marcoangeli
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Cividale del Friuli, Italy
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:00 pm

If you have never used the editor with 1.1.2 pp_editor.cfg will not exist
...that's why I couldn't find it!
Thank you for your reply, Ken. I have a background in history of art and I think your software has great potential.
Let me tinker around with it for a while and see if I can get it to work.

Marco

Gerry2013
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 am

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:50 am

HI,
Just a quick question, regarding with the Menu function, I know it is possible to maneuvour around the menu with the keyboard, selecting the desired file to be played. But is it possible to maneuvour my mouse over it and select that option instead of using arrow keys and hitting enter for it?

Cheers,
Gerry.

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:19 am

Gerry2013 wrote:HI,
Just a quick question, regarding with the Menu function, I know it is possible to maneuvour around the menu with the keyboard, selecting the desired file to be played. But is it possible to maneuvour my mouse over it and select that option instead of using arrow keys and hitting enter for it?

Cheers,
Gerry.
You need to use the hyperlinkshow instead. This allows you to define 'click areas' and bind them to symbolic names of inputs. Should hopefully work for a touchscreen as well. Alternatively if you just want to hit a key or a gpio input and run a track then use the radiobuttonshow.

There are examples of each in the examples repository on github.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Dear Ken,

I just tried to start pi presents using python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -p ppt_liveshow -b -f -l /media/USB

it didn't start, and i got the following message:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py", line 425, in <module>
    pp = PiPresents()
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py", line 272, in __init__
    self.run_start_shows()
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py", line 292, in run_start_shows
    self.show_manager.start_initial_shows(start_shows_text)
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pp_showmanager.py", line 110, in start_initial_shows
    reason,message=self.control_a_show(fields)
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pp_showmanager.py", line 137, in control_a_show
    return self.start_show(show_ref)
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pp_showmanager.py", line 232, in start_show
    show_obj.play(index,self._end_play_show,None,top=True,command='nil')
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pp_liveshow.py", line 137, in play
    self.wait_for_trigger()                
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pp_liveshow.py", line 328, in wait_for_trigger
    self.play_first_track()            
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pp_liveshow.py", line 352, in play_first_track
    self.new_livelist_create()
  File "/home/pi/pipresents/pp_liveshow.py", line 278, in new_livelist_create
    if ext_file.lower() in PPdefinitions.IMAGE_FILES+PPdefinitions.VIDEO_FILES+PPdefinitions.AUDIO_FILES+PPdefinitions._FILES or (ext_file.lower()=='.cfg'):
AttributeError: class PPdefinitions has no attribute '_FILES'
I don't get the message when there is nothing on the usb-flashdrive, but as soon as i put a jpg or avi etc on the drive, i get the above error.

Did i do something wrong?

Many thanks
Azizar
Last edited by Azizar on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Dear Ken,

To clarify: I never encountered this problem in the past. I reinstalled "pi presents -beta", put other files on the /media/USB and still i get this problem

Many thanks

Az

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Azizar wrote:Dear Ken,

I just tried to start pi presents using python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -p ppt_liveshow -b -f -l /media/USB

it didn't start, and i got the following message:

[chopped]

I don't get the message when there is nothing on the usb-flashdrive, but as soon as i put a jpg on the drive, i got the above error.

Did i do something wrong?

Many thanks
Azizar
No you did nothing wrong, there is a minor error in the file pp_liveshow.py

In line 278 you need to insert the word WEB ....AUDIO_FILES+PPdefinitions._FILES should be ..... AUDIO_FILES+PPdefinitions.WEB_FILES

You can edit it yourself using leafpad or IDLE. I will update Github soon as there are a couple of other bugs that people have reported:

pp_menu_1p2 example the profile is not up to date, run it through the editor with --forceupdate
pp_menu_ap2 after update one of hte image window and video window need to be changed from centred
Manual - warped should be warp in the xxx window fields.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Great! thanks for the fast reply!

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:59 am

Dear Ken,

I noticed that pi-presents uses omx-player, but somehow pi-presents doesn't open video-files with the .mov extension. Changing the extension to avi usually does the trick, but i think it should be possible to play files with an .mov extension right from the start.

Just some feedback from a happy pi-presents tester.

Greetings
Az

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Azizar wrote:Dear Ken,

I noticed that pi-presents uses omx-player, but somehow pi-presents doesn't open video-files with the .mov extension. Changing the extension to avi usually does the trick, but i think it should be possible to play files with an .mov extension right from the start.

Just some feedback from a happy pi-presents tester.

Greetings
Az
Could you try the .mov file using omxplayer from the command line omxplayer -o hdmi file.mov

to see its omxplayer or Pi Presents that is the problem

Pi Presents will play anything that omxplayer will play however the 'add track from file' menu option does reject all but a few popular file types. Work around is to do track>new>video and add the track location to that.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Dear Ken,

Using the command-line to start a .mov file using omx works. It seems to be a "problem" with Pi-presents

Az

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:10 am

Azizar wrote:Dear Ken,

Using the command-line to start a .mov file using omx works. It seems to be a "problem" with Pi-presents

Az
if you use leafpad or idle to edit line 4 of pp_definitions.py to add '.mov', to the list of video files does it work. If not I am puzzled and will have to find a .mov file and do some experiments.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:59 am

Dear Ken,

Your suggestion worked! Just adding .mov did the trick

Az

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Peter Vasen who uses Pi Presents in the German Equine Museum has very kindly produced a German translation of the Pi Presents manual. You can download it at
http://www.weser-echo.de/pipresents_manual_1_2_3_de.pdf

The manual if for the 'Beta of the next version' [pipresents-next]

