rbn

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Ken
I saw you across the other side of the room at the MK Jam a week ago, but didn't manange a chat as I was tied up with my own display. However, I have now downloaded pipresents (the latest pipresents-nxt) and given it a go over the weekend, and thought I'd post my impressions. It is a very comprehensive package, but perhaps a little daunting at first sight as to where to begin. The example profiles help, but there were two problems with these. First, you really need to view them full screen, as the small window which appears by default doesn't really show much. On my monitor a 22" HDMI even at full screen I had to reduce the font sizes to get the text to display completely.
As a first project, I decided to see if I could transfer a powerpoint presentation (for a desert islands disk type of show with 24 slides, each second one having a piece of music or a video associated with it) onto pipresents. After some playing around I got it going. I printed the powerpoint slides to a pdf, and then used convert (from imagemagick) to convert this to individual jpgs. I put these into a media show, with manual advance between slides. I put each of the12 audio/video tracks into a separate show, and used the relevant jpg in the media show to trigger the relevant audio/video show to run. using the show control at beginning with for example audio4 start in it. I also put audio4 stop in the show control at end field, which allowed fast forwarding through the presentation without having to wait for the music/video track to conclude. I still had to do a manual advance through the presentation, which was OK as there would be a short introduction from the speaker before each piece of music was selected. A nice addition to pipresents would be the ability for a track in one show to send a "finished" signal to a different show in this case for example as a next track signal to advance to the next picture track in the main media show. There may be ways to achieve this already, but I haven't found one yet. I did try splitting the jpgs into separate shows and cross triggering from jpg to audio to jpg show etc.... but this proved rather unmanageable.
Two further points. With 12 very similar audio shows, it would be nice to have the ability in the editor to duplicate a show perhaps just leaving the name and the link to the .json file blank. This would obviate the need to adjust all the other settings which are probably the same. Finally one slight "bug" When you validate with the editor it objects to the command pipresents exit being placed in the show control at end field of the last jpg, even though the documentation suggests this to exit pipresents, and in fact it works. (I think the pipresents is a dummy word and anything will do followed by exit)
In conclusion, an excellent package, it gave me a nice finished "powerpoint" presentation, and I look forward to exploring it further.

leew87

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:08 pm

i am a real raspberry pi/ linux newbie i have been trying to use risevision http://tinyurl.com/nrznhcw which is very good once i managed to get it installed for the but can not get it to handle video or flash.

i hope to give this package a try and hopefully it will give me what i am after what type of video does it support.

would it be possiable to have a twitter feature that would pull the latest tweets from a set twitter account as the other package does.

also would be great if this could be managed remotely from a PC or via the internet so that screen at multi location could be edited.

KenT

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Ken
>>>I saw you across the other side of the room at the MK Jam a week ago, but didn't manage a chat as I was tied up with my own display. However, I have now downloaded pipresents (the latest pipresents-next) and given it a go over the weekend, and thought I'd post my impressions.

Hi, I met you when you demonstrated your music composing program.

>>>> It is a very comprehensive package, but perhaps a little daunting at first sight as to where to begin.

Yup, its growing rather large and being very flexible takes a bit of getting into . The idea was to use the examples as an easy way to get going and then hope that people will try out things.It's very easy to use the editor to knock up a simple profile to try an idea. I am aiming to add How Tos to the Hints and Tips Page of the website. Contributions welcome.

>>> The example profiles help, but there were two problems with these. First, you really need to view them full screen, as the small window which appears by default doesn't really show much. On my monitor a 22" HDMI even at full screen I had to reduce the font sizes to get the text to display completely.

The small window is a bug, I need to make it a fixed proportion of the screen size to allow for all screen resolutions. For fullscreen different monitor resolutions (not sizes) are a problem as Pi Presents does not automatically adjust. I probably ought to make the font sizes a bit smaller to accommodate other than my HD screen.

>>As a first project, I decided to see if I could transfer a powerpoint presentation (for a desert islands disk type of show with 24 slides, each second one having a piece of music or a video associated with it) onto pipresents. After some playing around I got it going. I printed the powerpoint slides to a pdf, and then used convert (from imagemagick) to convert this to individual jpgs.

Quite a complex first project, well done. You can export jpegs direct from Powerpoint, but it may not give you the size you require.

