micniel

Outdoor casing for Pi 2 and Sense HAT

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:48 am

Does anyone know if there's an outdoor case for the Pi 2 and the Sense HAT?

bugsy_malone 666

Re: Outdoor casing for Pi 2 and Sense HAT

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:30 am

When you say outdoor case, what sort of use are we talking about here?

Ultimately I would just suggest getting an IP65 rated enclosure and make mounts inside yourself, but depends on what your going to use it for?

ajalele

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:14 pm

I have the same question as micniel. I plan to use mine for the weather sensors on the sense hat. I am having trouble figuring how to protect the whole unit but still allow it to get accurate temp, humidity, and barometric readings.

alphanumeric

Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:53 pm

I plan on using something like this, https://www.adafruit.com/products/905 Mine will be battery powered and portable. I will drill vent holes in the bottom, and maybe a few in the sides too. Mine won't be left outside permanently. I want the clear cover because I use the LED matrix to show a scrolling date, time, temp, humidity, pressure message. basically a weather clock. My sense hat is mounted to an A+ so hopefully I have room for a decent sized battery and the powerboost charger. The only other thing I've seen that would work for me is to 3D print an actual astro pi case.

scotty101

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:02 pm

ajalele wrote:I have the same question as micniel. I plan to use mine for the weather sensors on the sense hat. I am having trouble figuring how to protect the whole unit but still allow it to get accurate temp, humidity, and barometric readings.
I think it is fairly well documented that the Sense Hat's temperature readings are effected by the heat given off by the Raspberry Pi itself.

If you really want accurate readings AND have the Pi in a weather proof enclosure then you are probably better off not using the Sense hat and use seperate sensors.
These sensors can sit in a 'splash' proof case where they can still read the outside environment but the rest of the electronics can be housed in an IP65 rated box and the connecting wires are appropriately routed such as to not damage the protection methods of the IP65 box.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

alphanumeric

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 pm

I have a proto board with a tall stacking header soldered to it in between my Pi and my sense hat. A hat on a hat. Temp reading are accurate now for ambient. I may have issues once its in a case, but right now its working the way I want. That's why I'll be drilling vent holes in my case. My case is more for getting caught in a rain shower and or drop protection.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:32 pm

Here's an interesting experiment you can try out. Take two boxes, one with a waterproof seal and one with an open end. Mount them both on a pole with the open end of the one box pointing down. Leave them there for six months or a couple of years.

You will find that the open box holds nothing but dead spiders. It has obviously been dry at least most of the time. However the sealed one will contain a significant amount of water.

What happens is that when the sun sets the box cools. The air inside contracts and that pulls air in from outside. The air cools further during the night and the little amount of water vapour it contains condenses out. Then in the morning the box gets warm and expells the excess air but not the water. Over time the amount of water in the box continues to increase until it goes from invisible drops to visible ones, teaspoons-full and finally fractions of a box-full.

So you don't only have to make a box waterproof, you need to make it air-tight enough to withstand pressure differences.

Or you can give it vent holes and protect those holes from direct or splashing rain. The inside of the box will then get condensation on it in some weathers but that will evaporate off quite quickly.

Return to “Other projects”