AndrewJohnson

Re: Pi Presents: Beta of a major upgrade now available

Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm

In case of use to anyone, you can have a look at a project I recently finalised (all free stuff!!!) using links in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=182502

You can adapt the python code I wrote to do what you want, fairly easily, I hope!

Paul_T

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Ken.
Just started to look at your great program, I have used Arduinos in the past so just getting to grips with Pi (now I've retired).
I am working as a volunteer for the Solent Sky Museum in Southampton and we have several projects that Pi Presents will be great for, if I can get it all working!
Ok so my question is that I need to control an NEC projector on the serial port so that it turns on with the Pi and off at the end of the day. Input select is not a problem is there a way the GPIO can control the serial port? Its the usual 9600,8,n,1. In the past I have 'hacked' the remote control and used the IR to do this, but serial control via Pi Presents would be good any clues or tips would be appreciated.
Paul.

Jake1938

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Hey Ken,

Love the software, thanks for all your hard work! I work at a museum and we are trying to implement a "spatial" media player, occupying a whole wall and utilizing capacitive triggers hidden under vinyl text.

The capacitive triggers simply emulate keyboard buttons. Here is my dilemma: I need each key to correspond to a specific video. When a key is pressed, it should end the current video and play the video corresponding to the key press. I have set it up so there are three shows, each with a single video track. The shows are toggled with numeric keys 1, 2, and 3. I can bring up each show with the corresponding key press, but I cannot figure out how to end the previous show. Is this feature supported? Alternatively I could start a show with a key hold, and end it when the key is released, but I am not sure how I would implement that either...

I really appreciate the help and the amazing software, it has made my job much easier!

Best, Jake

andygc

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 am

Dear Ken

Thank you for developing this system.
Azizar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:14 pm
I edited /etc/default/unclutter, adding

Code: Select all

-grab
and

Code: Select all

-noevents

That seemed to do the trick.
I'm working on touch screen presentations for my local museum and wanted to get rid of the cursor. I made these changes to /etc/default/unclutter but it made no noticeable difference. I searched for ways to remove the cursor and found this in the StackExchange Raspberry Pi forum at https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... y-pi/69180
I simply added a nocursor option as follows in the file (/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf)

xserver-command = X -nocursor

and it worked as it should. No cursor is displayed whatsoever.
That line is in the [Seat:*] section of lightdm.conf. I edited /etc/default/unclutter to stop unclutter from running.

START_UNCLUTTER="false"

I agree with the poster of that comment - No cursor is displayed whatsoever. Of course, you can't do this if you want to use a mouse while developing a presentation on a stand-alone Pi, but I'm using VNC Viewer, so the visibility of the Pi cursor doesn't matter.

Andy

andygc

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 am

Following on from my last comment, I've now removed unclutter from my installation, and to get rid of the 'not found' error message in the terminal window when I start PiPresents, I've edited pipresents.py to comment out the line that calls unclutter

#os.system('unclutter &')

Katyman

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Hello Ken!!
First of all, congratulations on such an excellent A/V utility that is amazing. I wonder if any of the malls or museums use PiP in Houston, Texas? Anyhow let me explain my problem: I am working on a diorama model that will use the Raspberry Pi 3 with a 5" touchscreen and GPIO extension card and ribbon. I am testing two video with three Push Buttons and 1 LED. On Pi Presents I want to press button 1 for the first video (Video1) to play, the second button to play the second video (Video2) and flash the LED, and button 3 to exit.

I modified a copy of pp_animate_1p3 and I was able to get the videos to play on a button press and Only Light the LED, not to flash yet. I noticed when I play a video, pressing any other button will not halt it to play the other video. I have to CTRL-Break to exit. And I need to learn if there is a procedure to make the LED flash in a 0.6 - 1.0 sec sequence (somewhere in that range) when Video2 is playing. I have considered an Raspberry Pi 3/Arduino crossover, but I would like to avoid that if possible. I have read the manual and checked online and I can't seem to find a definitive solution for this.

I plan to add 3 more videos and buttons, but for now I need to know how I can achieve to get just the videos and LED to work together on the buttons. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”