amalething

Analog 5.1 sound from RPI

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Hello

I'm looking to make better use of my Pi in a bedroom feeding off the home server. I use AirPlay in the main living area all the time, so now I'm looking to bring it into the bedroom too, but turning on the bedroom TV each time is not very time efficient.

I have a unused Sony 5.1 DVD theather that has never been used. It also has no audio input.

My thought would be to incorporate an external USB sound card which is capable of outputting to analog 5.1 speakers. (Such as L/R front jack, L/R rear jack and bass/centre jack etc).

Is this the best solution, or are there better options? As the Pi is always on, I'm looking for a low power solution, not an a/v receiver.

Thanks for your thoughts.

topguy

Re: Analog 5.1 sound from RPI

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 pm

You would need an amplifier wouldnt you ? You cant drive speakers from a USB-sound-card.

Terratec has a few multichannel usb-cards, dont know about pricing or linux support.

masterluke

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:05 am

Are you 100% sure your sony dvd 5.1 system can't take an analog or digital input. I know on SOME sony 5.1 systems the optical out turns into an optical-in, and the scart can take an analog-in when the unit it set to "TV". What system do you have?

FinnAnder

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 am

Hello!

I have just install something called Shairport, which allows the Pi to be the host of an AirPlay connection. It works surprisingly well, so here's a link to an installation guide!

http://lifehacker.com/5978594/turn-a-ra ... iving-room

You will (probably) only need to do the steps from 'Install the Shairport AirPlay Emulator'

Hope this helps and the best of luck!
--
[email protected]
fxapi.co.uk

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”