peterburk

SD Card Cutting Tutorial

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm

I have an exciting Raspberry Pi case mod to show you, but I'll wait until after MacWorld this week.
Meanwhile, the first step required me to trim down my SD card. Here is a photo-tutorial of my steps!

1. Buy a cheap SD card.
I used a SanDisk 2GB card, for 7 CHF = $7.55 in InterDiscount. This will void your warranty - you have been warned!
Maybe we should maintain a list of cards that have been successfully cut?

2. Test the Raspberry Pi before cutting the SD card.

3. Draw a line on both sides of the SD card using a permanent marker.
I first used a pencil, but my fingers made the mark rub off. Use a marker.

4. Use a powerful light to check that there is nothing in the lower half of your SD card.
I used my iPhone 4S flashlight, although this picture is using my Pico Projector. Make sure that you can't see anything below your mark!

5. Pry open the SD card with a screwdriver, and make sure there's really nothing inside.

6. Attack it with scissors! Follow the line as much as possible.

7. There really was nothing inside. Phew! That's a relief.

8. Use a file to make the edge smooth.

9. Seal the end with superglue.

10. Cover the superglue in filing dust to add some surface area. This helps in sealing & colouring it.

11. Colour the filing dust with a blue marker.

12. The SD card now sits flush with the motherboard!

13. Put it back into the case.

14. It boots! Time to celebrate.

I think that we should maintain a list or photo gallery of compatible SD cards, that have enough free space to be trimmed in this way. It was cheaper for me to do this than order a low-profile adaptor from Adafruit.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/966

Peter

Fluo

Re: SD Card Cutting Tutorial

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Great job! I must do it with my sd card.

I have a question, what is a name of program on the last screen(it's working on iPhone?)
A man who won't lie to a woman has very little consideration for her feelings.

peterburk

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm using iTeleport as a VNC client, http://www.iteleportmobile.com.

Then my Raspberry Pi connects automatically to the MyWi network. That is easier to setup than having the RPi make its own network!

Peter

dan3008

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 am

Quick warning to people doing this. Make sure you seal the cut end quickly, and dont let dust inside... I can cause problems with the card.

Epic tutorial peterburk :) Thanks a lot
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

yakko TDI

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:02 pm

If you are buying a new card why not get a MicroSD and an adapter?

http://adafruit.com/products/966

peterburk

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Why not buy an adaptor?
Because my new card cost $7.75, which is less than the $5.95+shipping with the adaptor.

Also, I used an adaptor with my previous card, which the Raspberry Pi managed to break. My old 8GB microSD card isn't even recognised by my laptop any more! Therefore I don't trust SD adaptors in the Pi.

yakko TDI

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 am

peterburk wrote:Why not buy an adaptor?
Because my new card cost $7.75, which is less than the $5.95+shipping with the adaptor.

Also, I used an adaptor with my previous card, which the Raspberry Pi managed to break. My old 8GB microSD card isn't even recognised by my laptop any more! Therefore I don't trust SD adaptors in the Pi.
Which brand adaptor did you use? I am curious because I am currently planning to buy a few of the Adafruit ones I linked to since they have a reputation for making quality parts.

As for cost $4.99 for a 2gb MicroSD and $5.95 for the Adafruit adaptor, both with free shipping, is only a couple dollars more and still leaves you with a warranty and a card you can use in other devices.

peterburk

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:24 am

I used an HP microSD adaptor with a SanDisk 8GB microSDHC card. I doubt it was the brand - I suspect that some voltage fluctuations on the Pi managed to blow it out. Anyway, I now feel safer with a cut-down full size SD card.

Jim JKla

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 pm

The adaptor is a solution but this is a cheap way to protect a fragile SD slot particularly one that's already had a repair. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

RichardBronosky

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 pm

I was pleased to find that my local Walmart carried the a 2 pack of 4GB SD cards for less than $16. The packaging look identical to these 2GB cards (which were also on the shelf for <$11):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/PNY-2GB-Premi ... d/11078643

The plastic was so opaque that I couldn't even get a tactical LED flashlight to shine through it. So, I slowly split the card open with an Xacto to see how much room I had to play with. It turns ou that I was able to score a line along the back edge of the Pi's port and it just missed the memory chip.

