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 9.59.52 PM.png (45.34 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 9.59.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 9.59.37 PM.png (18.93 KiB) Viewed 2272 times

Kryptos3D

Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Hello and thank you for the response,

I modeled the keyboard so that the raspberry pi will essentially "drop in" to the upper right corner of the keyboard. This location seemed to make the most sense at the time because it lessoned the amount of additional ports that would have to be installed (ethernet and usb's). I'm currently awaiting a 3D print job that should arrive in the mail tomorrow. The print job was a test to see how the profile in the top left corner of the board accepts the raspberri pi. Ill post pics tomorrow if it comes. As far as the rest, to prop the keyboard up, that will be easy to model in without moving the raspberry pi to the other side. My plan was to do that once the profile of the container accepts the pi perfectly. Ideally though, the container will have:

- External GPIO pins accessible from one of the top coroners
- 4 USB jacks, HDMI, RCA, and 3.5 mm audio jacks, and USB power jack in the back
- SD access from the bottom of the board in which a cutout in the model sits flush with the SD card's bracket.

It would be the perfect prototyping platform

dan3008

Thu May 09, 2013 9:01 am

This is amazing.

I was looking at cases like this a while back for my school in a box project :D

I'd love to buy one. :D so convenient too :D
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

crazyteknohed

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 am

Any progress on this? Looks very interesting!

jfornango

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 pm

I have to admit, this is slick. Just need some type of slimline screen to fit to it and you're reay to roll.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

kghunt

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 pm

ZX berry anyone? :D Now all you need is a tape drive which is really a hard disk and gpio prototype area (under pop up tape deck)

Return to “Cases”