>> I put these into a media show, with manual advance between slides. I put each of the 12 audio/video tracks into a separate show, and used the relevant jpg in the media show to trigger the relevant audio/video show to run. using the show control at beginning with for example audio4 start in it. I also put audio4 stop in the show control at end field, which allowed fast forwarding through the presentation without having to wait for the music/video track to conclude. I still had to do a manual advance through the presentation, which was OK as there would be a short introduction from the speaker before each piece of music was selected. A nice addition to pipresents would be the ability for a track in one show to send a "finished" signal to a different show in this case for example as a next track signal to advance to the next picture track in the main media show. There may be ways to achieve this already, but I haven't found one yet. I did try splitting the jpgs into separate shows and cross triggering from jpg to audio to jpg show etc.... but this proved rather unmanageable.

The way I would try would be to have a show of audio tracks. Make the jpegs the backgrounds of the audio track. Alternatively do what you did but make the audio tracks into the main show and trigger the jpegs using start and stop show.

Like your cross triggering idea. I'll add it to the todo list. It would have something like 'myothershow trigger-next' in the show control field.

My experience with Pi Presents is that making good looking content is much more time consuming than setting up the shows. So I am not too concerned about a bit of tedium as hopefully once set up the show will be on display for months or years.

>>>> With 12 very similar audio shows, it would be nice to have the ability in the editor to duplicate a show perhaps just leaving the name and the link to the .json file blank. This would obviate the need to adjust all the other settings which are probably the same.

Yes, I am going to add this and make medialist creation automatic. The editor is going through a major overhaul at the moment.

>> Finally one slight "bug" When you validate with the editor it objects to the command pipresents exit being placed in the show control at end field of the last jpg, even though the documentation suggests this to exit pipresents, and in fact it works. (I think the pipresents is a dummy word and anything will do followed by exit).

Yup, pipresents is a dummy.

>>>In conclusion, an excellent package, it gave me a nice finished "powerpoint" presentation, and I look forward to exploring it further.

:-)
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

KenT

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:08 pm

leew87 wrote:i am a real raspberry pi/ linux newbie i have been trying to use risevision http://tinyurl.com/nrznhcw which is very good once i managed to get it installed for the but can not get it to handle video or flash.

i hope to give this package a try and hopefully it will give me what i am after what type of video does it support.

would it be possiable to have a twitter feature that would pull the latest tweets from a set twitter account as the other package does.

also would be great if this could be managed remotely from a PC or via the internet so that screen at multi location could be edited.
Pi presents use omxplayer to play videos so it supports and format that omxpllayer supports. mp4 and a few others out of the box. More if you buy additional codecs from the Foundation.

I ma going to implement a browser player sometime, but nothing special for Twitter.

The liveshow gives a bit of remote editing capability, also the browser would allow this. Sounds like you need a digital signage package like Screenly. There are a few other appearing for the Raspberry Pi.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more

sandoz

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:44 pm

stupid question, but what is being meant with
Open a terminal window in your home directory and type:

is that a ssh connection? or do i connect with vnc?

KenT

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:41 am

sandoz wrote:stupid question, but what is being meant with
Open a terminal window in your home directory and type:

is that a ssh connection? or do i connect with vnc?
I believe you cannot run Pi Presents from ssh or vnc. All or part of it may not work.

Run Pi Presents from a monitor and keyboard connected directly to the Pi
Use startx to run the LXDE desktop
Use Filemanager to open the pi directory
use the Tools menu to open a terminal window

KenT

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Update to the beta of the next version now available. Head over to

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 91#p423091

to read about it.

2-sidedtoast

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:52 pm

KenT:

Thanks for releasing this package. I started rolling my own for a local school and for a children's discovery/science museum but then found yours. Works great.

For the one for school, they wanted to have some "dynamic" content other than just swapping images (using liveshow)
so I wrote a quick (sloppy?) python prog to create images on-the-fly that can be saved to the liveshow media folder for inclusion in the show.
Currently it gets current temperature, current condition and wind speed/direction and overlays that text on an existing jpg. The new jpg is then saved out to a share folder, rsync then copies it into the liveshow folder for inclusion.
This chunk of code could be easily re-purposed for twitter feeds, facebook, news feeds, what-have-you.
It is currently set for US postal codes. I started to look at uk.weather.com and also wetter.de and it would be quite simple to modify for those sites. I will add support for those shortly.
The script requires a local "blank" jpg on which to write the text.

thanks for your work on Pi Presents, it is looking to be a great tool!

cheers!

(source is at http://code.google.com/p/python-weather-images/ ... no, I could NOT think of a good name :oops:

KenT

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi

I think this is a great idea. I am going to include an 'add-on' facility in the imageplayer which will have an API to call a function like yours just before the image is displayed. That will make updates dynamic and automatic and also work for any type of show.

