Kratanuva

Best method for audio input on the Pi

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:24 am

Hello all! I want to run guitarix (a linux amp modeling software) on my raspberry pi, but I need a line in audio input to make it work. I've searched around online and it looks like the best way to go is some sort of USB sound card, but I'd like some recommendations before I buy one so I can know it will work well. So if anyone has tried this, and has a usb sound-card that works with the Pi (preferably under $40), I would appreciate it if you let me know about it before I order some random one off the internet and hope it works.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Best method for audio input on the Pi

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:33 am

At the moment the best (only) bet for audio-in on the PI is an USB sound card, and the wiki lists the ones that are working, and which ones are problematic.

However, the moment the I2S driver for the I2S interface that came available on the new GPIO header on revision 2 PI's works it would also be possible to connect a simple codex chip to the PI that would give you a more direct access to soundcard hardware, including audio-in, that doesn't use, (and thus taxes) the USB system.

dextrus

Re: Best method for audio input on the Pi

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:57 pm

I just tried something similar yesterday, but I'm afraid you need a Fender Mustang amp (you didn't specify the amp) and some software called PLUG. If it's not for a fender amp, this might at least set you in the right direction.

Oh, after updating and upgrading, it all worked.

Here's a highly amateur video of my attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58GcqYKLVdE

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”