decrot

Why is the beagleboard so much faster than RPi

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 pm

So I'm playing around with the simplecv framework and trying to run it on a rapsberry pi. But the problem is, that it only can process a single frame in 15 seconds. I used the same code on a beagleboard and it ran literally 10 times faster.
What am I not utilizing on the RPi that's making the program run so slow? They seem to have pretty close specs in terms of processor, 1GHz for beagle-xm and I overclocked the pi to 950 MHz. I rather do this on the Pi as its a much cheaper solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

tonyhughes

Re: Why is the beagleboard so much faster than RPi

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Different family of ARM CPU.

MHz is all but meaningless for comparision between non-identical CPUs these days.

It's not a big surprise that the more expensive board is faster, which leaves you with a simple choice.

(Price vs speed).

decrot

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:28 pm

tonyhughes wrote:Different family of ARM CPU.

MHz is all but meaningless for comparision between non-identical CPUs these days.

It's not a big surprise that the more expensive board is faster, which leaves you with a simple choice.

(Price vs speed).
So do you know what the major differences are in the 2 CPUs that make the beagle that much faster?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 pm

decrot wrote:
tonyhughes wrote:Different family of ARM CPU.

(Price vs speed).
So do you know what the major differences are in the 2 CPUs that make the beagle that much faster?
Beagle is an Arm Cortex-A8, Raspi is an Arm11. Wikipedia can point out the differences. The A8 can use the Neon instruction set which provides a certain amount of parallisation in code, which can make a big difference.

But its worth checking your compiler and build settings for the code you are building on the Raspi - use the Linaro compiler from github, and ensure you have full optimisation turned on (-O3). That can make a big difference.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Jessie

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:53 pm

The difference between R Pi's ARM 11 and Beagleboard's cortex cores is 1.25 DMIPS*MHz vs 2.5 DMIPS*MHZ*cores.

The beagleboard is way overpriced for what it is. TI has canceled the OMAP line so I'm not sure it will continue to receive much support. If you want some relative performance per dollar look into Hardkernel's Odroid-X. It has a Samsung SOC on it.

bunnyfish

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Jessie wrote: The beagleboard is way overpriced for what it is. TI has canceled the OMAP line so I'm not sure it will continue to receive much support. If you want some relative performance per dollar look into Hardkernel's Odroid-X. It has a Samsung SOC on it.
The BeagleBone is the newest board from BeagleBoard.org and it's based on the TI AM335x. Still ARM cortex A8. It has nothing to do with OMAP. It looks like they're about to release a new cheaper, higher performance one with HDMI. http://beagleboard.org/unzipped

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”