You maybe interested to know that the next iteration of [pipresents-next] will include a web browser based on uzbl. I have it working and am currently working on a much enhanced menushow.

Ken
2-sidedtoast wrote:KenT:

Thanks for releasing this package. I started rolling my own for a local school and for a children's discovery/science museum but then found yours. Works great.

For the one for school, they wanted to have some "dynamic" content other than just swapping images (using liveshow)
so I wrote a quick (sloppy?) python prog to create images on-the-fly that can be saved to the liveshow media folder for inclusion in the show.
Currently it gets current temperature, current condition and wind speed/direction and overlays that text on an existing jpg. The new jpg is then saved out to a share folder, rsync then copies it into the liveshow folder for inclusion.
This chunk of code could be easily re-purposed for twitter feeds, facebook, news feeds, what-have-you.
It is currently set for US postal codes. I started to look at uk.weather.com and also wetter.de and it would be quite simple to modify for those sites. I will add support for those shortly.
The script requires a local "blank" jpg on which to write the text.

thanks for your work on Pi Presents, it is looking to be a great tool!

cheers!

(source is at http://code.google.com/p/python-weather-images/ ... no, I could NOT think of a good name :oops:

Gerry2013

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 am

Hi,
First of all, great application!!
I'm a student, trying to get liveshow function working, but after reading the manual I'm still uncertain of how to go about using it. As Liveshow allows dynamically upload image, video or audio tracks over the
network for display in a repeating show. It is exactly what I want to do for my raspberry pi to display media across a network, I've Samba set-up already!

Sorry, I'm still new, thanks in advance! :D

KenT

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 am

Gerry2013 wrote:Hi,
I'm a student, trying to get liveshow function working, but after reading the manual I'm still uncertain of how to go about using it. As Liveshow allows dynamically upload image, video or audio tracks over the
network for display in a repeating show. It is exactly what I want to do for my raspberry pi to display media across a network, I've Samba set-up already!

For liveshow you need to put the tracks to play into the pp_live_tracks directory. It sounds like you do not know how to do this. I use Filezilla on my Windows PC to sftp the tracks to the Pi, no need to install anything on the Pi, just enable ssh in config.txt. I guess you might write a Python program on the PC to do the transfer, anyone know how? Maybe you could use Samba, not sure.

if you are having problems setting up the liveshow or Pi Presents then you need to ask a more specific question.

Gerry2013

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am

KenT wrote:
Gerry2013 wrote:Hi,

For liveshow you need to put the tracks to play into the pp_live_tracks directory. It sounds like you do not know how to do this. I use Filezilla on my Windows PC to sftp the tracks to the Pi, no need to install anything on the Pi, just enable ssh in config.txt. I guess you might write a Python program on the PC to do the transfer, anyone know how? Maybe you could use Samba, not sure.

if you are having problems setting up the liveshow or Pi Presents then you need to ask a more specific question.
For instance, I've placed tracks into the directory, pp_live_tracks, but how do I add in my liveshow[liveshow], under my liveshow.json 's track? So that to ensure when I execute "python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -p liveshow" my tracks would run?
I can do it for MediaShow's media.json simply by adding file by file, under the tracks, apparently I can't do that for liveshow.

KenT

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Gerry2013 wrote:
For instance, I've placed tracks into the directory, pp_live_tracks, but how do I add in my liveshow[liveshow], under my liveshow.json 's track? So that to ensure when I execute "python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -p liveshow" my tracks would run?
I can do it for MediaShow's media.json simply by adding file by file, under the tracks, apparently I can't do that for liveshow.
Liveshow is different to other shows in that it does not need tracks to be added to the liveshow.json file. The medialist is assembled dynamically from the tracks in the pp_live_tracks directory as Pi Presents is running.

Gerry2013

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:21 am

KenT wrote:
Gerry2013 wrote:
Liveshow is different to other shows in that it does not need tracks to be added to the liveshow.json file. The medialist is assembled dynamically from the tracks in the pp_live_tracks directory as Pi Presents is running.
Thanks a million for the help! I've got it!! However, is it possible to do the same for images/gif files, for liveshow function as well? As when it comes to displaying image/gif files, it just doesn't transit to the next media and stays the same for pretty much eternal.

Meaning which, I wish to dynamically manage images content to be displayed similiarly with videos on liveshow, can it be done? Thanks again!

