SiriusHardware

UK: Linux / Raspberry mags fading from shelves?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:16 am

November 2015:-

Not long ago, I could walk into one of my local UK supermarkets like ASDA and there would be a good selection of Linux / Raspberry related magazines and bookazines in the computer section. I'm pretty sure the Raspberry Pi was one of the reasons, if not THE main reason why Linux periodicals were in such demand - and I'm sure they knew that, which is probably why both Linux Format and Linux Developer & User eventually had a fairly thick wedge of pages devoted to the Raspberry Pi every month.

It was a move which originally didn't seem popular among some of the original pre-Raspberry hardcore readers of those magazines (as seasoned Linux users, I can imagine they didn't appreciate that large sections of their magazines were suddenly being dumbed right down to beginner level).

I was one of the many people who first bought Linux magazines because I had been exposed to Linux by the Raspberry Pi. Before that, I had absolutely no interest in Linux at all. By itself, the Pi must have generated millions of new Linux users around the world, many of whom, like me, have gone on to install Linux on PCs and run them alongside or instead of Windows PCs.

However, there now seems to be a worrying reverse trend as the selection of Raspberry Pi specific / general Linux magazines in my Local Sainsbury and ASDA now seems to have dwindled to just a few copies of Linux Format each month. Anyone else noticing this?

ame

Re: UK: Linux / Raspberry mags fading from shelves?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:22 am

SiriusHardware wrote:November 2015:-

Not long ago, I could walk into one of my local UK supermarkets like ASDA and there would be a good selection of Linux / Raspberry related magazines and bookazines in the computer section. I'm pretty sure the Raspberry Pi was one of the reasons, if not THE main reason why Linux periodicals were in such demand - and I'm sure they knew that, which is probably why both Linux Format and Linux Developer & User eventually had a fairly thick wedge of pages devoted to the Raspberry Pi every month.

It was a move which originally didn't seem popular among some of the original pre-Raspberry hardcore readers of those magazines (as seasoned Linux users, I can imagine they didn't appreciate that large sections of their magazines were suddenly being dumbed right down to beginner level).

I was one of the many people who first bought Linux magazines because I had been exposed to Linux by the Raspberry Pi. Before that, I had absolutely no interest in Linux at all. By itself, the Pi must have generated millions of new Linux users around the world, many of whom, like me, have gone on to install Linux on PCs and run them alongside or instead of Windows PCs.

However, there now seems to be a worrying reverse trend as the selection of Raspberry Pi specific / general Linux magazines in my Local Sainsbury and ASDA now seems to have dwindled to just a few copies of Linux Format each month. Anyone else noticing this?
Probably because The Internet is now available in your area.

fruit-uk

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:14 am

Magazines come and go. They only remain in publication as long money can be made from them.
Save your money for a few O'Reilly titles - others too.
It's a shame that few places have decent bookshops any more with real books to browse through.

ame

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:17 am

fruit-uk wrote:Magazines come and go. They only remain in publication as long money can be made from them.
Save your money for a few O'Reilly titles - others too.
It's a shame that few places have decent bookshops any more with real books to browse through.
Or you could visit a "library".

fruit-uk

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:32 am

ame wrote:Or you could visit a "library".
Of course - sadly, libraries in the UK now are not what they used to be

rpdom

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:00 am

fruit-uk wrote:
Indeed. They are no longer dusty old places where you get told to "Shhhh!" all the time. Instead they are full of life and information and people (and occasionally Raspberry Pi) :)

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:07 am

rpdom wrote:
fruit-uk wrote:
Indeed. They are no longer dusty old places where you get told to "Shhhh!" all the time. Instead they are full of life and information and people (and occasionally Raspberry Pi) :)
....and Free WiFi
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

startrek.steve

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:21 am

One of the reasons why I cancelled my Linux Format subscription, was that by the time information gets in print, its out of date, If I have a problem, I ask on the forums or google it, the printed word is too out of date for tech stuff.

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

rpdom

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:49 am

startrek.steve wrote:One of the reasons why I cancelled my Linux Format subscription, was that by the time information gets in print, its out of date, If I have a problem, I ask on the forums or google it, the printed word is too out of date for tech stuff.
And yet people still refer to their K&Rs

fruit-uk

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:57 am

rpdom wrote:And yet people still refer to their K&Rs
Often quicker than wading through all the stuff google thinks you might want to buy :(

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:02 am

I suspect there may be a run on MagPi's over the next few months.

Just sayin'....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

fruit-uk

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:32 am

Mm... interesting.
Wonder how long us mere mortals will have to wait to see what that means - and who will be first to leak any news ;)

rpdom

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:41 pm

fruit-uk wrote:Mm... interesting.
Wonder how long us mere mortals will have to wait to see what that means - and who will be first to leak any news ;)
Well, 'tis almost the season for people to get their first Pi and they will be wanting to know what to do with it...

...or could be something else. We'll have to wait and see.

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:44 pm

rpdom wrote: Well, 'tis almost the season for people to get their first Pi and they will be wanting to know what to do with it...

...or could be something else. We'll have to wait and see.
Which is one of the reasons why we have a "No internet, no smart phones, no phubbing[1]" day on 25th Dec. It'll be like déjà vu all over again[2].

