CornishMule

Roberts Radio Squeezebox

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:20 am

Hi all,

I've just finished bringing a 1961 Roberts radio into the 21st century by ripping out the (broken) transistor radio and inserting some Raspberry Pi goodness, along with a Marvel comic book make-over :geek:

The finished result is a headless Squeezebox with rotary encoders providing volume and menu control. Also controllable via the Android and iOS app, and synchronises with my other Squeezebox devices.

Full details of the project build are on this blog - http://plentyofgin.blogspot.co.uk/

Let me know your thoughts :)

StevenP

Re: Roberts Radio Squeezebox

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Great project - looks very professional inside and out!
I made a much simpler internet radio myself, but just a multicolur LED and 5 pushbuttons as user interface in a wooden craft box.
How did you stick the comic book covers to the case? I assume they were paper and you just glued? Did you paint/spray over them afterwards?
Cheers,
Steven
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things..."

CornishMule

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:23 pm

StevenP wrote:How did you stick the comic book covers to the case? I assume they were paper and you just glued? Did you paint/spray over them afterwards?
Thanks for the feedback Steven. Yes, the comic book covers were just glued using PVA glue. Once dry I then coated many layers of PVA over the top to harden the covering.

Ravenous

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 pm

That's really tasty - thanks for posting it up.

I don't follow how the speakers are connected. Did you use electronics from a set USB speakers?

CornishMule

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:53 pm

Ravenous wrote:I don't follow how the speakers are connected. Did you use electronics from a set USB speakers?
Yeah, I bought a pair of HP USB powered speakers and took out the electronics, shortened the cabling, removed the USB plug and soldered the powerlines straight onto the hub. I also shortened the 3.5mm cable to avoid having any redundant cabling in the chassis (space was tight!).

Glad you like it :)

Gerrelt

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Very nice! 8-)
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

jonathonballen

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Fantastic build!

I've been thinking of doing something similar myself but you've not only beaten me to it but also set the bar incredibly high! I was thinking of trying to re-use the Roberts buttons as well for, say, selecting music library, internet radio, playlists etc.

Would it be possible to get a peek at your Python code? I wasn't sure how I was going to control it all but that would give me a great baseline to start off with.

Looking forward to reading about your Pi / Squeeze multi-room set-up.

Cheers,
Jonathon

Ik0adr

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 am

Hi all.
This project is so nice I was unable to resist to replicate it.
Now I got all the squeezebox part running, and all the parts for LCD and rotary encoders, so a peek to your Phyton code would be much appreciated here too.
Many thanks, best regards

--Federico

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”