Belkiolle

Re: ModMyPi Mk.2 USB Hub, 2.5'' HDD, Patch Bay, On/Off - Ide

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:40 am

Something to think about for the HDD enclosure:

I can't tell much from the pictures about how the enclosure actually attaches to the upper case.

Would it be possible to fit mounts for two of the enclosures on the bottom of the case while preserving the mounts as you rendered for the single enclosure? This would provide stability for those who are requesting a base the same size as the case while leaving the option for people who like it as shown with one enclosure in the middle.

This would serve several other purposes moving forward with modularity (not sure that is a word) as well.

I'm very much looking forward to this case being on the market. It's exactly what I've been trying to work up for a home theater setup.

Gary Littlemore

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:43 pm

@ModMyPi any update please?
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

dan3008

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:16 pm

From whats been said, I shouldnt imagine it will be long now :)

I really want to get my hands on one of these, along with a new Pi so i can get on with building my media center :D
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:58 am

This project is still very much alive, we've simply been waiting on final revision components from all over the place. Playing with prototypes is always a good game too :roll:

Big update next week hopefully!
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

dan3008

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 pm

:D
This is amazing news

This is going to be the perfect case for my Pi XMBC and smart tv setup :D

whitepyro

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:18 am

I'm really looking forward to this announcement. I've been waiting to hear news, and registered just to comment on this.

cheechoun

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:20 am

I too would be very interested in this case. Does ModMyPi have a contract email for OEM enquiries?

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:21 pm

cheechoun wrote:I too would be very interested in this case. Does ModMyPi have a contract email for OEM enquiries?
If you pop an email over to [email protected] they'll help you out :D
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

whitepyro

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Any new updates to this announcement that might have happened last week? :*( ...

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:04 am

whitepyro wrote:Any new updates to this announcement that might have happened last week? :*( ...
Not yet, we're still waiting on some parts unfortunately, and it's a Chinese National Holiday this week :roll:

Gary Littlemore

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am

modmypi wrote:
whitepyro wrote:Any new updates to this announcement that might have happened last week? :*( ...
Not yet, we're still waiting on some parts unfortunately, and it's a Chinese National Holiday this week :roll:
Any news on the custom cables, are we able to buy just the cables yet?

BBsan2k

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Can you tell us about the current state of this case?
Are there any new Design Prototypes (especially regarding the HDD Bay)

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Quick Update

Apologies for the delay in getting another update out. We've been waiting for final revision of cables and the hub to come in from the East. Had a couple of minor setbacks, but I didn't really want to update before we had an actual working prototype! If you want more minor updates, you can follow us on twitter @modmypi - we poke out a picture every now and then :D

The good news is that it works! I'm much happier with the cable runs; it's all a lot neater, and the hubs are spot on.

The next stage is a bit more testing on the electronic side. First indications look good though.

We've had some feedback from a few potential customers wanting a larger PSU e.g. 4A+ The problem is that we start treading into territory that means we have to build a bespoke hub PCB. At the moment, the hub we're using it a modified unit currently on the market, which does the job very well. We've already modified it to take a 2.5A PSU, but that's really the top of its comfortable range. This will easily power the Pi, WiFi Dongle, USB IR device & a HDD (for XBMC), or a bunch of controllers for a gaming platform etc. so as far as I'm aware it'll be more than suitable for the majority of applications. We've also tried to blow it up by directly wiring in a couple of motors, and couldn't even get the Pi to restart, so it's definitely capable. It's also a mass produced part, which means we can offer it at a reasonable price!

You're looking at adding an additional £10+ to the price for something bigger and bespoke, which isn't impossible but will require a lot more time to develop. However, the great thing about the design is that you can always whip out the original kit, and replace it with what's required. So, what we can do is offer the original package, and then potentially offer an upgrade kit for those that require it in the future. This isn't in the pipeline, but it's an idea and something we can work on.

What's next. . ?

More testing electronically. We still haven't managed to blow it up (with some serious trying), so I'd like to try harder to get some realistic limits in place.

Waiting on a bunch of HDD enclosures to make sure we have a range that fit in the bracket, and some HDD's from our supplier so we can offer them as bundles for the XBMC users.

Don't want to jinx it but; :twisted: The Raspberry Pi Foundation :twisted: have agreed to look over the product and potentially endorse it (if they like what they see), so we're working them them here. Hence the inclusion of the logo in the top recess. That recess is also the right size for a half size breadboard, and any companies that want self branding can plop a sticker over it. Smart huh!

