theGECK

Looking for a sustainable case

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi everybody. I'm looking for a case that is produced with sustainably sourced materials. This probably means that I'm looking for wood case similar to this one: http://en.arbofaktur.de/store/raspberry-pi-case-walnut

I'm seeing a lot of plastic cases, but wondering if there's anybody out there making something for ecologically concerned people.

Thanks!

theGECK

Re: Looking for a sustainable case

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I found all of those, but none specify that they are sourced from sustainable wood farms or use "green" production. While I understand that all wood is grown, there's a difference in methods and materials of construction. The plywood case requires glue to make the plywood, which isn't traditionally a "green", "sustainable" or "ecological" product. I doubt the MDF and the Bramble use renewable energy to power their lasers, and they don't claim to either.

In contrast the one I linked claims, "Entirely made of regional untreated timber, manufactured in Germany with renewable energy sources" among other claims to an ecological mindset.

DBryant

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Don't think I can add anything; you'll simply have to trawl Google results and see if you can justify each 'ethically' to your own requirements.

Certainly modern composites like MDF and ply many not be particularly green in some senses. In terms of using otherwise waste materia,l rather than prime good quality walnut, then maybe the distinction is not so clear. Have you thought waht the % wastage of material is likey to be for thbe walnut case? Where does the waste go?

Personally I would find it strange to be purchasing a case, incurring carbon costs for delivery and who knows what other unforeseen green and ethical disadvantages. Guess it depends where you want to draw the line of your ethics.

The re-use of something that has already been manufactured and is currently available to you locally, without incurring additional trapsort cost, is by far the soundest approach. The use of Lego can be justfied if you have a pile of the stuff the kids are no longer using; the 'damage' already having been done. Comes down to some assesment of the total cost of onwership. There is plenty of packaging of various materials that generally enter a home; whether they meet your criteria in terms of functionality and design, are cosmetically acceptable and then go on to meet your ethical points only you can answer.

Good luck in your search.

theGECK

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:47 pm

FYI, for anybody looking at sustainable cases, the one I posted in the OP offers carbon neutral international shipping. While you still have to burn the oil, it's offset in different ways. That can be another factor in your decision.

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:49 pm

the paper ones - print it yourself
or the box that the RPi comes in
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

tskwara

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi is a case we manufacture and sell that's made out of aluminum, which is 100% recyclable. Furthermore, 100% of the scrap aluminum generated during it's manufacture is recycled. Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi is also shipped in rugged mailers that are made from renewable resources (95% total recycled content, 55% post-consumer).

We share your interest in the environment!

Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi

-TS
MobileApp Systems
Mobile Applications on a Mission

Makers of Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi
Explore Proto Armour / www.protoarmour.com

piglet

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:04 pm

theGECK wrote:FYI, for anybody looking at sustainable cases, the one I posted in the OP offers carbon neutral international shipping. While you still have to burn the oil, it's offset in different ways. That can be another factor in your decision.
Carbon offsets are complete tosh aren't they? Unless you're planning to fill the empty oil well with carbon it's just a con.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:26 pm

The fossil fuels appear to have been produced in a small window during which trees had evolved a tough structure that bacteria etc had not yet evolved the capabilities to break down. That window closed before the dinosaurs were around; nowadays if you plant a tree, then you lock up carbon for a few years, until the tree is burnt or decays. The only way to avoid returning the carbon to the atmosphere would be to prevent the tree -- or whatever furniture etc it becomes -- from decaying. One way to do that might be to convert it to charcoal and bury it. But nobody is even thinking about the possibility of doing that. Carbon Capture may have the same effect but it isn't viewed as complementing forestry and it is not implemented widely enough to keep up with the increasing number of trees, not least because most such plants are still burning fossil fuels, not trees.

So yes, carbon offset is a short term fix lasting a century at most, and more probably half that.

