MrBunsy

Raspberry Pi Render Farm!

Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 pm

For kicks a while ago I wrote my own ray tracer in java, so naturally the first thing I did when I got hold of my pi was to try and see how it compares to my other machines for rendering speed! The pi does rather make even an atom machine look powerful :P

I've yet to search for any better java VMs, so I might be able to improve perfomance a smidge, but I was still rather impressed that it only took 4 hours to render my test world:

(down to 40minutes without caustics!)

and 7 hours to render a tree!

There is hope yet for my randomly generated tree rendering picture frame plan!

zag

Re: Raspberry Pi Render Farm!

Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 am

That sir, its totally awesome :)

Now we need to find out if having 10 Raspberry Pis is any faster than a single intel machine with a similar price!

P.S. I used to love raytracing with povray back in the day. :mrgreen:
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

thexman

Thu May 17, 2012 3:10 pm

there was a post about light wave on the projects forum but it was pointed out that the MIPs/£ were still better on a 2000 pound PC than on 75 Pis. networked.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

Ravenous

Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Wonder if there's a way to do this sort of thing in the GPU? It's effectively a processor with lots of cores... (Disclaimer: I don't know how you'd do this.)

MrBunsy

Sun May 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Ravenous wrote:Wonder if there's a way to do this sort of thing in the GPU? It's effectively a processor with lots of cores... (Disclaimer: I don't know how you'd do this.)
I have wondered exactly this, but I've never used openGL and I'm not quite sure if it or something similar (openCV?) would be able to do what I'm after. It's something I intend to investigate, because if I can use the GPU there's a chance I can get this at much more useful speeds on the pi!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 24, 2012 6:35 am

thexman wrote:there was a post about light wave on the projects forum but it was pointed out that the MIPs/£ were still better on a 2000 pound PC than on 75 Pis. networked.
Afaict for CPU power per pound you are looking at arround a £400 PC (a sandy i5 surrounded with cheap components). Beyond that you get into seriously diminishing returns.

godFather89

Thu May 24, 2012 7:17 am

Nice!
But, raytracing in Java? Why not C/C++?

MrBunsy

Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 am

godFather89 wrote:Nice!
But, raytracing in Java? Why not C/C++?
Mostly because I like having a garbage collector, and this was more of an experiment than a real attempt at an efficient ray-tracer. Plus I really like the portability of Java, I can write my little project on my windows desktop, but also run it on my Arch Linux server (and now my Debian-ARM pi!), or my housemate's mac!

godFather89

Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 am

Yeah, I know the PROs for Java. But there is the big CON that is needed for ray tracing: speed and efficiency.
Using C/C++ compiled with CPU floating point support would be much faster.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

ibraul

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:07 am

Let me know when the java renderer is available. I'm making a ps3 renderfarm with Fedora 11 and would love to test it out.

reiuyi

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Pixar would be the real king at creating renderfarms. I think they use lots of Xenons to do the rendering.

Using GPUs for computation is still in its early phase in many industries, though it's definitely something to work towards, just like floating point operations.

crackerjack

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 am

reiuyi wrote:Pixar would be the real king at creating renderfarms. I think they use lots of Xenons to do the rendering.

Using GPUs for computation is still in its early phase in many industries, though it's definitely something to work towards, just like floating point operations.
I tried rendering using Aqsis, an open source renderer adhering to pixar's renderman standard.
More details can be found here
http://raspberryments.wordpress.com/201 ... -renderer/

regards,
@n00p

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”