[EDIT]
By the way do you happen to know where are the media files being cached at? Its because I've tried playing a large file and deleting it from live tracks, it still runs smoothly. Just wondering, because it is definitely not the ram, as my file is well over 1GB.

KenT

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:49 am

Gerry2013 wrote:
is it possible to do the same for images/gif files, for liveshow function as well? As when it comes to displaying image/gif files, it just doesn't transit to the next media and stays the same for pretty much eternal.

Meaning which, I wish to dynamically manage images content to be displayed similiarly with videos on liveshow, can it be done? Thanks again!

[EDIT]
By the way do you happen to know where are the media files being cached at? Its because I've tried playing a large file and deleting it from live tracks, it still runs smoothly. Just wondering, because it is definitely not the ram, as my file is well over 1GB.
Liveshow works for images, audio and video tracks. For images the duration is set in the show element of the profile. 0 is forever, a positive integer is in seconds. Default out of the box is 5 seconds so it should not have gone on forever unless you have changed the duration. It's all in the manual.

Deleting a file does not delete it from disk it just moves it to a trash diectory. I suspect the file system is clever in this respect and continues playing it. I reckon it would be different if the file was on a usb stick and you pulled out the stick. Also what happens if you move the file to another directory while its playing.

Gerry2013

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:09 am

KenT wrote: Liveshow works for images, audio and video tracks. For images the duration is set in the show element of the profile. 0 is forever, a positive integer is in seconds. Default out of the box is 5 seconds so it should not have gone on forever unless you have changed the duration. It's all in the manual.

Deleting a file does not delete it from disk it just moves it to a trash diectory. I suspect the file system is clever in this respect and continues playing it. I reckon it would be different if the file was on a usb stick and you pulled out the stick. Also what happens if you move the file to another directory while its playing.
Ohh I overlooked that part. Sorry for the trouble caused.
I'm currently using Samba to make the folder pp_live_tracks shared, and I can move the files in there to my windows pc, so I don't think it will be in the Raspberry's thrash. It still runs smoothly, that is why I'm wondering where do they continue to store it?

KenT

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 am

Update to the beta of the next version now available. Head over to

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=39985

to read about it.

Dennis1991

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 am

Hello,

I have tested your Program and I'm very happy with it :)

However, I have a question / a little problem for the MediaShow:

In this script is it possible to define that it can also be any pictures?

Currently you have entered the name of the pictures, e.g. "River.jpg"

I have the problem in the company, that there are different names of the images every week.
E.g. sometimes "presentation1.jpg" and the next week then "domino1.jpg" - It is not always the same name!

Do you have a solution?

Thanks and Regards
Dennis1991

KenT

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:13 am

Dennis1991 wrote:Hello,

I have tested your Program and I'm very happy with it :)

However, I have a question / a little problem for the MediaShow:

In this script is it possible to define that it can also be any pictures?

Currently you have entered the name of the pictures, e.g. "River.jpg"

I have the problem in the company, that there are different names of the images every week.
E.g. sometimes "presentation1.jpg" and the next week then "domino1.jpg" - It is not always the same name!

Do you have a solution?

Thanks and Regards
Dennis1991
Not really at the moment.

The best I can think of is:

To use a Liveshow. Then you can place any image in the pp_live_tracks directory and they will be played in filename order.
To use Web Tracks and display web pages with the images on it.

I have got a number of ideas for improving liveshows to do what you want but they are probably a couple of months away.

Alternatively, get your company under control ;-) - probably the easiest at the moment.

johnlewis321

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Ken,

Firstly thank you very much for putting this package together, the liveshow feature is just what I have been looking for (combined with all the other little tips in the manual!!). I was previously using the mediashow feature to display, but didn't like having to use the editor every time I wanted to add new content.

However, since I have started using the liveshow feature I have noticed that the movie files that I am using (which previoulsy worked fine on a mediashow) only play for around 10 seconds (the same length of time as the slide duration, but this may be a coincidence).

Can you think of any reason why the video files would not be playing right through to the end before moving onto a jpeg file?

For information I am running this all off a memory stick (i.e. pipresents folder and pp_live_tracks are all stored on the memory stick), as I can not connect my Pi to a network where it is being used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

robertatquestacon

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:57 am

Pipresents remains the best Raspberry Pi media player where you need to loop the content but I have come upon the same problem as JohnLewis. While the oxmplayer will play MOV and MP4 videos to their end, the same HD 1080p videos called from a pipresents video track will stop after about 10 seconds. Using the debug mode shows 10 repetitions of:

12:30 VideoPlayer State machine: omx_ending
12:30 VideoPlayer State machine: is omx process running? - True

before:

14.36 ERROR: VideoPlayer <omxplayer failed to close at 0.0
14.36 ERROR: VideoPlayer pexpect.before isVideo codec omx-h264 width 1920 height 1080 profile 77 fps 25.00000

When I looked into the video player script, it seems that, while the omxplayer is continuing to run, it is reporting that it has ended. The VideoPlayer script accepts 10 of these and then kills the omxplayer thread. It seems that for these videos at least, omxplayer is telling lies.

