pepperymint

Old Macbook to Raspberry Pi?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 am

I've got an old Macbook (2006, can get all the details if needed but it's in a drawer right now) that I don't use anymore. I've wanted a Raspberry Pi for a while, and now I'm thinking it would make a good case. Problem: I have no idea where to start. I took apart my desktop computers in college to see if I could put them back together, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

1. Is this too big a project for a newbie? I like to tinker, but I think anything that requires major mechanical skills might overwhelm me. I'd rather have a working desktop computer than a laptop project I never finish. (I'd like to reuse parts if I can, but I'm more than happy to gut the thing and start from scratch if that's easier, I mostly just like the old case.)

2. I looked around for a guide but didn't find much; is there somewhere that runs through the basics of reusing a laptop?

Thanks.

mattmiller

Re: Old Macbook to Raspberry Pi?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:43 am

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDGlnrqdBqxL at 26:15 onwards should give you an overview of the process

Bonesman69

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 am

We must think the same. I dug out my RP the other day and installed Retropi and in process of getting that set up. I was also thinking how I can make it portable with screen etc.
Remembered I had an old MacBook (not working) and thought - pull the guts out of it and use that as the case.
Well I have done that today but not moved on any more - yet.
I am calling it an "ApplePi"
See what goes over time :)

pepperymint

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 pm

You guys are awesome! This link looks super helpful. Thanks.

gambaguru

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:52 pm

The video link given upthread seems not to have the presentation there anymore, but there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mrRFF72AZU

What an awesome idea!

I may just have to have a try at making myself a PiPismo, since the old Pismo is pretty much dead, but I think the video works. (What a great piece of design that Pismo case is, too!).

mattmiller

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Video link upthread still working for me

pepperymint

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 am

A belated thanks! The YouTube video looks a bit intimidating. D: But I don't want to make my own case, I just want to install the Pi in an existing Macbook case. Hopefully that will be easier. (Should be able to get my kit in March.)

Return to “Cases”