climy

Re-Purpose for Reelbox AVG Front Panel Graphic LCD

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 pm

reel_fp_front.jpg
reel_fp_front.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 507 times
I am new to RPi projects however like ones reusing out of date electronics using the Raspberry Pi.

My now defunct Reelbox I (AVG), (a linux Media center from Germany but similar to Kodi) is sitting around looking for something to be made into. It used to play movies, satellite and CD music and display titles on this front panel display graphic. I really like the front panel with brightly lit switches for power and a 32 x 128 graphic lcd but I think the original interface is serial. The good news is there is a lot of info here: http://www.easy-vdr.de/forum/index.php?topic=15226.0

How can i adapt this or use a Raspberry Pi 3 to re-purposes this panel for a Streaming web Radio application?
reel_fp_back.jpg
reel_fp_back.jpg (139.48 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Thanks for any input.
Cl.
Last edited by climy on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

climy

Re: Re-Purpose for Reelbox AVG Front Panel Graphic LCD

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 am

There is a lot going on with this display beside a serial interface. This design is similar to the AVR GLCD projects. When I open up the back, found the following...an ATMEGA8515-16 driving the LCD, buttons and the IR detector for a remote.

Credit BM2LTS Mr. Schulze, the alternative Reelbox image developer for adding this circuit that is a hack to interface the Reel front panel for an Intel Atom board. I would really like to use a Raspberry Pi. I guess I'll breadboard his TTL serial communication circuit and a terminal program to see how I can bit-bang this to work.
glcd_back.jpg
glcd_back.jpg (130.8 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Any suggestions?
Attachments
BM2LTS_ckt.JPG
BM2LTS_ckt.JPG (54.72 KiB) Viewed 456 times

Return to “Cases”