Tumerboy

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 am

Ok, so either way, if I rewire my button to the PIR pin, or if I edit line 257 of pp_mediashow.py, that will have to be done custom for each box right?

I'll give you a little background on this. I volunteer with a local non-profit museum, and what I'd like to make is a single, reproducible kiosk, which can be whatever we need it to be with the simple swap of an SD card. So, I could take a kiosk which is showing a photo slide show now, and pull out the sd card, put in another and have it show a video (on each button press), or perhaps other possibilities that are still stewing in my brain. That way, we can potentially make 5 or so of them, and move them around the museum periodically, to show off different content appropriate to it's surroundings.

So, ideally, I'd love for the blank screen replacement to be something that could be set per show somehow. I guess in the meantime, since the only intended purpose would be for videos, it could be a simple "Push Play" screen, which would be generic enough to go with any video, then I could do a message screen at the start of each video to prime it.

Sorry, that was kind of a stream of consciousness as I work through it all in my brain. I think that'll still work, but if a blank screen replacement per show is possible as a future feature request, I think that would be useful.

BTW, thank you for all of this, I think it's a pretty fabulous piece of software. Before someone pointed me in your direction, I was trying to learn python, and code up my own scripts doing some of these things. I had a slideshow working, but the video playing, looping, and pausing at the start again was beyond me.

Edit - Editing that file to just say "Press Play" works fine for me. Thanks again.
Last edited by Tumerboy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tumerboy

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:31 am

Oh, also I did check on lxde-rc.xml, and this is the very end of the file:

Code: Select all

. . . 
  # end of the example
-->

<application name="fspipresents">
    <decor>no</decor>
  </application>

</applications>

</openbox_config>
the top bar of the PiPresents window is still visible.

Another question. In my Kiosk, I was planning to add 3 buttons on the front of it. Left, Pause/Play, Right
Currently, these are hooked up to the Up, Pause, and Down GPIO slots respectively.

So, for the slideshow, or video, you can press left/right to cycle through the images, or restart the video, or you can hit the play/pause button to pause/unpause the slideshow/video.

However, in order to kick off the video, I have to hit Return on the keyboard. Is there some way to rewire (physically or in code) so that pressing Space (or the button hooked up to Space) can also trigger the video to start playing in the first place? There doesn't seem to be any adverse effects of hitting Return while the video is playing, so maybe the button just presses Space and Return simultaneously?

Edit: Just as a test, I tried editing line 163 of pp_mediashow.py to press 'return' rather than 'p' but it didn't seem to work, presumably there's more to it.

KenT

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Tumerboy wrote:Ok, so either way, if I rewire my button to the PIR pin, or if I edit line 257 of pp_mediashow.py, that will have to be done custom for each box right?

I'll give you a little background on this. I volunteer with a local non-profit museum, and what I'd like to make is a single, reproducible kiosk, which can be whatever we need it to be with the simple swap of an SD card. So, I could take a kiosk which is showing a photo slide show now, and pull out the sd card, put in another and have it show a video (on each button press), or perhaps other possibilities that are still stewing in my brain. That way, we can potentially make 5 or so of them, and move them around the museum periodically, to show off different content appropriate to it's surroundings.

So, ideally, I'd love for the blank screen replacement to be something that could be set per show somehow. I guess in the meantime, since the only intended purpose would be for videos, it could be a simple "Push Play" screen, which would be generic enough to go with any video, then I could do a message screen at the start of each video to prime it.

Sorry, that was kind of a stream of consciousness as I work through it all in my brain. I think that'll still work, but if a blank screen replacement per show is possible as a future feature request, I think that would be useful.

BTW, thank you for all of this, I think it's a pretty fabulous piece of software. Before someone pointed me in your direction, I was trying to learn python, and code up my own scripts doing some of these things. I had a slideshow working, but the video playing, looping, and pausing at the start again was beyond me.

Edit - Editing that file to just say "Press Play" works fine for me. Thanks again.
1. Just have different resources.cfg on each SD card.
2. Use a different USB stick for each application. Each usb stick will have a pp_home with a different content which can include resources.cfg. The SD card will be the same for all five.

You are pushing the boundaries of Pi Presents version 1.1 . The next version 1.2 in [pipresents-next] will have more flexible features in this area, but they are not in it yet. I think what you want is well worth having.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

KenT

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Tumerboy wrote:Oh, also I did check on lxde-rc.xml, and this is the very end of the file:

Code: Select all

. . . 
  # end of the example
-->

<application name="fspipresents">
    <decor>no</decor>
  </application>

</applications>

</openbox_config>
the top bar of the PiPresents window is still visible.