Another update in 1 - 2 weeks once we've had various partners and testers look over it. We'll then be moving forward with the product via a short Kickstarter. The set up costs are prohibitive for us to simply say go! But, we'll be happy to move forward with it once we've secured a few orders. We'll be offering the kickstarter units at a nice discount, to thank everyone who's kindly donated their time and ideas to getting this project off the ground, so we'll try and make everyone aware of it when it goes ahead!

We're also working on a 'flat' window, for those that have no need for the raised window. This one will be designed to sit flush with the top of the case, making it less hacky/techy and even more lounge suitable. :lol:

Pictures

Image Image Image

Basic Assembly

1. Image 2. Image 3. Image

4. Image 5. Image 6. Image

7. Image 8. Image 9. Image

Side Views

Image Image Image

Window Usage

Bare/GPIO Breakout/PiFace/Adafruit LCD Kit

Image Image Image Image

Gaming!

Image Image

RaspberryPiBeginners

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:03 pm

The Mk2 case is a looking great. It looks like you've had a similar idea to once i've had before and failed to make into an actual 3D model.

I think with the hub and HDD you are making it a little too niche. Have you thought about the extra space just being more of a free development area? Sell a number of boards like the Adafruit Perma-Proto and allow users to have this as a case designed to protect their prototypes.
Click here for my unofficial YouTube Channel > http://goo.gl/oFYBD

Cheetah

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 pm

RaspberryPiBeginners wrote:I think with the hub and HDD you are making it a little too niche. Have you thought about the extra space just being more of a free development area? Sell a number of boards like the Adafruit Perma-Proto and allow users to have this as a case designed to protect their prototypes.
Personally I find the included hub to be one of the most attractive features of this case. The wiring mess created by powering a Pi and connecting it to a hub is one of the biggest problems with the device, IMO. And from the design of the case, it looks like you could probably remove the hub and provide your own power supply in its place without much difficulty, freeing up that internal space for a perma-proto board or something similar.

dan3008

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 pm

I for one cant wait for this case to be out. I'm looking at using my pi (one of them) as a media center, and i think this will fit the bill nicely.

Gary Littlemore

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Cheers, It's looking amazing. Any pictures with a HDD enclosed?

Jb2cool

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:Cheers, It's looking amazing. Any pictures with a HDD enclosed?
Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe the hard drive is 'enclosed'. I believe it's an additional bracket that clips to the bottom of this case.

Cheetah

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:07 pm

modmypi wrote: Image Image
I realize there's nothing you can do about it, certainly at this point, but it's unfortunate that the arrangement of the header(s) on the Pi mean that the ribbon cable is on the "far side", so you can't combine the LCD plate and the ribbon cable to a proto board. From the assembly shots it looks like it would be tricky & kludgy at best to try and flip the Pi 180 degrees inside the case, though maybe not impossible. Re-routing the HDMI & Ethernet connectors looks non-trivial.

MarkDaniels

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:26 pm

This is great news. I have been working on a similar idea of and on since the Pi launched, but always hit a roadblock with extending the Pi's connectors. Sourcing the parts and making the cables was a real problem, but the idea of using moulded connectors and having retaining points in the case for them is inspirational. I was working around having a SATA drive in enclosure and do hope that this will be possible in this design.

I have never liked the Pi-sized plastic enclosures and had really expected something like this to be launched long before now. As soon as this launches on Kickstarter I will be signing up for one.

The most important things on my wish list for this are the integral USB hub and the possibility of mounting a HDD internally. It would be nice if there was space for a full size 3.5" one, but 2.5" will do.

magnuse

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 am

I think the case looks great, can´t wait to by one.
Have you considered changing the power switch to something similar to the Pi Supply Switch that triggers a shutdown of the pi before cutting power, and also cuts power if the pi is shut down by software. Se http://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-sup ... er-switch/ for more info.

Regards
/Magnus

j7ody

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Just wanted to post a quick response on the forum, came across the thread while searching for such as case and will definitely be following the progress of this unit ready to purchase when it appears.
J

Logan007

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Being new to the forum and having never ever worked with the Raspberry Pi and always refrained because of the lack of an adequate case, I will surely back! What a great idea! Hope to start RasPi'ing around christmas... looking forward to it... can't wait... :D

BBsan2k

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:13 pm

:) Any update on this? I was hoping to make a christmas present out of this ;)

Sadiablo

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:26 am

Any update on when this will be available?

Return to “Other projects”