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phubbing Make sure you don't ever spell that with an "eff" rather than a "pee haitch"
[2]With apologies to the late Yogi Berra
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

rpdom

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:15 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Which is one of the reasons why we have a "No internet, no smart phones, no phubbing[1]" day on 25th Dec. It'll be like déjà vu all over again[2].
Heh, reminds me of one Christmas where I spent much of the day chatting with a friend on IRC, much to the disgust of her parents. They thought we should be talking, not using the laptops to communicate while sitting on the sofa together.

SiriusHardware

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 pm

ame wrote: Or you could visit a "library".
Really? Linux books in a Library? Although to be fair, I did find a copy of the third edition of "The Raspberry Pi User Guide" in a library recently. Since mine is the first edition, that was useful.

My concern about the dwindling supply of magazines isn't so much about where the information will come from now: I'm a little bit afraid that perhaps it reflects a broader wane in new interest in the Raspberry Pi and Linux generally - It didn't help that certain publishers - Linux Format's publishers, I'm looking at you - published the same volume of reprinted diverse Raspberry Pi articles - basically exactly the same bookazine - under different cover titles TWICE, both suggesting that they were a 'guide' or 'handbook' which they clearly were not.

Unlike books, magazines are usually only a couple of months out of date and all the information in them was complied relatively recently, probably some time in the three months leading up to the day you bought the magazine. That's not too bad. Compare that to the internet, where a search on one particular item may bring you hundreds of hits, some of which have bang up to date information and some of which is several years old and out of date. Sorting the wheat from the chaff can be a laborious process, especially if you are starting with zero knowledge so you can't actually tell which is wheat and which is chaff.

ame

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:07 am

SiriusHardware wrote:
ame wrote: Or you could visit a "library".
Really? Linux books in a Library? Although to be fair, I did find a copy of the third edition of "The Raspberry Pi User Guide" in a library recently. Since mine is the first edition, that was useful.

My concern about the dwindling supply of magazines isn't so much about where the information will come from now: I'm a little bit afraid that perhaps it reflects a broader wane in new interest in the Raspberry Pi and Linux generally - It didn't help that certain publishers - Linux Format's publishers, I'm looking at you - published the same volume of reprinted diverse Raspberry Pi articles - basically exactly the same bookazine - under different cover titles TWICE, both suggesting that they were a 'guide' or 'handbook' which they clearly were not.

Unlike books, magazines are usually only a couple of months out of date and all the information in them was complied relatively recently, probably some time in the three months leading up to the day you bought the magazine. That's not too bad. Compare that to the internet, where a search on one particular item may bring you hundreds of hits, some of which have bang up to date information and some of which is several years old and out of date. Sorting the wheat from the chaff can be a laborious process, especially if you are starting with zero knowledge so you can't actually tell which is wheat and which is chaff.
I agree, although some information never gets stale. How to program in C, for example: any book written in the last 20 years will be useful to some extent. Others, maybe not so much.

I generally found my local library to be well-stocked with up-to-date periodicals and computer books. It is often handy to have a physical book to hold and refer to when learning, but I find that Googling for solutions is more effective, and I have no trouble sorting out the relevant information from the dross. Sites like StackExchange make that even easier.

I don't think that the lack of Raspberry Pi magazines in shops reflects a decline in interest in the Pi. I think rather it's a symptom of rising publishing costs, or, frankly, that the internet is a better way to distribute information.

startrek.steve

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:50 am

rpdom wrote:
startrek.steve wrote:One of the reasons why I cancelled my Linux Format subscription, was that by the time information gets in print, its out of date, If I have a problem, I ask on the forums or google it, the printed word is too out of date for tech stuff.
K&R's?
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

ame

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:54 am

startrek.steve wrote:
rpdom wrote:
K&R's?
lmgtfy

jamesh

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 am

As I think I posted above, I think the next issue of the Magpi will sell more than a few copies.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:38 am

startrek.steve wrote:
rpdom wrote:
K&R's?
You can't be a C programmer if you haven't read K&R.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Programming-L ... 0131103628
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

startrek.steve

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am

ame wrote: And yet people still refer to their K&Rs
K&R's?[/quote]
lmgtfy[/quote]

Still no wiser...

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:20 pm

startrek.steve wrote:
ame wrote: And yet people still refer to their K&Rs

lmgtfy

Still no wiser...
Here you go.

Hopefully that explains both those terms.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

mindwave

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Old post I know, but being here in the US and a Guitar Player Linux/Raspi fan, I was spending between $60 and $150 a MONTH on Euro mags pertaining to those 3 subjects.

Now that ZINIO is available here, I can buy the SAME quality MAGS, read them, keep them and STORE them and not take up an extra room in my house (seriously one whole side of my closet right now)

AND the ONLY thinkg Im missing is the DVD, which MANY mags started to do away w/ some time ago.

But then I started finding that TYPICALLY what was on the DVD was available on the net in an even MORE current format.

Now admittedly a 6:" or 7" tablet is less than great to read a magazine on.

Hence my purchase of my 18" ANdroid Tablet -its heavy but its AWESOME!

just my 2 cts (whats that convert to in euros?)

Return to “Other projects”