Another question. In my Kiosk, I was planning to add 3 buttons on the front of it. Left, Pause/Play, Right
Currently, these are hooked up to the Up, Pause, and Down GPIO slots respectively.

So, for the slideshow, or video, you can press left/right to cycle through the images, or restart the video, or you can hit the play/pause button to pause/unpause the slideshow/video.

However, in order to kick off the video, I have to hit Return on the keyboard. Is there some way to rewire (physically or in code) so that pressing Space (or the button hooked up to Space) can also trigger the video to start playing in the first place? There doesn't seem to be any adverse effects of hitting Return while the video is playing, so maybe the button just presses Space and Return simultaneously?

Edit: Just as a test, I tried editing line 163 of pp_mediashow.py to press 'return' rather than 'p' but it didn't seem to work, presumably there's more to it.
the .xml file seems OK. I assume you are using Raspbian, otherwise I can't think what's wrong.

A possible solution to this and the one in your previous post is:

a. Create a repeating mediashow with 'manual' progress and trigger=start
b. First track is a 'press the next button to play the track' message or image
c. For the video application the second track will be the video. At the end of the video you will need to press next to get back to the first track
d. For the slideshow application create a second mediashow. Make it oneshot with trigger=start and progress=auto. Make this show a sub-show of the first show by giving it a Show type track. The slideshow should show all the slides automatically but can be paused and I think will require you to press next at the end.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more

Tumerboy

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I'm using the default Raspbian Wheezy build I think. I can check when I get home.

Tumerboy

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:28 am

Apparently indentation does matter in the XML file. I de-indented each line by 2 spaces, and the window top bar no longer displays!

I've got to get a couple of small thumb drives I can use to mess with to see about swapping profiles via that method.

To clarify, I would have pipresents installed on the SD card home directory (/home/pi/pipresents) as normal. But I would then put the whole mess on the thumbdrive as well? Would I just have a single profile on the thumb drive?
However, if I want it to autostart, the profile has to be called out in the LXDE/autostart file, which would be on the SD card. So how does the autostart file reference different projects on different thumbdrives?

Or would be something like, name every thumb drive the same, and name each profile the same (even if one is a slideshow, and one is a video), so that no matter which setup the thumbdrive contains, the command line to it is the same? Is there something more elegant that I'm missing?

Back on the buttons, is there no easy way to tell one button to activate both the 'p' and the 'return' key simultaneously?

Thanks again.

KenT

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:10 am

> Apparently indentation does matter in the XML file. I de-indented each line by 2 spaces, and the window top bar no longer displays!

>To clarify, I would have pipresents installed on the SD card home directory (/home/pi/pipresents) as normal. But I would then put the whole mess on the thumbdrive as well? Would I just have a single profile on the thumb drive?
However, if I want it to autostart, the profile has to be called out in the LXDE/autostart file, which would be on the SD card. So how does the autostart file reference different projects on different thumbdrives?

Or would be something like, name every thumb drive the same, and name each profile the same (even if one is a slideshow, and one is a video), so that no matter which setup the thumbdrive contains, the command line to it is the same? Is there something more elegant that I'm missing?

Allprofiles will nee to have the same name. I guess a sticky label would be a more elegant solution ;-)

>Back on the buttons, is there no easy way to tell one button to activate both the 'p' and the 'return' key simultaneously?

No. Try the solution in my previous post, better than trying to bodge Pi Presents. Keys/buttons and what they do is the most head banging part of coding Pi Presents

Tumerboy

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 am

Thanks again, I got my two projects working using duplicate names on different flash drives, and the -o /media/BLAH/ argument.

Tumerboy

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 am

I ended up wiring up one button to both GPIO inputs (with resistors on each) and it's working like I'd wanted. I have one button that both starts the Video medialist, and can pause/play the video, and the slideshow.

Tumerboy

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:28 am

So, thanks to your help, I've gotten a video to play, pause, and loop.
I've got a photo slideshow that loops through some images, and can be paused.

My next attempt was to make a multimedia presentation.

Here's how I envisioned it in my head:
Presentation starts on an image.
Pressing next plays a short animation.
Animation completes, presentation pauses on a still image of the last frame of the animation.
wash/rinse/repeat (through several animation/still image sets, then loop to the start).

My attempt didn't work out very well With pauses, I have it start on the image, pressing next (or waiting for the duration to lapse) dumps me at the black screen saying "Waiting. To show next slide press 'Next'"
Predictably, pressing next plays the video.
But then I'm dumped at a black screen again.

