AndrevtH

waterthight case

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for a watertight case which can hold my Pi3 and the camera, but I can't find one.
Who has a hint for me where to find it?

klricks

Re: waterthight case

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:22 pm

Are you looking for weather proof or submersible? I doubt there is something specifically made for the RPi.
Here is a generic box: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... UMQAvD_BwE

If you are looking for submersible then there are many camera / video cam enclosures which could be used. Google........
Go here for my RPi writeup. Basic config, Serial Port add-on etc:
http://blackeagle12.net/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html Click contact icon then world icon --->

PiGraham

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Pi Zero should fit in most GoPro style underwater housings, but I think Pi3 is too big for that.

It is a cheap option though
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Action-Camera ... 61zWJMYwPg

You could try a similar type housing for a compact camera. This one is for a Sony Cyber shot DSC W320

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seashell-Unde ... Swx2VZgI-j

You can get plastic enclosures made of polycarbonate that have IP67 sealing and transparent lids. Those would work but it would be better to look through a glass window rather than polycarbonate.

This one is ABS with clear transparent lid and IP65. Others in the range are polycarbonate have a smoked transparent lid and IP67.

http://uk.farnell.com/fibox/ta191209t/e ... dp/2473507

Look for similar that has IP67 and a clear lid.

AndrevtH

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 am

klricks wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:22 pm
Are you looking for weather proof or submersible? I doubt there is something specifically made for the RPi.
Here is a generic box: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... UMQAvD_BwE

If you are looking for submersible then there are many camera / video cam enclosures which could be used. Google........
No, I'm not looking for something submersible. Just a case that can stand the rain. It will be place under a roof, so it won't be in the full rain though.

AndrevtH

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 am

PiGraham wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:51 pm
Pi Zero should fit in most GoPro style underwater housings, but I think Pi3 is too big for that.

It is a cheap option though
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Action-Camera ... 61zWJMYwPg

You could try a similar type housing for a compact camera. This one is for a Sony Cyber shot DSC W320

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seashell-Unde ... Swx2VZgI-j

You can get plastic enclosures made of polycarbonate that have IP67 sealing and transparent lids. Those would work but it would be better to look through a glass window rather than polycarbonate.

This one is ABS with clear transparent lid and IP65. Others in the range are polycarbonate have a smoked transparent lid and IP67.

http://uk.farnell.com/fibox/ta191209t/e ... dp/2473507

Look for similar that has IP67 and a clear lid.
Thanks for your reply. Hadn't thought of placing it in a general case (or something made for other equipment). I was just looking for a genuine Pi case, but this might be an option.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:51 am

Be aware that a case can be too waterproof.

When opening boxes that have been outside for a year or two , one often finds a significant quantity of water inside. It isn't because they have leaked in the rain, it's more insidious than that.

During the day the air is warm and warm air expands and can hold moisture. During the night the air cools. That causes a partial vacuum inside the box which pulls in extra air through the seal from outside. As the air cools further the moisture it contains condenses out. In the morning the box warms up again and the air expands and it pushed out through the seal. The box is waterproof and so the water can't get out. Every day just a tiny bit of water gets into the box, less than a drop a day. But after years you can end up with anything from a teaspoon to half the box full.

It can be a better idea to put a small hole (say 1/8") in the bottom of the box to allow water to get out. Although that might lead to more corrosion since the inside will be exposed to more air-borne water. You might get condensation on the circuit board in foggy conditions. The alternative would be an air-tight box.

AndrevtH

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:10 pm

rurwin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:51 am
Be aware that a case can be too waterproof.

When opening boxes that have been outside for a year or two , one often finds a significant quantity of water inside. It isn't because they have leaked in the rain, it's more insidious than that.

During the day the air is warm and warm air expands and can hold moisture. During the night the air cools. That causes a partial vacuum inside the box which pulls in extra air through the seal from outside. As the air cools further the moisture it contains condenses out. In the morning the box warms up again and the air expands and it pushed out through the seal. The box is waterproof and so the water can't get out. Every day just a tiny bit of water gets into the box, less than a drop a day. But after years you can end up with anything from a teaspoon to half the box full.

