chug

High quality sound?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 am

I've had a read through some posts about people having issues with the usb dac's etc.

I'd like to build a headless music player, but sound quality is one of the priorities.

It would be nice to be able to use any dac around on the market, so would using a box like below allow this without any issues?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ViewHD-HDMI-t ... 416fa47116

Something smaller, without the dac would be good, would also be good if it could pass HDMI back on.

Can't seem to find a straight hdmi cable which has an add on putting the digital audio into a coax.

Anyone got any thoughts?

toxibunny

Re: High quality sound?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 am

You need an HDMI audio splitter / audio extractor. They're quite expensive, mind...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

ski522

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 pm

chug wrote:I've had a read through some posts about people having issues with the usb dac's etc.
That's not really true, quite a few people are running DAC's with no problems. The problems seem to be more with 192kHz/24bit DAC's, but that's overkill since most people (if anyone) will hear the difference between a 24bit DAC and the 16bit DAC. Actually a great article here (http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html) that really shows that you're probably just wasting money on a 192bit. Also the problem with 192bit DAC's is related more to the USB driver problem that's still be worked on.

This DAC is being used by quite a few people here with excellent success. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... o_detail_a

ripping

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:38 am

Having no trouble at all using the DAC (mentioned in previous post above) with the pi. Sound quality is very impressive (goodbye popping etc), and easy to set up in mpd too - just comment out whatever driver you are currently using and add this:

Code: Select all

audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "USB DAC"
        device          "hw:1,0"        # optional
        format          "44100:16:2"    # optional
        mixer_device    "default"       # optional
        mixer_control   "PCM"           # optional
        mixer_index     "0"             # optional
}
I have all my music sitting on a NAS - also run by a Raspberry Pi - and is streamed to this Pi wirelessly over the network. In this instance I have the optical output feeding into a Pioneer LX70 receiver.
I've mounted the DAC semi-permanently on top of the Element14 case using PC standoffs - not the most elegant solution, but I'm keeping my eye out for a suitable case to fit everything in (and more) so it blends in a little more with the HT stack.
I got another two of these last week, one for a laptop that has a broken headphone-out port, and one for my shed pi - also running mpd.
And this is headless too. Control is via Droid MPD Client HD (free) from my Samsung devices (phone,tablet).

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”