dearsgroup
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:07 pm

I am trying pipresents-next today but cannot get past a particular error as shown. I believe I've followed your instructions correctly.
Attachments
pipresentserror.JPG
pipresentserror.JPG (38.08 KiB) Viewed 6402 times

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 38784
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:05 pm

You need to run it in the GUI.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

dearsgroup
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:27 pm

I was logged into the pi via gui and then installed via shell. If I'm hearing you correctly (I'm very new to linux and the pi), I should navigate to the folder where pipresent.py is located and run from there?

dearsgroup
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:33 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You need to run it in the GUI.
I will load vnc in order to go run headless.

dearsgroup
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:05 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You need to run it in the GUI.
Okay. Works (sort of) now. I see "Welcome to Pi Presents" and "...profile that does not exist."

I will go back and fix this according to the instructions. Bye.

dearsgroup
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:19 pm

dearsgroup wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:You need to run it in the GUI.
Okay. Works (sort of) now. I see "Welcome to Pi Presents" and "...profile that does not exist."

I will go back and fix this according to the instructions. Bye.
Very nice! I really like this program. Do I need to occasionally update it from the terminal? If so, is it apt-get update <something> or apt-get upgrade <something>?

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:00 pm

dearsgroup wrote:
dearsgroup wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:You need to run it in the GUI.
Okay. Works (sort of) now. I see "Welcome to Pi Presents" and "...profile that does not exist."

I will go back and fix this according to the instructions. Bye.
Very nice! I really like this program. Do I need to occasionally update it from the terminal? If so, is it apt-get update <something> or apt-get upgrade <something>?
pipresents next is not going to change, only bug fixes. All development is on pipresents-gapless. Update is by reinstallling, there are instructions in the readme on github.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

dearsgroup
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Very well. Thanks. Bye.

RPM
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to Pi, PiPresents, and Python. I've successfully installed PiPresents, and have run several examples successfully as well. I am particularly interested in the animation capabilities, as I hope to be able to trigger motor to spin at a particular point in a video.

To that end I have been trying to run the pp_animate_1p2 example. I can run it fine using the command:

Code: Select all

python pipresents.py -p pp_animate_1p2
I've hooked up an LED to pin 11 with a resistor in series, and I wanted to run the same example and get the LED to light. I understand from the manual that to run the sketch with the GPIO pins active, I need to run it from sudo, and also to specify the full paths to the files in question, and also to use the "-g" option. My problem is I can't seem to make this work. As I said, I'm new to this, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something in my syntax. Here's what I've been trying:

Code: Select all

sudo python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -g /home/pi/pp_home/pp_profiles -p pp_animate_1p2
I get an "unrecognized argument" error message. But /home/pi/pp_home/pp_profiles is the path to the profile I'm trying to run, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hoping to get off on the right foot here - thanks in advance!

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:29 am

Try

Code: Select all

sudo python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /home/pi -p pp_animate_1p2 -g
I think have it right.There are examples in the manual
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

RPM
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:08 pm

KenT wrote:Try

Code: Select all

sudo python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /home/pi -p pp_animate_1p2 -g
I think have it right.There are examples in the manual
Hi and thanks for your reply. That code got the profile to run, but still no LED activation. I checked my wiring, pretty sure that is alright. LED w/ resistor lights when connected directly to 3.3V, but not during show while on pin 11. In the manual section 9.1 about Command Line Options, the "-g" option is given in an example as coming after "pi-presents.py", so I was surprised to see you suggest that option to come at the end of the line. But again, I am totally new to this language so maybe that shouldn't matter?

Are there other applications I might need to install or something?

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:57 am

The order of command line options does not matter.

I cannot see why the LED does not light, maybe it is a high power one and the pin is not providing sufficient current. There is a simple program output_test.py in the pipresents folder which you can use to test the outputs.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Mehles
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi Ken,
first of all thanks a lot for your nice software.