It can be a better idea to put a small hole (say 1/8") in the bottom of the box to allow water to get out. Although that might lead to more corrosion since the inside will be exposed to more air-borne water. You might get condensation on the circuit board in foggy conditions. The alternative would be an air-tight box.
Thanks a lot! I will somehow have to let the power cable in, so a little hole on the bottom could serve both targets...

cpunk

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Or alternatively, just put a package of moisture-absorbing silica granules along with electronics into the box. Might also help, but needs regular (yearly?) replacement.

gkaiseril

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:00 pm

For many applications, water tight cases are custom made. Also they have a working pressure range which means either too much to too little atmospheric pressure could cause a break in the seals. Also the cases, locking pieces and seals tend to be made up of different materials which have different coefficient of expansion and contraction which can result if seal failures.

I doubt that you would only open case every couple of years or so. You may need to set up maintenance schedule to check on the equipment several times year based on the change in seasons to limit the range in temperature changes to a smaller amount than the yearly range.

Users who put their equipment in extreme environments fully inspect the equipment and cases before and after each exposure session.

Remember water tight does not mean air tight, so with a water tight case, air can still infiltrate into the case that includes moisture and chemical vapors.

Ronsraspberries

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:32 pm

I have a project which I don't know if I need a waterproof case or not. It depends on the Raspberry Pi specs on humidity which I could not find. I want to put it a root cellar which can reach up to 90% humidity for some fruits and veggies. It will be inside the room similar to a moist walk-in. It is well insulated but has 2 holes in the concrete walls for intake and exhaust to bring in cold air when the outside temperature is cooler than the inside. As you can guess I will be adding 2 temp sensors (inside and out) to get their delta to control the exhaust fan.

Question: Do I need a waterproof case or what kind of case to allow connections of all the wires and probes I will need for this project?

underwhelmd

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I apologize in advance for the size of the picture but it does show in detail what you are asking about.

Generic weatherproof box from ebay or amazon. You can get them in various sizes.

Cable glands... you can get a bag of various sizes from ebay or amazon. I used a large one for the power cord so I could pass the USB cord end through it...then plugged it up so bugs don't get in. The smaller size fits the temp sensor exactly.

The camera is looking through a microscope slide that is siliconed inside the box. Optically, it's very good. I bought a box of slides from ebay for under 10$.

The camera is mounted on a 3d printed mount and the mount is then siliconed in place.

I've had several of these outside for a long time in Nova Scotian weather.... one has been out there for over a year. No humidity has built up inside yet. One of them does heat up a bit when in direct sunlight but the CPU is never over 70C.

(again, apologies for the large pic)

Imageboxoutside

big77pil

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 am

Hi, I am working on a 3d printed submersible enclosure. Hopefully it will be ready in a week.

What are the most important features you would expect from a submersible enclosure ?

PiGraham

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:00 pm

big77pil wrote:
Hi, I am working on a 3d printed submersible enclosure. Hopefully it will be ready in a week.

What are the most important features you would expect from a submersible enclosure ?
Chances are a 3D printed case won't be fully watertight, especially at pressure. You may be able to make it watertight by painting it or coating it with epoxy.

Sealing a cover or cable entry points is something to be careful about.

rpdom

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:59 pm

PiGraham wrote:
Chances are a 3D printed case won't be fully watertight
I asked someone to try and make some small 3D printed water bowls for pets. They leaked a bit.

PiGraham

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:46 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:59 pm
PiGraham wrote:
Chances are a 3D printed case won't be fully watertight
I asked someone to try and make some small 3D printed water bowls for pets. They leaked a bit.
An SLA printer might produce watertight structures but from what I've read FDM printers make structures that are inherently pours because of the way the plastic is fused. I expect powder fusing types have similar issues.

big77pil

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 pm

I am planing to use rubber like paint on the parts that come in contact with the water.
PiGraham wrote:
big77pil wrote:

Chances are a 3D printed case won't be fully watertight, especially at pressure. You may be able to make it watertight by painting it or coating it with epoxy.

Sealing a cover or cable entry points is something to be careful about.

big77pil

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:43 am

Hi guys, project is moving forward. I was hoping to be finished by now but my time is very limited. I have attached some pictures with the internal frame.
Attachments
20170916_104043.jpg
20170916_104043.jpg (94.16 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
20170916_104102.jpg
20170916_104102.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Ronaldlees

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:07 pm

I have the clear top case shown in the pic. It's pretty nice, but is not 100% watertight. It comes with a length of thin round rubber gasketing that I pushed into a slot under the lid to keep out water. Unfortunately, it's a single cut length of gasket, and not a loop like a belt. So, a small amount of water could get in through the point where the ends meet. I didn't get mine from Farnell, so it *might* not be the same one, but looks identical.

Plenty good for rain though :-)
I am The Umbrella Man

Return to “Cases”