badfortrains

Web interface for UPNP music streaming

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:19 am

So here goes my first pi project, another take on networked music streaming.

This started basically as an excuse to play around with node.js, and some of the coolness of mobile browsers. I had been flirting with starting something for a while but the idea of having a cheap, low power computer that could run whatever I made continuously, was really what got me from daydreaming to putting hand to keyboard. I love all the single purpose, embedded type projects the pi enables...

Which leads me to introduce wupnp, a simple web interface for making playlists from tracks on UPNP media servers and playing them to UPNP media renderers. Or, in a slightly over simplified translation, wupnp lets me control music streaming around my network from my browser. In my setup the server is a Buffalo LinkStation NAS, and the renderer is my raspberry pi running gmediarenderer-resurrected (the pi is also hosting the node.js server). The software is still a little rough around the edges, and very untested, but theoretically it should work with other renderer and server combinations.

And now for a more visual presentation, a video and an image:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72oVUozqCjE

bilibao

Re: Web interface for UPNP music streaming

Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 am

Hi,
I'm very interested in this and I may help further developing too.
I just tried to install it but didn't get what I should really do to launch it.

can you help with some instructions on how to test?
Andrea

bilibao

Re: Web interface for UPNP music streaming

Wed May 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I managed to install updating the version of node.js and adding several modules with npm:
/usr/local/bin/npm install socket.io
/usr/local/bin/npm install sqlite3
/usr/local/bin/npm install socket.io
/usr/local/bin/npm install mongojs
/usr/local/bin/npm install http-proxy
/usr/local/bin/npm install blade
/usr/local/bin/npm install connect

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”