I installed Pi Presents 1.2.3 on a Raspberry Pi 2 with additional Real Time Clock (http://www.axiris.eu/en/index.php/i-o-cards/abiortc).

It should work as a real Blackbox with a Mediashow in a museum. No network, no keyboard or mouse, no buttons.
Starting and running it is no problem.

But how to exit it? It should present the same show the whole day and shut down automatically at a certain time. As oft he manual this should work with Show Controls, but I don’t know how and where to configure it. With „Trigger for end“ I could exit the show, but what happens next? How can I shut down the Pi at a certain time or rather where exactly do I have to place the Show Control commands exit and shutdownnow?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Chris

drmacro
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi Ken,

I see a question about fades was posed in 2013, I'm curious if there has been any change in status since then?

Regards,
Mac

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:06 pm

drmacro wrote:Hi Ken,

I see a question about fades was posed in 2013, I'm curious if there has been any change in status since then?

Regards,
Mac
No change I am afraid. Fades would require a major change to the software which is not likely to happen any time soon.

[pipresents-gapless] which I never announced on the forum does improve the look by removing the black gaps between images and videos.

There is other software Pi3D and info-beamer which I think fade images.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

AFMac
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi Ken/All-

I'm new to the Pi and relatively new to Linux, but PiPresents was one of the deciding factors in me actually purchasing this platform. I'm looking to set up a dynamically fed unit that continuously rolls through a presentation of slides I push remotely on a periodic basis.

The Pi itself won't be able to be hooked to my network based on security restrictions, but with the Pi 3 I was hoping to be able to take advantage of its on-board wifi and run a wi-fi hotspot via my cell phone. In a perfect world, if I can get the Pi to automatically connect to my known wifi setup, I could periodically enable this local wifi connection, then push/remove files direct to/from the Pi that would modify a LiveShow on the fly. The intent is to keep the show controlled so nobody can post anything I don't want, and I can keep content fresh/relevant without having to physically gain access to the Pi whenever I want to modify content.

Is that something the current state of the code base (and I guess the hardware itself) will support? Has anyone set up anything similar?

Appreciate the help!

Mac

AFMac
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:24 am

Well, guess I was a little premature. Was able to get a testbed up and running yesterday evening and have successfully tested auto-connect and ability to upload content dynamically from my iPhone. Absolutely awesome project, thanks for developing this!

GuruX
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm stuck trying to reinstall with pipresents gapless.
I have a couple of Raspberrys running pipresents liveshows. They mount the files with autofs. I can read the files perfectly fine in the file manager, run them as mediashows, but when I try to run as liveshows. They won't display, I just get the nothing to show message.

This worked fine i pipresents next. Anyone have a clue what is wrong in gapless?

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:05 pm

GuruX wrote:I'm stuck trying to reinstall with pipresents gapless.
I have a couple of Raspberrys running pipresents liveshows. They mount the files with autofs. I can read the files perfectly fine in the file manager, run them as mediashows, but when I try to run as liveshows. They won't display, I just get the nothing to show message.

This worked fine i pipresents next. Anyone have a clue what is wrong in gapless?
It sounds like you might be accessing the wrong directory of tracks. Try running PiPresents with the -d command line option and look at the paths PP thinks it is using.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Stabber
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:40 am

Hello Ken and all,
I have successfully setup the Pi Presents on a single Pi.

What I am hoping to achieve is to plug in a USB stick (possibly different USB sticks) to the 'server'
and then that Client Pi's would show that jpeg file from the 'server' USB.
If the USB is changed with then a different jpeg file that the clients would update.

Please can you tell me any pointers on how to achieve this.

If a working (donation/paid for) version is available that would cover this please also advise. - THANKS

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:23 pm

PP is not a client server system. However using a liveshow you can plug a USB stick into the Pi and play images and videos on this stick. Details in the manual.

I guess it would be possible for the liveshow to take data from a remote computer and the USB stick to be plugged into that. That is outside PP.

Stabber wrote:Hello Ken and all,
I have successfully setup the Pi Presents on a single Pi.

