ralphbsz

Pi0w case with two hats

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Is there any case for the Pi Zero W that can handle two hats, and fully enclose the whole stack? I have zero-size hats, and I'm looking for a zero-sized case; I know about Pi 2/A/B/3 cases, but I don't have much room in my intended application (without having to spend extra hours stringing wires, which I'm trying to avoid). If not two hats, at least one? I can even keep the hat pretty flat by giving up on terminal blocks, and run the data acquisition cables to external connectors.

So far, the best solution I've come up with is the Pibow case (which is just a stack of cut flat plastic plates): buy a few of them, stack extra hollow plates around the hat (inside the case), and use longer screws. Perhaps the Papirus case would work: Use the space it has to the display hat for my data acquisition hat instead. A DIN rail case would be ideal, but so far I can only find DIN rail cases that are for the generic Pi family, and way too large for the Pi zero.

The last time this topic was discussed here, there was no answer, but that was a year ago, perhaps there has been progress since.

Imperf3kt

Re: Pi0w case with two hats

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Do you have access to a 3d printer or online service and some calipers?

If you cannot find a case, maybe you can design one?
Stephen Hawking, rest in peace.
8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

ralphbsz

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 pm

I've even found CAD files for Pi zero cases, which one could modify. But honestly, I'd rather throw $10 or $20 at it, rather than spending many hours designing my own case; I've never done my own 3d-printed stuff, and the learning curve would probably eat a weekend.

Matter-of-fact, if I had a weekend, I would probably just extend all the wires to where there is an industrial control enclosure with ample room, put the Pi into a DIN rail case, and be done.

pcmanbob

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Considering how many add on boards /hats there are for the pi its unlikely that you will find a case that can accept a pi zero and the two add on boards you want to use with it.

if you think about it there must be several hundred combinations of pi and add on boards no one is going to produce a case that will cover all possibility's as they might only ever sell one if some one wanted to use that particular combination of pi and add on boards.

so your possible solutions are
design and build your own
use generic pcb project case
use existing case with modifications.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

ralphbsz

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Sniff sniff. You are probably right. More work for me, to get a generic box, and spend an evening drilling and cutting it. Or learning some CAD package and having it printed.

I'll get over it, using some alcohol. On me, not on the Pi :)

Imperf3kt

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

If it is of any use to you, just yesterday I posted a free CAD designed Pi0 base which I created (with minimal CAD knowledge) in around 2 hours.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=205911

You are more than welcome to use it as a stepping stone to speed up your process.

Everything was measured to a precision of 0.01mm and aside from a few visual only imperfections, it suits its purpose well.
Stephen Hawking, rest in peace.
8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

Return to “Other projects”