wickedsight

Need advice for prototyping with RPi

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:23 pm

I'd like to produce a media player device on the basis of the RPi architecture and would like to get some recommended reading. The device will need to be internet connected and capable of playing Full HD, which is why I think the RPi would be a great way to start out.

I have some experience with Unix and a range of programming languages and tend to pick things up quite quickly.

Does anybody have recommended reading on this subject? If I need to elaborate please let me know.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Need advice for prototyping with RPi

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Read up on XBMC and OpenELEC perhaps?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

wickedsight

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm not familiar with openelec, so ill look into that. XBMC won't be an option since it's not in line with what I want to produce.

ghans

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:43 am

OpenELEC is just a Linux distro tailored to run XBMC only. If you can't build on
that i guess you will have to write completely custom software , which will be expensive .
Looking at the source of omxplayer and the official OpenMAX spec from Khronos
might get you started.

Otherwise have a look at VLC and gstreamer , which both have OpenMAX support in their
current codebase.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”