What I am hoping to achieve is to plug in a USB stick (possibly different USB sticks) to the 'server'
and then that Client Pi's would show that jpeg file from the 'server' USB.
If the USB is changed with then a different jpeg file that the clients would update.

Please can you tell me any pointers on how to achieve this.

If a working (donation/paid for) version is available that would cover this please also advise. - THANKS
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

fatboyjim
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:24 am

Hi Ken

Really great piece of software this - thanks for taking the time to put it together

I've setup a liveshow of JPGs to be displayed which is working great - just got one snag - image resolution

It looks like either the Pi itself or PiPresents (I imagine the Pi itself) is automatically adjusting the output resolution upon boot of the Pi to what it thinks the output can support. If the monitor is plugged in and switched on, this will be 1366x768 as expected (and that's the size I've made all my JPGs). If the monitor is not plugged in and switched on (i.e. if I have the Pi and monitor on the same wall power socket and power them on together, so the Pi hasn't got chance to detect the native resolution of the monitor) the output resolution is set to 1024x768

I'd like to make this as foolproof as possible for the operator so ideally they could just turn both plugs on together and have it work. Do you know if there is a way of forcing the output resolution on the Pi/PiPresents to 1366x768 so that the monitor / Pi can be booted in any order? (As it stands I'm going to have to get them to turn the TV on, then a few seconds later turn the Pi on - and have them reboot the Pi if the images display in an incorrect resolution)

Keep up the great work and thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Jim

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:49 pm

fatboyjim wrote:Hi Ken

Really great piece of software this - thanks for taking the time to put it together

I've setup a liveshow of JPGs to be displayed which is working great - just got one snag - image resolution

It looks like either the Pi itself or PiPresents (I imagine the Pi itself) is automatically adjusting the output resolution upon boot of the Pi to what it thinks the output can support. If the monitor is plugged in and switched on, this will be 1366x768 as expected (and that's the size I've made all my JPGs). If the monitor is not plugged in and switched on (i.e. if I have the Pi and monitor on the same wall power socket and power them on together, so the Pi hasn't got chance to detect the native resolution of the monitor) the output resolution is set to 1024x768

I'd like to make this as foolproof as possible for the operator so ideally they could just turn both plugs on together and have it work. Do you know if there is a way of forcing the output resolution on the Pi/PiPresents to 1366x768 so that the monitor / Pi can be booted in any order? (As it stands I'm going to have to get them to turn the TV on, then a few seconds later turn the Pi on - and have them reboot the Pi if the images display in an incorrect resolution)

Keep up the great work and thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Jim
two ways, I have used the first as I had the same problem, the second looks better though.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md

a. Set the monitor mode in config.txt

b. In config,txt there a delay after power up - bootcode_delay
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

AndySax
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi,
I think Pi presents may be just what I’m looking for.
To help with my work in the AV industry I would like to build a small unit with controls on a 7 inch touch screen and sending out to a second screen a full image of video or pictures. This will save me carrying around (or having to buy) two laptops.
Is this possible with Pi Presents and will a Pi3 processor handle this if I’m moving around things on the control screen while it’s still playing an HD video on the second screen?
Or is it better (or possible) to network two Pi’s with the second one only handling the second display?
I’m completely new to the RPi and Linux so forgive me if this is a daft question or the info is elsewhere.

Your thoughts and any help would be appreciated.
Andy.

AndySax
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Tue May 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi, just thought I’d answer my own question in case anyone else came across this thread. I didn’t need to use PI Presents.
I attached an official 7” touch screen and using OMXPlayer (which is installed by default) you can send videos to the HDMI port. From terminal type;
omxplayer --display=5 video.mkv
Display 5 is the HDMI so this will play the video through HDMI and video.mkv is the name of the video.
If you want to use a GUI then install the excellent TBOPlayer. Open Options-Edit and in the box that is marked OMXPlayer options type;
--display=5
Also activate Forbid Windowed Mode to make full screen.
And that’s it enjoy.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”