DrKawashima

Graphical interface for Monitor Settings

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:49 pm

The first thing most people boot their Raspberry Pi to the desktop they will have an issue with black borders or a much too low resolution.
This is quite a big problem for many users, and figuring out how to edit boot.config manually isn't very intuitive.

So I thought, why not create a graphical interface to make monitor settings as simple as possible.
A Raspbian equivalent to the settings windows in Windows/Mac.

Just being able to select avaliable resolutions from a a dropdown and click a restart button would be such a huge help for new users.

What do you think?
-First of all: Does something like this already exist or is it being planned to be included in Raspbian?
-Anything special I should consider before even attempting this?
-General feedback is appreciated! Just write a quick comment if you have any issues with the idea, or if you think it's interesting.

About me:
I'm a professional programmer mainly working in web development and dotNet.
So creating a GUI program for Linux will be an interesting challenge (That's the main reason I got my Pi) as the only development I've done in Linux before is som shell scripting and low level C programming.
Last edited by DrKawashima on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DrKawashima

Re: Graphical interface for Monitor Settings

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:06 pm

My plan for the first version of this tool:

1. Dropdown showing all possible resolutions, highlighting the native ones.

1. Simple GUI for modifying basic values like
- Checkbox for setting overscan on/off
- Numeric textboxes for setting overscan top/bottom/left/right

2. Some kind of help wizard with different sections that let's the users identify their problem and try to apply a solution. For instance:
- "black borders?" - disables overscan
- "blanking or no display?" - sets config_hdmi_boost=4

3. Indicator next to every setting that shows if the value has been changed compared to the default value in Raspbian

3. Menu bar with some options like: Apply, Apply & Restart System, Restart System and Save settings
When restarting you will get some kind of popup (which of course, can be disabled) asking if you want to auto start this software automatically during the next reboot, since I assume fixing issues with overscan and resolution might take a few attempts before getting it right.
Last edited by DrKawashima on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrKawashima

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:18 pm

From a technical standpoint:
The GUI will be the tricky part, since I haven't really worked with GUI applications in Linux before.
But I guess the actual code will be quite simple. Could basically be a simple bash script.
Basically all I need to do to apply changes would be to modify the /boot/config.txt file.
In order to identify the monitor I supposed I'd use tvservice .
Something like the following would provide the list of all possible display modes, that I would use to populate the dropdown.

Code: Select all

tvservice -d edid
edidparser edid
I don't really have a backup plan for what I'll try if the system is unable to identify the monitor though.
And like I said, I'm a newb when it comes to development in Linux.
So I'd appreciate if you'd tell me if I'm way off, or if you know something I should be looking into

DeeJay

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 pm

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”