KenT

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:12 pm

19walter57 wrote:Hi Ken,
Thanks for your responses again. I will do those changes & test further later.
Is it possible to run your programme so that the Visitor can select 1 of 3 questions ? Each Question has 3 answers with the Answers having a .JPG file for each one. Each Question has a Video which is shown after the Answers have been dealt with. The Controller would have to remember which question has been dealt with since the opening .JPG file - Choose one of the 3 questions. There are 3 buttons for the questions & 3 for the answers. If the Visitor got the correct Answer first then the files showing the incorrect answers would be shown before the Video.
PP has no memory. However you may be able to do what you want with hyperlinkshows or radiobuttonshows which select image tracks, mediashows, or other radiobutton/hyperlinkshows depending on which button/soft button is pressed.
19walter57 wrote: Can a gpio Trigger be used in a Subshow and/or Childshow ? Whether I spend more time on it depends on your response to this question.
Thanks for your help, Walter
Yes.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

pukkapie

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:09 am

Apologies for the post as not exactly on topic ( and my spelling ), but unsure how to use the site / forum to contact users at present and this seemed to be a relatively new post and was a query for the tboplayer that was created by ken.

The query is regarding ken's python script for omxplayer in rasbian.
Great app considering the know how required from ssh etc.
Basically building a raspbian with some multimedia functionality and the app works very well :) :D

I am not the best linux person and have created a desktop shortcut but the app seems to open partially off screen and was wondering if there was a setting in the .py to change window location on execution for a 1024*768 screen please. same issue when using terminal.
I have had a quick look at the code to find something to tweak so to speak but not a coder and assumed there would be a setting near the top of the .py to create window ( or something similar )

Any ideas please ??

Many thanks,

Only if you know answer but not important as can look into more aspects of omx
Testing with different avi's I seem to get different results although in theory should be encoded the same apart from possible screen size, but with native pi h264 etc
( although a test avi seems to have flickering at the base of the screen but may be encoded incorrectly, or a res omx doesn't like so much ) as others seem to play at different screen sizes etc and cant see an option to default to 4:3 or similar ?

Thanks again

KenT

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:45 am

pukkapie wrote:Apologies for the post as not exactly on topic ( and my spelling ), but unsure how to use the site / forum to contact users at present and this seemed to be a relatively new post and was a query for the tboplayer that was created by ken.

the app seems to open partially off screen and was wondering if there was a setting in the .py to change window location on execution for a 1024*768 screen please. same issue when using terminal.

Only if you know answer but not important as can look into more aspects of omx
Testing with different avi's I seem to get different results although in theory should be encoded the same apart from possible screen size, but with native pi h264 etc
( although a test avi seems to have flickering at the base of the screen but may be encoded incorrectly, or a res omx doesn't like so much ) as others seem to play at different screen sizes etc and cant see an option to default to 4:3 or similar ?

Thanks again
In TBO Player select the options menu item and add the following to omx options --win '0 0 1024 768'

details here https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more

pukkapie

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi again ken.

Thanks for the reply, the query regarding the screen location was for the interface/GUI rather than the video playback screen, but will test out the option suggested as may fix the screen res for some video files.
I have attached a jpg ( black square being desktop and blue square being interface/gui before any video playback has been selected) I was wondering if this could be launched easily to centre of desktop as am building something for my nephew who is not over it literate at this point :) and trying to make it as user friendly as possible.
As I am using a *.desktop file to launch the app would there be a command to select screen location or something similar ??
Apologies as wording may not be in the best terminology and issue may be os related and not anything to do with your coding / tboplayer :)

thanks again in advance and hopefully the last posting on here for now :¬)
Attachments
tboplayer.jpg
tboplayer.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 2507 times

KenT

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:13 pm

pukkapie wrote:Hi again ken.

Thanks for the reply, the query regarding the screen location was for the interface/GUI rather than the video playback screen, but will test out the option suggested as may fix the screen res for some video files.
OK I see what you want.

Change line 511 of TBOplayer.py - self.root.geometry('408x300+750+300')

Details of format here:

http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/wm.htm

esqualli

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 am

Hi all!

To not load this topic, I opened a new one with some doubts about Pi Presents

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=107196

Thanks inadvance to all of you for your great job with this community!

Jimmuk

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi and thank you for this wonderful application. I can appreciate the time and effort you have put into PiPresents and there will be a donation coming your way shortly.

I do have some problems which I hope someone can assist me with.