Ken, I am guessing that this is your method to avoid the long shutdown that omxplayer follows?

Since the 30 second long video that comes with the pipresents examples runs fine and it is 720p MKV format, I have converted my videos to MKV format and now they run fine. Converting to MP4 did not work. The converter I used just passed the mpeg4 content straight through, so it is something in the MP4 and MOV wrappers that is not being understood in omxplayer.

I see on the web page: http://www.sundh.com/blog/2013/10/loop- ... omxplayer/ that others are trying to tackle the poor looping behaviour with omxplayer and so possibly we will need to wait for omxplayer to evolve to fix this problem.

Keep up the good work.

KenT

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Robert and John

I think what you are seeing is a bug in later versions of omxplayer which has been causing all sorts of unreliability problems. Fortunately @jehutting has found a solution. @popcornmix has integrated the fix into the main branch and a compiled binary is now here http://omxplayer.sconde.net/

I'm working on gapless based on the sundh idea. The code you saw is not part of it.

robertatquestacon

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:46 am

Using http://omxplayer.sconde.net/ solved my problems, which is just as well as the conversion to MKV format which worked on an older raspbian os, failed to work on a more recent one. Thank you.

robertatquestacon

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:01 am

More trouble with playing video.
pipresents plays the two 60 second long (170meg) HD MKV videos and one text message in a loop for a while ( 10 min to 30 min) and then only the text message appears. When the pipresents program is stopped, the terminal behaves oddly for a while saying things like "No child process" to any entry and then settles down but still will not play the video either under pipresents or omxplayer. Using the omxplayer -g option only creates a log with one line saying it is starting and no more. The -d option in pipresents gives:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~/pipresents $ python pipresents.py -p pp_autorun -d
0.44   PiPresents   Pi Presents is starting
0.45   PiPresents    OS and separator:posix  /
0.45   PiPresents   sys.path[0] -  location of code: /home/pi/pipresents
0.45   PiPresents   pp_home directory is: /home/pi/pp_home
0.45   PiPresents   Trying pp_home at: /home/pi/pp_home (1)
0.45   PiPresents   Found Requested Home Directory, using pp_home at: /home/pi/pp_home
0.45   PiPresents   Found Requested profile - pp_profile directory is: /home/pi/pp_home/pp_profiles/pp_autorun
0.51   ResourceReader   resources.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/resources.cfg
1.51   ControlsManager   controls.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/controls.cfg
1.52   KbdDriver   keys.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/keys.cfg
1.55   ScreenDriver   screen.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/screen.cfg
1.55   ShowManager   start -1: Starting show mymediashow 0
1.56   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Starting show
1.58   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Waiting for trigger: start
1.85   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track type is: video
1.85   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track to play is: /home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Richard.mkv
2.01   VideoPlayer   >play track received
2.01   OMXDriver   Send command to omxplayer: /usr/bin/omxplayer -s -o hdmi --vol 0     '/home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Richard.mkv'
2.05   VideoPlayer   Playing track from show Id: 0
2.12   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_starting
2.12   VideoPlayer               <start play signal received from omx
2.12   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_playing started
12.24   VideoPlayer               <end play signal received
12.24   VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
12.24  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
12.24  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <pexpect reports: timeout
12.24  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   pexpect.before  is
12.44   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_ending
12.44   VideoPlayer         State machine : is omx process running? -  True
14.48   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_ending
14.48   VideoPlayer         State machine : is omx process running? -  True
14.48  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <omxplayer failed to close at: 0.0
14.48  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   pexpect.before  is
14.94  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   omxplayer now  terminated 
14.95   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Returned from player with message: track has terminated or quit
14.95   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track type is: video
14.95   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track to play is: /home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Sarah.mkv
15.03   VideoPlayer   >play track received
15.03   OMXDriver   Send command to omxplayer: /usr/bin/omxplayer -s -o hdmi --vol 0     '/home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Sarah.mkv'
15.09   VideoPlayer   Playing track from show Id: 0
15.21   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_starting
15.22   VideoPlayer               <start play signal received from omx
15.22   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_playing started
25.14   VideoPlayer               <end play signal received
25.14   VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
25.14  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
25.14  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <pexpect reports: timeout
25.14  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   pexpect.before  is
25.35   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_ending
25.35   VideoPlayer         State machine : is omx process running? -  True
etc....
Any clues to diagnose the problem would be much appreciated.
The pi is a model b with 512Mb.
Would changing the memory allocation to the GPU help?