And to drag it back on topic, Papier-Mâché?

simplesi

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:13 pm

or the box that the RPi comes in
Seems the most ecological solution - all the energy has already been consumed and as long as you've got some scissors and some eco-glue (not made from Unicorn horn for instance) then your done :)

Simon
PS You might want to consider that electronics/computers etc are pretty non-eco products and that the case is a very minor part of the equation (Like turning off all devices at the wall to save the few watts and then having an extra bath that year which wipes out the savings)

But, if you want to do your best in this anti-green environment then as said - recycle the box.

I've actually been quite green myself (due to budgetness not greenness I hasten to add) and used left over IPod packaging and existing unused Lego parts for the past 9 months and only bought my 1st case 3 weeks ago and I've got 7 RPi :)
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

simplesi

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 pm

And to drag it back on topic, Papier-Mâché?
I've thought of doing that - just making a one off mold and then building some of them - might try getting my after-schools clubs in on the act :)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

aTao

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 pm

tskwara wrote:Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi is a case we manufacture and sell that's made out of aluminum, which is 100% recyclable. Furthermore, 100% of the scrap aluminum generated during it's manufacture is recycled. Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi is also shipped in rugged mailers that are made from renewable resources (95% total recycled content, 55% post-consumer).

-TS
So you will be using only electricity from renewable sources then? Making and recycling ally takes a bucket load of juice.
>)))'><'(((<

tskwara

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 pm

aTao wrote:
tskwara wrote:Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi is a case we manufacture and sell that's made out of aluminum, which is 100% recyclable. Furthermore, 100% of the scrap aluminum generated during it's manufacture is recycled. Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi is also shipped in rugged mailers that are made from renewable resources (95% total recycled content, 55% post-consumer).

-TS
So you will be using only electricity from renewable sources then? Making and recycling ally takes a bucket load of juice.
80% of the electricity used to make Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi (including recycling) comes from renewable, pollution-free hydropower.

-TS
MobileApp Systems
Mobile Applications on a Mission

Makers of Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi
Explore Proto Armour / www.protoarmour.com

aTao

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:24 pm

:-)
>)))'><'(((<

killor

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi !
I make and sell on AMAZON (ASIN: B00BM4YP2C) and Ebay a birch plywood enclosure for Raspberry Pi and also for Piface interface board. :mrgreen:
Piface_box11.jpg
Piface_box11.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
rbp_flex02.jpg
rbp_flex02.jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

PiGraham

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 pm

3D printed cases in PLA (most common material for fused filament printers) are made from corn.

Monotex wrote:PLA is a Biopolymer and comes from 100% annually renewable resources.

chrisryall

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:37 pm

My pi came with a case, which works so I used that.

But it is mouted on a "real" recycled breadboard, and I've done other things in 5x20 wood strip, which is easy to do joins with, and also whittles well. Much of the wiring is old phone cable or Cat5. Switches and stuff on my 5V side are mounted onto recycled plate from I think an old light switch.

Yes I don't throw much out. Have to say the influence of all this on floooding in the Thames valley will be utterly trivial. but it's been fun

killor

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:48 pm

killor wrote:Hi !
I make and sell on AMAZON (ASIN: B00BM4YP2C) and Ebay a birch plywood enclosure for Raspberry Pi and also for Piface interface board. :mrgreen:
Piface_box11.jpg
rbp_flex02.jpg

The ABS (Acrylonitrile butadienestireno) is a hard plastic used in pipes, fenders car and toys. ( I see many enclosure made ​​with this material. :!: )
ABS is extremely difficult to recycle.
Polycarbonate does not require additives in production but phosgene and solvent employed as well as dichloroethane and chlorobenzene bisphenol A or BPA (an endocrine disruptor frequently used) :x

killor

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi !!

