nimdy

Digital Photo Frame Improvement

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:41 pm

I would like to find a way of linking my digital photo frame up to the Pi. It is a simple frame that views jpg files and nothing else (no wifi etc).

I don't mean connecting it up as a screen for the Pi, as I have read previously that these frames have their own wiring and drivers so can't be used as a screen.

What I am thinking is the device has two methods of displaying JPG files - SD card and USB pen drive. I was thinking perhaps the Pi could be connected to the USB and pretend to be a USB drive but allow me to add and change the contents of the 'drive' remotely. This was the frame displays the pictures but I can remove/replace/add pictures on the fly and the frame would still happily display them.

What I would like to be able to do is have photos rotating on the screen, but also have news and weather from RSS feeds but generated as jpgs so the frame can display the info.

Is this sort of thing possible? I read a project a while back where something similar was done for the Kindle. Admittedly the kindle had a Web browser so was easier to 'hack'.

Burngate

Re: Digital Photo Frame Improvement

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:05 pm

nimdy wrote:... I was thinking perhaps the Pi could be connected to the USB and pretend to be a USB drive ...
No.

The photo frame is acting as a USB host, and looks for a USB device.
The Pi also acts as a USB host, and looks for USB devices on its two ports (if it's a B - the A is different, but see below)
So the two won't talk to each other.

If you've got a A, you're closer to what you want, but not very much closer, and not close enough.
The A's single USB port is connected directly to the SoC, and that was designed to be used as a USB device. However, all the software on the Pi, including the GPU blob, assumes the Pi is a host. The blob would have to be rewritten, and that's not happening as far as anyone knows, so you're out of luck.

cleverca22

Re: Digital Photo Frame Improvement

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 am

also, the read cache in the photo frame assumes nothing will change without warning, so when you start to mess around the way your planning, the photo frame is likely to ignore it or crash badly

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”