Here are a few photos. I'll update more soon.
https://plus.google.com/103188493504862 ... 5jo55JdcdM

I've been using it with no problems. I just had to add a Scotch tape tail to it so I can get it out of the SD slot on my Mac. I'm currently working on a bootstrap script that requires me to re-image an SD for every test cycle. It's really nice to have 2 cards for that!
-- Bruno Bronosky
1x RPi 1 (B)
1x RPi 1+ (B)
2x RPi 2
11x RPi 3
4x RPi Zero W
2x RPi camera module
3x AIY Voice kits
https://github.com/RichardBronosky/pi-gen-extender
https://github.com/RichardBronosky/raspbian-boot-setup

loudaslife

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 am

I just tried this myself and look what happened.

I'm not making this up. There isn't even a mark on the SD card.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:31 am

loudaslife wrote:I'm not making this up. There isn't even a mark on the SD card.
Unlucky.

ramstrong

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm

The very definition of Hacker. I salute you. Too risky for me, though. I'll stick with Micro adapter instead, even though I have Dremel I can use for the project. ;)
Raspberry Pi Journal: http://simpletongeek.blogspot.com/p/raspberry-pi-journal-directory_4.html

chairsgotoschool

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Nice but i find it easier ot just rip it in half, measure how much to cut then cut the halves separately then put it all back together with glue. also if you want a small sd to micro sd you can do something similar, its harder and riskier but i just my adapter and ripped it open, bent the pins back so instead of going away from the circuit board it went over it, then i got the top half and cut roughly the shape of the micro sd out and adjusted the pins as need then cut it all down and glued it together, the top half should help hold the pins against the micro sd. like i said its a little risky, chance of breaking pins, its hard to get them all to make a good consistent connection but it was worth it to me at least.

Fr4gg0r

Wed May 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Has anyone tried with a more expensive card, for example a 32GB card from Samsung?
I have the model MB-SSBGAEU, as you can see on the photo, the inner part is completely sealed. Apparently the card is waterproof..
Attachments
IMG_20140528_165926.jpg
IMG_20140528_165926.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 28525 times

Jim JKla

Wed May 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Getting a micro SD converter has to be cheaper than a wasted 32G SD
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

DougieLawson

Wed May 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Jim JKla wrote:Getting a micro SD converter has to be cheaper than a wasted 32G SD
One like this: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2013/10/25 ... -macbooks/
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Fr4gg0r

Wed May 28, 2014 4:58 pm

So cost of new micro sd card + adapter < 0 .. :)

Mortimer

Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Fr4gg0r wrote:Has anyone tried with a more expensive card, for example a 32GB card from Samsung?
I have the model MB-SSBGAEU, as you can see on the photo, the inner part is completely sealed. Apparently the card is waterproof..
Looks like an MMC card like that.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Jim JKla

Wed May 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Or this one

Link to e-bay page

patrikg

Wed May 28, 2014 6:29 pm

Look at this sd card trix, also know that many sd card's can be cheep copys.

http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/201 ... _xobs.html

Mortimer

Thu May 29, 2014 8:13 am

Thought so here is an old MMC card I had lying around...

--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Fr4gg0r

Thu May 29, 2014 12:51 pm

It's an SD card

Mortimer

Thu May 29, 2014 1:19 pm

It is in as far as it will plug into an SD-card slot and in many cases actually work, although 512MB is hardly useful nowadays. The form factor is different though. It is much thinner than an SD-card, and doesn't have the 'fences' between the contacts like an SD-card. An SD-card has a stepped profile if you look at it from an end. The widest part is the same width as this MMC card, the stepped in part is missing from this card. Also notice that one of the contacts is missing compared to an SD-card.
--------------

Fr4gg0r

Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/downl ... hp?id=6964

According to Wikipedia an SD card has 9 contacts, which my card has. An MMC has 7.

Return to “Other projects”