I'm redesigning a new case for the new B + version board of the Raspberry Pi. B+ case ;)
Raspberry_p_B_opt.jpg
Raspberry Pi B + enclosure
Raspberry_p_B_opt.jpg (50.57 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
For mounting, 4 screws mounting nut M3 size

soon be available on AMAZON B00NJ281BQ :mrgreen:

And yes, I prefer wood and keep doing not use plastic. unless you really need it.
Last edited by killor on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killor

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi!
I added a new wooden case adapted to accommodate the Wolfson Pi AUDIO board with Raspberry Pi B model. (older model)
Now available on eBay site and on AMAZON stores.... B00N1SICB2 or write "guitarreria.com" in the search box AMAZON
IMG_0357_opt.jpg
Wolfson Pi wooden enclosure
IMG_0357_opt.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
Thanks to the assistance of B. Helbling by photographs and measurements..

killor

Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi everyone!!
After spending several weeks off work laser machine :oops:

I get a request for a person ,he wanted to make him a enclosure with VESA HOLDER to Raspberry Pi 2 (also compatible with B+).

I remembered I did a couple of years other case in acrylic with the same adapter,but now I prefer to use wood because Birch ply is made from laminations of birch veneer.
It is light but strong, among the strongest and most dimensionally-stable plywoods.
Vesa_Raspberry Pi2.jpg
Raspberry Pi 2 Vesa adapter
Vesa_Raspberry Pi2.jpg (62.11 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
Well already made ...
I Place an ad on eBay, if any of you want also one. :mrgreen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361224488954

Questions or suggestions are accepted...
Bye !!

killor

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi !
This week I made a enclosure to accommodate a mini thermal printer
A2_printer.jpg
mini thermal printer enclosure
A2_printer.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
and a Raspberry Pi A + or B + at the base.
A2_printer_2.jpg
mini thermal printer A2
A2_printer_2.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
A2_printer_3.jpg
mini thermal printer A2 csn
A2_printer_3.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
I've also done some opening to place the camera ..
it could be used as a barcode reader or QR codes. :mrgreen:

will soon be available on eBay...

killor

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi !

Some more wooden enclosure for Raspberry 2 or B+ board model.

Adapted for Hifiberry DIGI + or DAC+ audio boards..

Adapted for Piface 2 or Relay versions.

and I keep doing more models using birch wood...
There are a lot of plastic floating in the ocean. :!:

Sir David Attenborough talks about the problems of plastic pollution in our oceans from the time when plastic was first introduced to him as a boy.
https://youtu.be/qfDKEzPxhzQ

killorP

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi !
This is my last wooden enclosure design, for the RPI 3

The lid is flexible and can extract..

Sales are ready on eBay and AMAZON
http://www.ebay.es/itm/361715743034?ssP ... 1555.l2649

Thank's

killorP

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi everyone!

I am preparing a new batch of wooden case RPI2 / RPI3 adapted for the audio card HiFiBerry pi DAC+.

Some satisfied Customer Reviews have written...

VonD. Oerkelam 15. Juni 2015 Germany
"Unter den hunderten oder gar tausenden von Gehäusemodellen, die für den Raspberry PI angeboten werden, sind die Gehäuse von guitarreria m.E. wohl die einzigen aus Holz. Der Gitarrenbauer aus Granada, Spanien, stellt wundervolle Cases für die verschiedenen Raspberry Pi-Modelle her: Das Hifiberry-Case von guitarreria ist passgenau auf den Raspberry PI2 und B+, in Verbindung mit dem RCA-DAC von Hifiberry, zugeschnitten.

Die Zustellung erfolgte vier Tage eher, als angekündigt, per Einschreiben. Nach dem Öffnen der kleinen Versandtasche verströmten die gefrästen Holzteile einen leicht rauchigen, angenehmen Geruch und erinnern leicht an einen dieser kleinen Räuchermännchen, die man in der Adventszeit auf dem Fensterbrett qualmen lässt.

