EULERPI

Fix for problem with Mini HDMI adapter in Pi Zero case

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi,

I found that with the new Official Pi Zero case the HDMI to mini HDMI adapters wouldn't reliably stay plugged into the Pi Zero W.
The adapters are from the Pi Hut UK and Pimoroni UK.

I looked at a copy of the HDMI mechanical specification and the length of the Mini HDMI plug body does not seem to be specified.

So to get a reliable HDMI connection to the Zero W I got my razor saw and file out and took 1.5mm off the plastic at the plug end of the adapter. No metal shielding was exposed.

Regards

Nick

alphanumeric

Re: Fix for problem with Mini HDMI adapter in Pi Zero case

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 pm

There are MINI HDMI to HDMI monitor cables out there. I have some here as my PC's GT640 has MINI HDMI on it. I don't remember where I bought them though, it was most likely NewEgg. I don't have the new Pi Foundation Zero case to try them on but they work fine with the PIBOW case I have on hand. I find them easier to work with than using big cumbersome adapters. Nice and long and thin.

gregeric

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Yes, it seems your mini-HDMI plug needs to be about 8mm long to fully insert when in the new official case. The adapters that I've acquired in bundles have been universally 6mm long, so don't engage fully.

startrek.steve

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Mine works ok, although I only used it for setting up as I use it mainly headless.

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

kgbman

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:29 pm

I had the same problem with the FREE RPi Zero W + Case + Adapter I have just received with my subscription to The MagPi.

Less than 5 minutes careful work with a hack-saw, and all is fine now.
(It was much easier than soldering the pin headers. ;-) )

Thanks for posting the problem, and the solution(s). I had considered widening the hole in the case, which would have been much harder and less effective.

I will also be drilling a small hole in in the lid of the case, (just above the green led), so I can see when it is safe to power down following a "power off".

Ray

Return to “Cases”