Lob0426

Zebra Zero Plus Breadboard case.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 am

Just bought the C4 Labs Zebra Zero Plus Breadboard Case.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9 ... UTF8&psc=1
I also bought a Raspberry Pi Zero W "essentials kit"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC ... UTF8&psc=1

I soldered in the female header from the essentials kit onto the zero. I have male/male wires so made more sense. Installed the latest Raspbian Stretch to a 8GB SD card. Assembled the case and board. No problems, a wonder how easy it is to setup the newest Raspbian. I should have made it even easier and used NOOBS.
IMG_1378.JPG
IMG_1378.JPG (235.02 KiB) Viewed 814 times
So first of all it can be a bear to get all 6 screws into the case. The screws come in from the bottom and the nuts go on the top. You will get it but expect to be chasing screws and nuts until you finally get them all in. My suggestion to C4 Labs would be to make the bottom plate screw holes just fit, or a slight press fit, so the case can be assembled easier. This is a typical layered case with 5 layers. You get a Business card sized illucstrated instructions for proper assembly. Take your time and make sure the plates are flipped the right way. Plus make sure you use the two plastic washer/spacers in the right place. The breadboard has Double sided tape on its bottom to stick it to the bottom plate.

All of the parts are Laser cut with decently clean edges. No sharp edges. Hint on assembly, get the two screws in, that have the spacers go on them first. The other four go through all 5 layers and are easy. Another item here is the case did not come with rubber feet it slides all over the table. The Zero essentials kit did come with some, so they were put to use! I recommend you wipe down the underside of the top clear plate with alcohol to get the contact paper out of the laser engraving.
IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG (196.79 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Overall the case works well. It is low and flat just slightly thicker than a Smart Phone. It has the GPIO labels lasered into the top plate. It also has labels for the USB and Power. Combined with the essentials kit I got everything I needed to get it up and running in cables. I still had to come up with a MicroSd card, power supply and a monitor.

Recommendations;
Needs rubber feet.
Resize bottom plate screw holes for light press fit for easier assembly.
Larger instructions for those of us with older eyes!
Breadboard had a slight bow to it.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Lob0426

Re: Zebra Zero Plus Breadboard case.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 pm

The female header with male/male wires works well. I tried a T-Cobbler, from Adafruit, it takes up too much space on the breadboard. I use PuTTY and XRDP To control the system remotely (headless). I have also tried a Rii wireless keyboard with dongle and a true Bluetooth keyboard with mouse pad. All have worked pretty well for headed operation. Video was through a 19" R/V style TV (12V adapter). It has HDMI and a USB.

The Zero W plus breadboard hands down wins on size, compared to a B+, loses on USB ports, but the WiFi and Bluetooth go a long way towards making up for the lack of USB. The need for adapters to connect to USB and HDMI take away from it's low price. But then try finding them for the $10 and it is next to impossible. They are almost all bundled with the adapters and other "value added" accessories. I paid $24 and ended up with adapters and with a bunch of extra header pins.

Overall nice board and case. Happy with both!

Now if they just had a Pi3 Zero! LOL!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “Other projects”