Der Zusammenbau geht einfacher von der Hand als bei vergleichbaren Kunststoffgehäusen. Die Fertigungstoleranzen sind gut, lediglich am LAN-Anschluss wurde das ausgefräste Holz nicht restlos entfernt, hing noch an einem winzigen Stück Holz und musste von Hand herausgedrückt werden. Für das Hifiberry-Board, das mit Kunststoff-Abstandshaltern am Pi befestigt wird, deren Schrauben leicht unter dem PI abstehen, gibt es Aussparungen im Boden des guitarreria-Case. Einmal auf die Bodenplatte gesetzt, rutscht der PI nicht mehr im Case hin und her. Nach der Montage der Schrauben sitzt alles perfekt. Alle Anschlüsse haben großzügigen Platz in den Aussparungen.

Optisch ist das Gehäuse ein Hingucker und die Qualität erhaben. Für ca. 14€ plus Versand bekommt man ein originelles und wundeschönes Raspberry-Case. Wer Holz mag und auf Qualität Wert legt darf hier gerne zuschlagen."

Von Rajko Lüth Germany
Dieses Gehäuse ist auf jeden Fall ein Hingucker. In meinem Fall passte alles. Für den Preis kann man nichts schöneres bekommen. Die Lieferung war dank innerhalb von 2 Tagen hier. Der Bausatz passte in den Briefkasten. Der Geruch ist sehr angenehm, es riecht nach angebranntem Holz, wie wenn man Holz mit dem Lötkolben bearbeitet hat.
Mein Innenleben ist ein Raspi 2 mit aufgestecktem HiFi Berry. Selbst wenn ich den Aufbau nun schüttele, es klappert nix, das ist super!

Well it is not always perfect sometimes mistakes are made. ;)

By John Ashtonon June 29, 2015 USA
This case fits together nicely, the tabs and slots line up perfectly, as do the holes cut for the Raspberry Pi 2's ports. The top is hinged, which I suppose is a matter of design practicality over function, although it's kind of cool.
The case that Amazon shipped was packaged in an envelope that was marked as containing the model for the Pi 2 and the HiFiBerry DAC+. To my dismay, opening the envelope revealed a case made for the Pi 2 and the HiFiBerry Digi+. A subtle distinction, I realize, but the ports for these individual HiFiBerry "hats" are somewhat different.
Rather than go to the bother of returning the item (and delaying my project), I instead reamed out the square optical port to fit my hat and I also had to round the SPDIF port to accommodate the analog jacks. This thing sits hidden in a cabinet with my stereo gear, so looks aren't a priority. Besides, I doubt the casual observer would ever know the difference.
I'd love to go on about how pleased I am with my setup, and how I wished that Amazon sold the HiFiBerry, but this is a review for the case: I like it. I'd buy it again, assuming that the mix-up in the factory was an anomaly.
July 14, 2015
The good folks at Guitarreria took it upon themselves to mail me the correct part. That's great customer service! Thank you.

By Rudy USA
Took me a second to figure out how the hell to put this together. Please note -- the screws are to hold the wood together, NOT hold the RPi to the wood. the RPi sits in there by itself on its own w/o screws needed.
from FRANCE
Super pratique facile à assemblé j'aime bien il faut l'acheter je vous le recommande c'est super boîte raspberry pl 2
Da ArgiaSbolenfi ITALY
Semplicemente uno dei migliori box per Raspberry PI che abbia mai provato!
La costruzione in legno è accurata e gradevole, una caratteristica molto interessante è che avendo uno spazio superiore maggiorato, può ospitare ulteriori componenti rispetto ai box più standard. I due fori pensati per delle prese RCA possono essere utilizzati per il passaggio di cavetti elettrici.
Guardate accuratamente le foto per il montaggio, specialmente la posizione delle viti.

Thanks to the all customers and jp15sil24 and Rajko Lüth for these great photos.

In this year 2017 We will improve the design and once reviewed the suggestions will correct the errors .. :D

Cheers :!:

Return to “Cases”