My setup is a Raspberry Pi2 and installed along with PiPresents is Apache2, MySql and Joomla. This provides me with a web interface to design web pages (Joomla) and serve them as html (Apache2) using a database (MySql).

The setup is using localhost (127.0.0.1) as the web address and PiPresents uses the generated html pages as Web Tracks.

I was using html pages from the web but the download was slow and this causes UZBL to generate a default screen between loads and the accompanying white splash page - very obtrusive..

Thus I set up the web server as local in the Raspberry and the pages load very fast so no problem with UZBL.

So far everything is working to an extent. I have had one show running for approx. 12 hours with everything appearing smooth and seamless and using the debug option in PiPresents shows no errors. However after about 12 hours suddenly the UZBL-core crashes and I lose the browser window. I have seen this previously where the crash occurred after two or three hours and so far a 12 hour run has been my best yet.

PiPresents is still running and there are no errors indicated. However I cannot close PiPresents. I see no errors in any log files for any of the applications.

The webserver is still running and I can load the pages using the Epiphany browser. I can still connect remotely with the Pi and to all intents the system is running normally.

What I can't do is close PiPresents or get it to restart.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps on how I can track what is causing the crash and what to monitor - perhaps I am looking in the wrong place with the error logs and simply missing what has happened. Perhaps a way of forcing UZBL to restart.

Looking for clues at this point so any assistance will be appreciated.
regards to all - Jimmuk
regards,
Jimmuk

jcmtech

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi, I'm having an issue with Pi Presents displaying an image file that's stored on a file server. The program launches just fine and in the log I see it saying "track to play is: /mnt/fileshare/._test1.jpg", so it's seeing the file share fine, but the file is just named "test1.jpg", so I'm not sure if that's what the problem is or not... but all I'm seeing is the nebula image that it seems to default to for the example shows (the example liveshow is what I'm using, haven't gotten into creating my own shows yet). Any idea what the issue might be?

KenT

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:10 pm

jcmtech wrote:Hi, I'm having an issue with Pi Presents displaying an image file that's stored on a file server. The program launches just fine and in the log I see it saying "track to play is: /mnt/fileshare/._test1.jpg", so it's seeing the file share fine, but the file is just named "test1.jpg", so I'm not sure if that's what the problem is or not... but all I'm seeing is the nebula image that it seems to default to for the example shows (the example liveshow is what I'm using, haven't gotten into creating my own shows yet). Any idea what the issue might be?
liveshow looks for tracks in 2 directoies pp_live_tracks and the directory specified by the -l command line option. It would appear you have the incorrect vaue for the -l command line option. If I remember correctly the 'track to play' message is sent before the track is checked to see if the file exists also, if the file does not exist PP just ignores the file.

KenT

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Jimmuk wrote:Hi and thank you for this wonderful application. I can appreciate the time and effort you have put into PiPresents and there will be a donation coming your way shortly.

I do have some problems which I hope someone can assist me with.

My setup is a Raspberry Pi2 and installed along with PiPresents is Apache2, MySql and Joomla. This provides me with a web interface to design web pages (Joomla) and serve them as html (Apache2) using a database (MySql).

The setup is using localhost (127.0.0.1) as the web address and PiPresents uses the generated html pages as Web Tracks.

I was using html pages from the web but the download was slow and this causes UZBL to generate a default screen between loads and the accompanying white splash page - very obtrusive..

Thus I set up the web server as local in the Raspberry and the pages load very fast so no problem with UZBL.

So far everything is working to an extent. I have had one show running for approx. 12 hours with everything appearing smooth and seamless and using the debug option in PiPresents shows no errors. However after about 12 hours suddenly the UZBL-core crashes and I lose the browser window. I have seen this previously where the crash occurred after two or three hours and so far a 12 hour run has been my best yet.

Pi Presents is still running and there are no errors indicated. However I cannot close PiPresents. I see no errors in any log files for any of the applications.

The webserver is still running and I can load the pages using the Epiphany browser. I can still connect remotely with the Pi and to all intents the system is running normally.

What I can't do is close Pi Presents or get it to restart.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps on how I can track what is causing the crash and what to monitor - perhaps I am looking in the wrong place with the error logs and simply missing what has happened. Perhaps a way of forcing UZBL to restart.

