CoconutPi

The Internet - IT Crowd case

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:13 am

I would like to turn the Internet (a black box) into a case for my raspberry pi. Lot of room for expansion. It's my first raspberry pi project. Ideally I would want the ethernet and USB ports flush against the side of the case. I'm going to dremel out holes for the ports. I'd like to get the HDMI and power out on the same side. There an adapter or an extender I could purchase? Where can I get a power switch for the box? The light on top works, but right now its connected to a battery and switch. Can I get it to run off the power of the raspberry pi? How can I secure the raspberry pi onto the case? From what I've seen on other projects people glue screws to a case and then place the raspberry pi on.

https://laughingsquid.com/replica-of-th ... -it-crowd/

stewart_elmwood

Re: The Internet - IT Crowd case

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:57 pm

To bring connectors to one side, you'll need panel mount adaptors, such as: If the LED is small enough, you can drive it directly from the Raspberry Pi's +5 V pin. Alternatively, drive it from a GPIO pin with gpiozero so you can make it flash comically/ominously under programme control.

Raspberry Pis don't really like to have the power pulled from them with a simple switch. This recent MagPi article shows how to add a switch to turn it on and off.

You could glue in machine screws, but perhaps better would be drill countersunk holes in the bottom of the box and use M2.5 flat head machine screws. Fasten those into standoffs inside the box, and your Raspberry pi will be fairly secure.
I work at Elmwood Electronics — Canadian Source for Raspberry Pi, Adafruit, Arduino, SparkFun and more. Local pickup available in Toronto ­— https://elmwood.to/
  (a.k.a. scruss for non-work things)

sarahgad

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:33 am

CoconutPi wrote:I would like to turn the Internet (a black box) into a case for my raspberry pi. Lot of room for expansion. It's my first raspberry pi project. Ideally I would want the ethernet and USB ports flush against the side of the case. I'm going to dremel out holes for the ports. I'd like to get the HDMI and power out on the same side. There an adapter or an extender I could purchase? Where can I get a power switch for the box? The light on top works, but right now its connected to a battery and switch. Can I get it to run off the power of the raspberry pi? How can I secure the raspberry pi onto the case? From what I've seen on other projects people glue screws to a case and then place the raspberry pi on.

https://laughingsquid.com/replica-of-th ... -it-crowd/
What you have shared i guess it is easily do able. And i would have done the same like other people do as you have mentioned in your post gluing the screws to the case and placing the R pi on it.

CoconutPi

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 am

stewart_elmwood wrote:To bring connectors to one side, you'll need panel mount adaptors, such as: If the LED is small enough, you can drive it directly from the Raspberry Pi's +5 V pin. Alternatively, drive it from a GPIO pin with gpiozero so you can make it flash comically/ominously under programme control.
I purchased the flat panel HDMI and USB cable. What would be the best method to mount it?

stewart_elmwood

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Oops, sorry about the delay in replying.

The USB cable has 4-40 screws on 18 mm centres (though I'd measure that rather than taking it as truth). A ⅛" drill (~ 3.2 mm) cuts a close clearance hole, and the slot could be cut with a Dremel or a few close drill holes widened out with a file. ABS cases take a file really well, but the little bits get everywhere.

The HDMI cable has holes on 27.9 mm centres, and again, they're 4-40.
I work at Elmwood Electronics — Canadian Source for Raspberry Pi, Adafruit, Arduino, SparkFun and more. Local pickup available in Toronto ­— https://elmwood.to/
  (a.k.a. scruss for non-work things)

Return to “Cases”