KenT

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Think it unlikely to be GPU allocation as the track does play, however it might be worth a try to increase it.

I have seen your problem many months ago but not recently. omxplayer crashes immediately it starts with just a single line in the log file. It stops sending the regular status reports produced by the -s option so Pi Presents detects a timeout.

This may be different to the crashes that Jozef Hutting has fixed. Try the script below to run your video in a loop. If it crashes then it would be well worth raising an issue on the omxplayer repository.

https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/issues/124
robertatquestacon wrote:More trouble with playing video.
pipresents plays the two 60 second long (170meg) HD MKV videos and one text message in a loop for a while ( 10 min to 30 min) and then only the text message appears. When the pipresents program is stopped, the terminal behaves oddly for a while saying things like "No child process" to any entry and then settles down but still will not play the video either under pipresents or omxplayer. Using the omxplayer -g option only creates a log with one line saying it is starting and no more. The -d option in pipresents gives:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~/pipresents $ python pipresents.py -p pp_autorun -d
0.44   PiPresents   Pi Presents is starting
0.45   PiPresents    OS and separator:posix  /
0.45   PiPresents   sys.path[0] -  location of code: /home/pi/pipresents
0.45   PiPresents   pp_home directory is: /home/pi/pp_home
0.45   PiPresents   Trying pp_home at: /home/pi/pp_home (1)
0.45   PiPresents   Found Requested Home Directory, using pp_home at: /home/pi/pp_home
0.45   PiPresents   Found Requested profile - pp_profile directory is: /home/pi/pp_home/pp_profiles/pp_autorun
0.51   ResourceReader   resources.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/resources.cfg
1.51   ControlsManager   controls.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/controls.cfg
1.52   KbdDriver   keys.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/keys.cfg
1.55   ScreenDriver   screen.cfg read from /home/pi/pipresents/pp_home/screen.cfg
1.55   ShowManager   start -1: Starting show mymediashow 0
1.56   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Starting show
1.58   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Waiting for trigger: start
1.85   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track type is: video
1.85   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track to play is: /home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Richard.mkv
2.01   VideoPlayer   >play track received
2.01   OMXDriver   Send command to omxplayer: /usr/bin/omxplayer -s -o hdmi --vol 0     '/home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Richard.mkv'
2.05   VideoPlayer   Playing track from show Id: 0
2.12   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_starting
2.12   VideoPlayer               <start play signal received from omx
2.12   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_playing started
12.24   VideoPlayer               <end play signal received
12.24   VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
12.24  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
12.24  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <pexpect reports: timeout
12.24  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   pexpect.before  is
12.44   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_ending
12.44   VideoPlayer         State machine : is omx process running? -  True
14.48   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_ending
14.48   VideoPlayer         State machine : is omx process running? -  True
14.48  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <omxplayer failed to close at: 0.0
14.48  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   pexpect.before  is
14.94  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   omxplayer now  terminated 
14.95   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Returned from player with message: track has terminated or quit
14.95   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track type is: video
14.95   MediaShow   mymediashow 0: Track to play is: /home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Sarah.mkv
15.03   VideoPlayer   >play track received
15.03   OMXDriver   Send command to omxplayer: /usr/bin/omxplayer -s -o hdmi --vol 0     '/home/pi/pp_home/media/DIND3484_PMScienceTeachingVideo_Sarah.mkv'
15.09   VideoPlayer   Playing track from show Id: 0
15.21   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_starting
15.22   VideoPlayer               <start play signal received from omx
15.22   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_playing started
25.14   VideoPlayer               <end play signal received
25.14   VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
25.14  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <end detected at: 0.0
25.14  ERROR:  VideoPlayer               <pexpect reports: timeout
25.14  ERROR:  VideoPlayer   pexpect.before  is
25.35   VideoPlayer         State machine: omx_ending
25.35   VideoPlayer         State machine : is omx process running? -  True
etc....
Any clues to diagnose the problem would be much appreciated.
The pi is a model b with 512Mb.
Would changing the memory allocation to the GPU help?

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”