Looking for clues at this point so any assistance will be appreciated.
regards to all - Jimmuk
PP runs uzbl omplayer and mplayer as separate processes using pexpect for the communication. Unlike the other 2, uzbl does not send back regular status messages so PP cannot detect that it has crashed. It might send back error messages though. If you look at pp_uzbldriver.py and uncomment lines 69 and 71 pexpect will write communication to a file. Look at the file after a crash but before restarting PP. Also us the free linux command to see if uzbl/PP has a memory leak and all the RAM has been used up.

As for PP closing, I get the same problem if omxplayer crashes. PP will not close because it has sub-processes. What I find you need to do is CTRL-Z out of PP then use killall uzbl to remove the uzbl processes. Use top -upi to see what processes are running. Of course this of no use if you are running automatically. With uzbl not sending regular status I'm not sure what the fully automatic crash recovery solution would be.

This is the first report I have had of uzbl crashing, which might just mean not many people are using it. You have obviously invested a lot of time and effort into PP but if you are developing a browser only application it might be worth looking a browser only app such as Screenly OSE or Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)

Casey Scalf

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Is there a way to force audio to be played back though HDMI "AND" Local outputs?

Sometimes I need both instead of choosing one or the other.

KenT

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Casey Scalf wrote:Is there a way to force audio to be played back though HDMI "AND" Local outputs?

Sometimes I need both instead of choosing one or the other.
For omxplayer (video tracks) its possible but not in PP-next. I need to add it to the next version of PP which is currently under development.

For mplayer (audio tracks) it does not look possible.

jcmtech

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:53 pm

KenT wrote:
jcmtech wrote:Hi, I'm having an issue with Pi Presents displaying an image file that's stored on a file server. The program launches just fine and in the log I see it saying "track to play is: /mnt/fileshare/._test1.jpg", so it's seeing the file share fine, but the file is just named "test1.jpg", so I'm not sure if that's what the problem is or not... but all I'm seeing is the nebula image that it seems to default to for the example shows (the example liveshow is what I'm using, haven't gotten into creating my own shows yet). Any idea what the issue might be?
liveshow looks for tracks in 2 directoies pp_live_tracks and the directory specified by the -l command line option. It would appear you have the incorrect vaue for the -l command line option. If I remember correctly the 'track to play' message is sent before the track is checked to see if the file exists also, if the file does not exist PP just ignores the file.
Hi Ken, thank you for taking the time to respond to me, it turns out I'm an idiot... the files were originally added to the file share from a Mac, which explains why a hidden ._test1.jpg file was created in addition to the regular test1.jpg file. Pi Presents (or more likely omxplayer) seems to be choking when it tries to play the hidden ._test1.jpg file, which I think is just icon/file information used by OS X. Deleting that file solves the issue.

Is there a way to have Pi Presents ignore hidden files? I can't imagine why you'd want to have hidden images in your show and it opens the possibility of someone sabotaging a show with a hidden "bomb" image of some sort . . .

KenT

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:28 pm

jcmtech wrote:
KenT wrote:
Hi Ken, thank you for taking the time to respond to me, it turns out I'm an idiot... the files were originally added to the file share from a Mac, which explains why a hidden ._test1.jpg file was created in addition to the regular test1.jpg file. Pi Presents (or more likely omxplayer) seems to be choking when it tries to play the hidden ._test1.jpg file, which I think is just icon/file information used by OS X. Deleting that file solves the issue.

Is there a way to have Pi Presents ignore hidden files? I can't imagine why you'd want to have hidden images in your show and it opens the possibility of someone sabotaging a show with a hidden "bomb" image of some sort . . .
Not in pp-next, I will add it to the next version which is in development. It would be pretty simple to add it to pp-next In liveshow.py around line 231 just test for . as the first character of title

Casey Scalf

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:29 pm

Trying to change the key assignments in PiPresents in the keys.cfg file. I uncommented one at the bottom and it does not do anything. I tried restarting and compiling the files. But still no luck.

I also tried stashing a copy in the profile folder but that did not make a difference

How can I make it take effect?

Casey Scalf

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:16 am

I am also getting a bright white, one frame long, white screen after each video clip that is played through. I see that in the terminal I get the message:

"unclutter: someone created a sub-window to my sub-window! giving up"

Are these related? How can I remove that white frame that pops up?

KenT

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:29 am

Casey Scalf wrote:Trying to change the key assignments in PiPresents in the keys.cfg file. I uncommented one at the bottom and it does not do anything. I tried restarting and compiling the files. But still no luck.

I also tried stashing a copy in the profile folder but that did not make a difference

How can I make it take effect?
Looks like a bug in keys.cfg

The - should be an _ see here http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/tkinter-e ... ndings.htm

<Control_F1> = pp-exit

I don't have pp-next to test at the moment,could you confirm this is the case.

