kristink

how to run 2 separate video files to 2 lcd screens from 1 pi

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:22 am

I want to run two different videos to two separate lcd screens (simultaneously) from one Raspberry Pi. I can only figure out how to run one video to the two screens, but not two separate video files :( Can anyone help or suggest a course of inquiry? Thank you.

karlkiste

Re: how to run 2 separate video files to 2 lcd screens from

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:04 pm

My Pi has only a HDMI and a CVBS video output, which can't be enabled at the same time. How do you connect the screens?

kristink

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:02 am

Hi Karl, If I only wanted to run one video file to the two screens, I was planning to split the cvbs video output to the two screens. I think that would work, but that's not what I need. I need to run two distinct files to two different screens at the same time from one pi and I have no idea how to do it. Anyone have an idea?

Let me know!

Thanks.

ame

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 am

The answer is: buy another Pi.

Seriously.

I thought the answer might be to buy a USB->VGA converter, which would add a new VGA video port (so you get HDMI and VGA outputs) but even the cheap ones are about $30, and they depend on drivers being available. The Raspberry Pi is so cheap you really should use one Pi for each display. Here's an article about making a video wall based on that restriction:
http://hackaday.com/2013/07/22/multiple ... ideo-wall/

karlkiste

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 am

The short answer:
It's impossible.

The bold answer:
Hide the second pi somewhere, it's small enough.

The expensive answer:
Combine the two videos to one, and use a HDMI split-screen machine to separate them again.

The hand-soldered answer:
Combine the two videos, so that one video occupies the odd lines on the CVBS, the other one the even ones. Then split the CVBS using a video amplifier, and build some extra electronics which blanks out all video lines (not the sync) every other half-frame on each output, respectively.

The sensible answer:
If the second screen has a low resolution, like 120x90 or so, it might be possible to use a SPI connection to display a video. This size of video would also be playable without hardware decoding. Using a USB-VGA adapter (thanks for the hint, I almost forgot that ;-) ) even 320x240 or so might be possible.
Attachments
Multiplayer.JPG
My solution to play up to five videos: Plug as many as you need model A pi's on a custom backplane.
Multiplayer.JPG (63.8 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

ghans

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:30 am

Nice hardware !
What does it do ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

karlkiste

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 am

Nice hardware !
What does it do ?
Thanks ;-)
It's mostly DC/DC converter, you plug in a 12V 2A power supply, and it powers the pi's with 5V "from the backdoor", i.e. through the power pins on P1.

Then, there's a PIC microcontroller which coordinates the videos playing in each pi. The DB9-plug in the front exposes an I2C bus to connect controlling equipment.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 am

kristink wrote:I want to run two different videos to two separate lcd screens (simultaneously) from one Raspberry Pi. I can only figure out how to run one video to the two screens, but not two separate video files :( Can anyone help or suggest a course of inquiry? Thank you.
As other have said - impossible as standard - you can only sensible output to one display device at a time. Also worth remembering that the Pi has the capacity for one 1080p30 decode at a time, not the two you need (assuming 1080p30 is the requirement)

Buy another Pi. By far the easiest approach.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

kristink

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks so much everyone. So so helpful! I'll try Karl's "sensible" titled route first because the tricky part is that it's for a tiny sculpture with two very small screens and two pis will not fit within it. I might have to do some rebuilding. Thank you again :P This forum is awesome.

kristink

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Oh dear, :( . I rebuilt the encasing to hold two pis, and now I'm having a very difficult time figuring out how to network them together. I am a beginner. Any suggestions on helpful tutorials on this subject or other resources? (I want them linked because the two video files I want to play are distinct but synchronized and I want ti to be easy for anyone to start it up on their own).

Thank you!
karlkiste wrote:The short answer:
It's impossible.

The bold answer:
Hide the second pi somewhere, it's small enough.

The expensive answer:
Combine the two videos to one, and use a HDMI split-screen machine to separate them again.

The hand-soldered answer:
Combine the two videos, so that one video occupies the odd lines on the CVBS, the other one the even ones. Then split the CVBS using a video amplifier, and build some extra electronics which blanks out all video lines (not the sync) every other half-frame on each output, respectively.

The sensible answer:
If the second screen has a low resolution, like 120x90 or so, it might be possible to use a SPI connection to display a video. This size of video would also be playable without hardware decoding. Using a USB-VGA adapter (thanks for the hint, I almost forgot that ;-) ) even 320x240 or so might be possible.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”