MonkeyCar76

Proposal for an E-Zine

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm toying around with an idea in my head:

I grew up in the 80s, with the type-in code from different computer magazines such as 80 Micro, and Compute! Those days are (kind of) over. And then the Raspberry Pi came and planted a question in my brain:

Suppose there is an e zine available targeting Raspberry Pi users with low income (say a house income of less than $20,000 a year) And this e zine includes type in code for games, utilities and other useful programs (such as a word processor) as well as DIY projects involving found objects, or a trip to the store with no more than $20 in your pocket. The articles and projects would be written by similar users with an invitation for other low income users to submit their code and projects. The goal of the zine would be to promote innovation and original thinking without having to spend an entire fortune.

Does such a Zine exist?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Proposal for an E-Zine

Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:22 pm

you mean you have never heard of the Magpi? Its a professionally made magazine about the PI, and the electronic version is free.
#35 is just out!
viewtopic.php?p=780935#p780935

MonkeyCar76

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I'll just explain how I got my idea.

When I was looking at Kano (which is a Raspberry Pi), I came across these photos. Notably the top photo.

The idea boils down to what if someone has a Raspberry Pi and little access to resources? I'd love to read what sort of ideas, programs and projects people have when they don't have access to parts available to the rest of us.

Is there an e-zine that caters to that population?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:08 am

as long as they can read English the magpi should be fine for them, you can put all issues on a small memorystick to distribute them.

by the way, I also read 80-Micro, Compute! as well as Byte, Creative-Computing, and a whole host of other magazines in my early days. especially Byte-magazine stopping was a blow, even though it had turned into a windows magazine by then.

Return to “Other projects”