KenT

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:39 am

Casey Scalf wrote:I am also getting a bright white, one frame long, white screen after each video clip that is played through. I see that in the terminal I get the message:

Probably not related, unclutter is to do with the cursor. I get this message all the time.

i have never seen a white flash but synchronising the transition between tracks has been a bit of a challenge. Some suggestions

- Not using fullscreen (-f) and seeing the desktop.
- You have set a white background for the show
- There is actually a white frame at the end of the video. Try omxplayer -o hdmi myvideo.mp4
- Are you using back to back videos, a gap of a second or so is to be expected when the background set by PP shows.
- Try windowing the video using warp 100 100 700 800. It might reveal the problem.

Casey Scalf

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:51 am

KenT wrote:
Casey Scalf wrote:I am also getting a bright white, one frame long, white screen after each video clip that is played through. I see that in the terminal I get the message:

Probably not related, unclutter is to do with the cursor. I get this message all the time.

i have never seen a white flash but synchronising the transition between tracks has been a bit of a challenge. Some suggestions

- Not using fullscreen (-f) and seeing the desktop.
- You have set a white background for the show
- There is actually a white frame at the end of the video. Try omxplayer -o hdmi myvideo.mp4
- Are you using back to back videos, a gap of a second or so is to be expected when the background set by PP shows.
- Try windowing the video using warp 100 100 700 800. It might reveal the problem.
I checked the video for frames at the end.
Unfortunately I need fullscreen.
White background is also a no go (project constraint).
They are back to back videos however.
I will try windowing soon!

Excellent thoughts though, I will report if it is fixed.

Casey Scalf

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:00 pm

What is a proven way to auto start PiPresents?

I followed the instructions in the manual to the T but these did not launch the program.

I have tried about 4 other methods including rc.local and not one will launch the Pi Presents profile.

Why is this? How has everyone else been doing it? We wrote the profile ina few hours and have spent the past 2 days trying to get it to launch when power is applied to the Pi.

It works when I put it in Terminal but it will not autorun in any configuration I have tried. This is really the clincher to making this useful. We can't have a librarian running around to all 30 installation with a wireless keyboard using terminal to start these up.

Please, any tips are extremely welcome.

KenT

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 am

Casey Scalf wrote:What is a proven way to auto start PiPresents?

I followed the instructions in the manual to the T but these did not launch the program.

See here if you have Raspbian post xmas 2014

https://pipresents.wordpress.com/news/

Casey Scalf

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:37 am

Thank you, I found out the secret was to change the name.

"Ben says, it seems the autostart directory name has changed to /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/ from /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE/"

Question, can you launch other things from this folder on startup?

Does it have to be in a file called "autostart"?
KenT wrote:
Casey Scalf wrote:What is a proven way to auto start PiPresents?

See here if you have Raspbian post xmas 2014

https://pipresents.wordpress.com/news/

KenT

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:51 am

Casey Scalf wrote:Thank you, I found out the secret was to change the name.

"Ben says, it seems the autostart directory name has changed to /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/ from /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE/"

Question, can you launch other things from this folder on startup?

Does it have to be in a file called "autostart"?
a 5 second gogle reveals

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession#Autos ... _lxsession

azkyote

Wed May 06, 2015 6:13 pm

I have been working on a display board for our Hospital and had been using Libreoffice as the presentation software. While troubleshooting some issues with that I was informed of PiPresents. The issue I am having is with the installation on my Windows 7 pc. I have Python 3.4 (command line - 64 bit) installed and have downloaded the PiPresents-Next files and followed the seemingly very simple instructions. When I try to open PP_Editor.py, a DOS window pops up briefly and then closes. I am unable to launch the Editor or the PiPresents.py application.

Also, I have verified that the files are associated with Python.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

KenT

Wed May 06, 2015 6:20 pm

azkyote wrote:I have been working on a display board for our Hospital and had been using Libreoffice as the presentation software. While troubleshooting some issues with that I was informed of PiPresents. The issue I am having is with the installation on my Windows 7 pc. I have Python 3.4 (command line - 64 bit) installed and have downloaded the PiPresents-Next files and followed the seemingly very simple instructions. When I try to open PP_Editor.py, a DOS window pops up briefly and then closes. I am unable to launch the Editor or the PiPresents.py application.

Also, I have verified that the files are associated with Python.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Pi Presents is written for Python 2.7

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”