AlecIs

HP HD-2200 Webcam - Dark Pictures

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 am

(Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum . . .)

I have a RPi model B running Raspberrian Wheezy. I've been messing around with an HP HD-2200 webcam trying to get it to take pictures with fswebcam. What I'm finding is that the pics I take are very dark (as you'll see in the sample below). A different make / model camera on the same RPi works fine.

I've seen that pictures are fine when I hook up the HD-2200 camera to my Windows 7 box. Pictures are also fine if I configure motion on the RPi to use the HD-2200. This problem only seems to occur with fswebcam.

I've tried changing the settings of the camera with fswebcam (such as contrast, brightness, and backlight compensation) but that hasn't helped. I can see that my settings are having an effect, but not enough of one. For example, I can set the HD-2200's brightness to -64 (its lowest value) and get a completely black picture,or I can set it to +64 (it maximum) and get a barely visible pic.

The only hint I've seen after a bunch of Google searches is one person who said that when they used the camera with ffmpeg, it needed time to settle - but they went on to say that fswebcam worked just fine with no wait time needed. (I tried various combinations of delays and frame skipping in fswebcam anyway, but that also didn't improve the situation.)

My Pi is running Raspberian Wheezy and it was updated today (6/23). I'm not a Linux newb, but this one has me stumped. Has anyone seen this before? Any hints?

Thanks.

Below is a sample image. You're looking at a shelving unit in my house with a light in the ceiling. However, the only thing that barely shows is the light. In order to eliminate the light causing the camera to close down its iris as the source of my problem, I've also pointed it at other well lit spots, but where there were not ceiling lights. That didn't help either.

brwtx

Re: HP HD-2200 Webcam - Dark Pictures

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 am

Getting the exact same problem with an HD-2200. I also have an HD-3110 which works beautifully when I connect it, but the HD-2200 gives me a dark blurry image that is barely recognizable. Any luck on a fix? If not I'm just going to pick up another HD-3110 since they are only $14 at Frys right now.

midijohnny

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Also getting something similar : I am using a logitech camera (I don't have the model number to hand - but it's a 'golf-ball' style one with a button on the top) - works fine on a Linux Laptop, but the pictures on the pi (both tests done with 'fswebcam') come out blurry and very blue/black....

I have the latest Raspberry Pi distro installed (today) - and I'm plugging it directly into the USB port (no powered hub) - I wonder if this could be a power-related issue ?

I'll report back if I make any progress on this.

itarian

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:15 am

Have this problem as well with Pi 2. Odd. Dark, very blue images.

Tried adjusting brightness, looking into palettes, adding a delay, blah, blah.

Came across this: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=80963

So I tried fswebcam -d /dev/video0 -r 640x480 -v -S 10 --set brightness=50% test_image.jpg

It's getting dark now, but improved color, for sure. I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but there is something about how quickly it grabs an image. The -D option to delay doesn't help, but taking 10 frames then keeping one makes all the difference.
Attachments
pic from 2 mins later with option.jpg
two mins later with the option
pic from 2 mins later with option.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
pic from 6-02 without option.jpg
From 6:02 without option
pic from 6-02 without option.jpg (20.17 KiB) Viewed 1572 times

itarian

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:17 am

Sorry if that wasn't clear (now that I check that post).

The option to add is -S 10 which skips 10 images then takes the image you want to keep. I think the cam is adjusting itself more slowly, for some odd reason.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”