Daan Damhuis

Mineral Oil - Raspberry Pi

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Hello Everyone,

A few years ago i've tried this with a huge aquarium, but it failed and it failed hard, if i'm not mistaken there where almost 50 liters of mineral oil on the floor because we had a leak overnight. But a few days ago, when i was trying to think up a case for my Raspberry Pi, i thought maybe i can build the same only smaller..

So i went to the local garden store and bought a Fish "farm" aquarium (1 Liter), one air pump and some aquarium decoration, cost me just $30,- or something like it.

After that i installed SqueezePlug and enabled AirPlay.. Tested it for a few hours and then placed it all it the aquarium.

I will now let it run for a week or two and hope it will run as it should. Also i need to wait 2 weeks for the rest of my stuff arrives like a 90 degrees HDMI adapter, LCD Screen 16x2 and a few more things. I Hope that i can fit the LCD screen in the aquarium and display the song which is playing trough AirPlay.

Let me know what you think i can / should do with the Raspberry Pi and the aquarium. :D

Paul Webster

Re: Mineral Oil - Raspberry Pi

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

I think it looks great ... But hopefully no school kids will be inspired to see if it looks even better with real fish in the classroom!

Daan Damhuis

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 pm

It can be an option... =) But for anyone who is interested.. i ran this command to see the temperature of the raspberry pi..

[email protected]:~# /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=23.9'C

I don't know what the default running temp is of a raspberry pi with SqueezePlug, but i notice when RaspBMC was idle the temp was around 50.0 C

Metatronin

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:30 am

you could always make solar powered mini robots for the tank if you want some kind of activity in the tank. I would love to do this but would first need to extend the SD card out of the tank so i don't need to ever take the rpi out of the oil. Do they make SD extension cables or would I need to make one myself?

Daan Damhuis

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 am

Where can i order these? =)

Dilligaf

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 am

Daan Damhuis wrote:
Where can i order these? =)
Really? Google is your friend. Do a search for "sd extension cable" and you will be overwhelmed with places begging to sell them to you.

ro6er

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:16 am

Can't see the images :( And I really want to see the images.

Daan Damhuis

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 pm

ro6er wrote:Can't see the images :( And I really want to see the images.
Here you go! =)

This one is from last night, the leds are now placed under the gravel

SniperPilotX

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:06 am

Hi my "real name" is Austin, sorry cant give out last name becasue of goverment protection 8-) 8-) :| 8-) 8-) , but besides the point, I am a freshman at Las Vegas Academy for performing arts and international studies, YES, the REAL SIN CITY!!! :) I am very interested in purchasing 1 or more raspberry pi's. I was espeacially interested in this mineral oil rasp. pi postings. To my knowledge, mineral oil doesn't conduct electricity, but my real question is, can this setup be made into a portable system? i have drawn a CAD drawing of my future system. i was wondering, can 2 rasp. pi's be connected together to allow for a combined amount of ram, processor speed, and graphics? i am buying a 10 in touch screen, a 3 port usb adapter, and a big enough flat battery pack to power all this. plus, im liquid sealing my home built tablet case to allow for mineral oil cooling. Any major suggestions that may help me? :?:

Burngate

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:59 am

SniperPilotX wrote:Hi my "real name" is Austin
Good Morning, Mr Powers
SniperPilotX wrote:I am very interested in purchasing 1 or more raspberry pi's.
You and a million others
SniperPilotX wrote:can this setup be made into a portable system?
Only if you consider an aquarium to be portable
SniperPilotX wrote: can 2 rasp. pi's be connected together to allow for a combined amount of ram, processor speed, and graphics?
Search Bramble
SniperPilotX wrote:i am buying a 10 in touch screen, a 3 port usb adapter, and a big enough flat battery pack to power all this. plus, im liquid sealing my home built tablet case to allow for mineral oil cooling. Any major suggestions that may help me? :?:
Apart from saying cooling the Pi isn't normally necessary, and mineral oil isn't necessarily the best way to do it, do whatever ticks your boxes.
The forum is full of good ideas. Also bad ideas, zany ideas, and ideas that don't fit in any catagory. It'll take you a while to find your way around, but keep looking

SniperPilotX

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks and it isnt powers, my last name is actually confidential, not kidding, But thank you for the feedback, if i do actually build it, i will post photos, im only truly interested in fully overclocking it!!! any suggestions on what size batery?

Burngate

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:35 pm

SniperPilotX wrote:Thanks and it isnt powers, my last name is actually confidential, not kidding,
Sorry :oops: You're probably fed up with that non-joke
SniperPilotX wrote: But thank you for the feedback, if i do actually build it, i will post photos,
Pictures! We love Pictures! :D
SniperPilotX wrote: im only truly interested in fully overclocking it!!! any suggestions on what size batery?
Battery size is difficult. It depends on how long you want it to run, and what the screen takes, what the usb hub is feeding, ...
Lots of threads around on this, with lots of answers.

Overclocking: again lots of threads. You'll maybe get 1GHz from the arm, and varying amounts out of the GPU, depending on over-volting the cores.
They say you still don't need cooling, but it can't hurt, and can be fun. My feeling is mineral oil won't cool much, because the chip is under the memory, and because the oil is too viscous to convect much. But who cares? Try it!

ro6er

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:52 am

Great case! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

SniperPilotX

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:40 am

TRULY I cant tell you, this always happens on any forum, but yea, i have read up on the ramble and Beowulf posts, i have ordered 4 raspberry pi's, and im buying micro heat sinks for each of the CPU's and GPU's, i have gotten the cad drawing done for the tablet case, but im looking at buying a 4000mah or 4500mah battery pack to power all of these, im hoping i can get it all together and mineral oil cool it, thanks for all the help

Gerrelt

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Very nice, looks great! :mrgreen:
I like the blue beetle in it.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

fatcinco

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 am

aTao

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 am

Some mineral oils have additives to make them conductive to prevent static electricity build up. Some have solvents to prevent dirt build up. Best be sure just what is added before you dunk your RPi lest it goes all soggy and falls in half like a biscuit in tea.

Oil is used for cooling transformers so its not all bad, maybe a link or reference to a grade that is safe would help.
>)))'><'(((<

Jb2cool

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 pm

What kind of radiator are you using on this to dump any heat accumulated?

Daan Damhuis

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 am

Jb2cool wrote:What kind of radiator are you using on this to dump any heat accumulated?
It doesn't heat up that much with my experience, stayed a nice 27 degrees Celsius

Daan Damhuis

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 am

fatcinco wrote:Image
Love what you've done, what is used for?

Return to “Other projects”