coldnpale

Passive cooled case for emulators

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 pm

I apologise if my topic is irrelevant, I wasn't sure where exactly to post this.
I am planning on using my rpi3 for emulation which means cpu will be a bit more stressed.
Before using a fan I wanna try the best possible setup for passive cooling. I have a nice little alu case with some holes on the sides andI am going to use a heatsink for the cpu.

What do you think is the best way to mount the heatsink?
I comes already with some thin (thermal?) tape so I can just stick it on the cpu, but I also happen to have some Arctic Thermal Pad.
https://www.arctic.ac/de_en/thermal-pad.html

Do you think I could to see any extra decrease in temps with it?
Also, am I allowed to use such a thermalpad between the cpu and the heatsink? Or is it only for cooling other components? I'm asking because in a review I read it's not supposed to be used on cpu's, but I didn't understand if they meant without any heatsink/cooler.

Thanks in advance!

gkreidl

Re: Passive cooled case for emulators

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Get a FLIRC case.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

coldnpale

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I already have a case (ICY BOX IB-RP102). I might invest in a second case if I get problems.

awillame

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:11 pm

This one have some good cooling performances for passively cooled Raspberry Pi case, and a reset button (always handy):

Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158301

HawaiianPi

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:21 pm

coldnpale wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 pm
I already have a case (ICY BOX IB-RP102). I might invest in a second case if I get problems.
You should have bought a Flirc case.

The case you have is nothing more than a pretty Pi case. The aluminum construction does nothing for the cooling. Adding a heatsink alone will only prolong the inevitable thermal throttling, because the heat still has to be extracted from the case. If you are trying to use a passive heatsink for cooling you are better off not using a case at all. Otherwise you'll need to add a fan to the case, which creates noise and dust problems.

The top and sides of the Flirc case is a single piece of aluminum that makes contact with the SoC (CPU/GPU) and acts as a huge heatsink. It will keep your Pi3 cool without a noisy, dusty fan. The bottom and area near the WiFi/Bluetooth antenna is plastic, so using a Flirc case with a Raspberry Pi3 has a negligible effect on wireless performance. Note that there is an original and Gen2 Flirc case, and the Gen2 is designed for the Raspberry Pi3B (the original was for the PiB+ and Pi2B).

Most of the tiny, cheap heatsinks sold for the Raspberry Pi computers have nothing more than double-sticky tape on them. They don't actually have any thermal interface material, so removing that tape and using a proper thermal adhesive will help, but I don't think those Arctic pads you linked to are adhesive.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

runboy93

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Get heatsink from this:
https://kintaro.co/shop/super-kuma-case ... y-kintaro-

Include low profile heatsink to bottom, use Akasa thermal tape.

Place this awesome (costly) overall in Akasa aluminum case.
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl= ... A-RA03-A1B

Return to “Other projects”