InsertTitle

Any recommendations for CAD software for 3D printing cases?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Just finished the circuit board design for my personal project and now I'm currently looking at designing a enclosure for the housing of the circuit board and its sensors / camera.

Does anyone have any recommendations for CAD software that I can learn and use to make the housing?

I'm a complete beginner when coming to 3D modelling with minimal exposure to 3D Max. I want the output product to be either something I can mass produce or 3D printable.

Help would be greatly appreciated as I haven't a clue as where to start.

Gavinmc42

Re: Any recommendations for CAD software for 3D printing cases?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 am

I use Freecad to make step files I can import into Altium for 3D placement for PCB layout ideas.
I tried many CAD programs, Freecad was the quickest to learn, been using it for years now.
https://www.freecadweb.org/

Simple case is as easy as make a box, make a smaller box, boolean subtract from first one.
It does simple stuff quickly ;)
I don't like to spend time learning CAD like Blender which does much, much more.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

MarkJ62

Re: Any recommendations for CAD software for 3D printing cases?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:37 am

The 3D printing company I used were using SolidWorks 3D. I gave them a copy of the Pi mechanicals as a DXF file that they imported into it. They spent about an hour taking my hand drawings to get onto the computer. After that I had a session with them that was around 30 mins to fix up design details before doing a print.

Return to “Cases”