opi

Official Raspberry Pi 3 Case

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:11 am

I recently received the official case for the Raspberry Pi 3, and because of the changes made on the inside, HATs will not fit inside the case. This is not just because of the GPIO header, which I had previously addressed, but the clips on the inside of the front (side with the LEDs) of the case.

I'm confused why the Raspberry Pi Foundation would make them incompatible. Was this an accident, or are the use of HATs inside cases officially discouraged? I'm also rather disappointed, because I assumed any changes made would be to make the case MORE compatible, not LESS!

Hadlock

Re: Official Raspberry Pi 3 Case

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:49 am

I ran in to the same issue. Ended up doing some major surgery to get my adafruit PWM/servo control HAT to fit using a dremel tool and grinder. I was hoping that maybe there was a v1.1 or v1.2 that maybe added the (neccessary!) 2-3mm on X, Y and Z axes for things to work correctly. I really love the case and how it's designed, it's just... slightly too small. :?

awillame

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Although the Raspberry Pi is becoming a standard for the layout of components for Single board computers, it looks like some optimisation can still be done on that side, especially for the GPIO pins, as even the designers of the official raspberry case does not allow those HATS to be used unless you cut in the case.

If you use a IDE Cable extension, you can then plug your HAT with the official Pi case. It is nevertheless of course not that nice looking with a HAT dropped next to the Raspberry Pi case...
Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158301

CraigT

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm

Just had this same issue having bought a new Raspberry Pi 3 and Unicorn HAT HD for Christmas. A few days after Christmas I was very disappointed when I tried to put them together and realised the HAT would not fit into the case.

Return to “Other projects”