If you wish to contact Peter you can do it via his website http://www.web-echo.de/
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Gruselgurke
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:16 am

This is an awesome project!
Was wondering if seamless looping was implented yet? I saw some fixes in the omxplayer github issue tracker that tackled this issue (https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer/issues/16), are these fixes implented in PiPresent or is it using the official omxplayer build? Which sadly still doesn't incorporate any of them :/

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:21 am

Gruselgurke wrote:This is an awesome project!
Was wondering if seamless looping was implented yet? I saw some fixes in the omxplayer github issue tracker that tackled this issue (https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer/issues/16), are these fixes implented in PiPresent or is it using the official omxplayer build? Which sadly still doesn't incorporate any of them :/
No seamless looping in Pi Present or the official omxplayer. I'm going to try to reduce the gap and remove the screen redrawing between videos sometime in the future but it will not be seamless until seamless looping appears in the official omxplayer. I seem to remember its not a priority for Dom.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Gruselgurke
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Ah too bad but will give this a go either way. How is it done atm? Does it have a fade or just straight blank black?

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Gruselgurke wrote:Ah too bad but will give this a go either way. How is it done atm? Does it have a fade or just straight blank black?
in fullscreen mode just blank black for a couple of seconds
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:44 pm

version 1.2.3 - more reliable video playing

Recently there have been an increasing number of reports of unreliable video playing. I have identified a number of problems with omxplayer and hopefully added workarounds for them in Pi Presents.

If you run this version of Pi Presents from a terminal window you will see reports of the workarounds in action, even if debugging is turned off. omxplayer probably goes wrong one in a few hundred plays of a track on average and always at the end of a track.

I hope I have caught all the problems. I would be interested in any other undetected crashes of Pi Presents when playing videos as I may not have discovered all the failure conditions.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Dear Ken,

Are those issues only with the most recent version of OMXplayer? I only experience some corruption at the end of a video-file (is this known?)

Az

hauser
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:52 pm

This looks like a great package. I'd like to use it in a library exhibit where the hardware would be inside of a locked glass case, but I'd like for the librarian to be able to have some control over the presentation without opening the case. I've configured the RPi as a wifi access point so that I can access it from a smart phone (just the RPi itself - no connection to the Internet). If input events for Pi Presents could come from a local web server, a simple Web interface could allow it to be controlled from a smart phone. Do you have any plans to add this kind of functionality? Thanks.

Michael Hauser

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Azizar wrote:Dear Ken,

Are those issues only with the most recent version of OMXplayer? I only experience some corruption at the end of a video-file (is this known?)

Az
I think possibly they are but I am not sure. I was getting unreliable video performance with Pi Presents some months ago and the symptoms from omxplayer were different in that it seemed to stop at the beginning of a track rather than the end.

It's well worth keeping track of omxplayer development here, you may find your corruption reported. You will see in Issue 124 a more detailed report of what I found and a little script you can use to try videos independent of Pi Presents.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Neghtasro
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Ken,

Just wanted to thank you for your amazing work on this project. I'm a student worker at the Tyler School of Art, and my boss came to me about a new digital signage solution. We're currently using a convoluted VGA over Ethernet setup, and one of the cables broke. The repair estimate from the contractors was $3000 for one cable, so I suggested a bunch of Raspberry Pis. I made a few modifications to sync with our file server every few minutes and display a notification if the monitor can't connect, and suddenly fixing a monitor costs less than $100. We'll be phasing them in throughout the next semester, and we wouldn't be anywhere near close to ready if I hadn't stumbled upon your project. Thanks again!

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:04 pm

hauser wrote:This looks like a great package. I'd like to use it in a library exhibit where the hardware would be inside of a locked glass case, but I'd like for the librarian to be able to have some control over the presentation without opening the case. I've configured the RPi as a wifi access point so that I can access it from a smart phone (just the RPi itself - no connection to the Internet). If input events for Pi Presents could come from a local web server, a simple Web interface could allow it to be controlled from a smart phone. Do you have any plans to add this kind of functionality? Thanks.

Michael Hauser
Yes and no is the answer. I am not going to be adding any web server control. However I am working towards an API which means that people can write their own input/output plugins which send input events with symbolic names to the core of Pi Presents. If you look atthe manual pp_ppio.py you will see how it works. The functionality is all there I just need to tidy module structure.

If you just want to change the content remotely then look at the Liveshow
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Dear Ken,

I was just testing your latest beta version of your great piece of software :D pi presents after i installed a clean version of wheezy and updating it with

Code: Select all

sudo apt update

Code: Select all

sudo apt dist-upgrade
and

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update
and installing pi-presents-beta as described in your manual. When i play video's using the live-show option, the results vary. Sometimes it plays the video's perfectly, but sometimes they become a bit choppy. Once in a while I get some corruption at the very end of the video's. Every loop pi presents (or omx ?) behaves differently.

I will do some further testing, letting it loop overnight


Az

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Azizar wrote:Dear Ken,

I was just testing your latest beta version of your great piece of software :D pi presents after i installed a clean version of wheezy and updating it with

Code: Select all

sudo apt update

Code: Select all

sudo apt dist-upgrade
and

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update
and installing pi-presents-beta as described in your manual. When i play video's using the live-show option, the results vary. Sometimes it plays the video's perfectly, but sometimes they become a bit choppy. Once in a while I get some corruption at the very end of the video's. Every loop pi presents (or omx ?) behaves differently.

I will do some further testing, letting it loop overnight


Az
Hi Az
Have you increased the gpu memory size to 128MB
version 1.2.3c has worked around many omxplayer problems but I think yours is not one of them.

Try running the videos from the command line, there is a little looping script here

https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/issues/124
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”