I have a feeling this is the same as our previous discussion about being able to use an image in place of the "Waiting." message, but wanted to check and see if I was doing something obviously idiotic.

Thanks again for all the help. This is just a bonus if I can get something working, not as critical as the other two.

heidiangove

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 am

G'day Ken,

I've been playing with your pipresents software for a week or so now and love it! Many thanks for building and sharing it with the world. I am doing some work with a local artist who presents video work here in Adelaide Australia and just need a way to loop a single or multiple video tracks in full screen. I have modified the pp_mediashow profile and have been succesful in looping but when the vidoe content finishes, there is a pause and the screen returns to the LXDE screen with the pipresents window downsized before it loops back into fullscreen.

How can I simply run the video in fullscreen and looping without this occurring?

KenT

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:40 am

heidiangove wrote:G'day Ken,

I've been playing with your pipresents software for a week or so now and love it! Many thanks for building and sharing it with the world. I am doing some work with a local artist who presents video work here in Adelaide Australia and just need a way to loop a single or multiple video tracks in full screen. I have modified the pp_mediashow profile and have been succesful in looping but when the vidoe content finishes, there is a pause and the screen returns to the LXDE screen with the pipresents window downsized before it loops back into fullscreen.

How can I simply run the video in fullscreen and looping without this occurring?
Sounds like you need to run the whole of PI Presents in fullscreen mode without screen blanking, look at Sections 5.5 and 5.6 of the manual.

heidiangove

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:43 am

Hi Ken,

The instructions contained in the manual in section 5.4 and 5.5 worked fine. Thank you.

What I'm actually after is for the video to run in a seamless loop. There seems to be a 25 second delay between the loop. any clues as to how to avoid this?

KenT

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:32 am

heidiangove wrote:Hi Ken,

The instructions contained in the manual in section 5.4 and 5.5 worked fine. Thank you.

What I'm actually after is for the video to run in a seamless loop. There seems to be a 25 second delay between the loop. any clues as to how to avoid this?
Section 10.1.2 of the manual says to set repeat interval to 0. There will a small gap. If you want seamless looping then you need to search the forum and omxplayer github.

KenT

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Tumerboy wrote:So, thanks to your help, I've gotten a video to play, pause, and loop.
I've got a photo slideshow that loops through some images, and can be paused.

My next attempt was to make a multimedia presentation.

Here's how I envisioned it in my head:
Presentation starts on an image.
Pressing next plays a short animation.
Animation completes, presentation pauses on a still image of the last frame of the animation.
wash/rinse/repeat (through several animation/still image sets, then loop to the start).

My attempt didn't work out very well With pauses, I have it start on the image, pressing next (or waiting for the duration to lapse) dumps me at the black screen saying "Waiting. To show next slide press 'Next'"
Predictably, pressing next plays the video.
But then I'm dumped at a black screen again.

I have a feeling this is the same as our previous discussion about being able to use an image in place of the "Waiting." message, but wanted to check and see if I was doing something obviously idiotic.

Thanks again for all the help. This is just a bonus if I can get something working, not as critical as the other two.
I think you will need to set the mediashow progress to auto instead of manual and the duration of each image to 0. That way the images will stay on the screen until you press next and you will not get the messages. Pi Presents cannot do anything about displaying a still image of the last screen of the video.

Tumerboy

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:43 pm

OK, I'll try that.
I have separate images of the last frame of the video already.

So it would be Image>Video>Image>Video>Image, etc
Just want it to pause on each image, and trying to make the transitions between each as seamless as I can.

Tumerboy

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:25 am

Thanks for the help Ken, that did what I was looking for. Only problem is the noticeable black pause between image/video and video/image. Though I don't think there's much that can be done about that?

blown

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 am

Hello Ken! I have recently install Pi presents and I try to run the example with sarename.gif name in a hdmi tv I can see the video but I can´t see the text and picture. In PC I can see picture and text and i listen the audio of the video but i can see it (in my pc I don´t have hdmi)

KenT

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:53 am

blown wrote:Hello Ken! I have recently install Pi presents and I try to run the example with sarename.gif name

1. in a hdmi tv I can see the video but I can´t see the text and picture.

2. In PC I can see picture and text and i listen the audio of the video but i can see it (in my pc I don´t have hdmi)
Basically Pi Presents will not work over VNC. You need to start it and view it from the Pi either from the desktop or by autostart. You cannot even SSH in to start it. Nothing I can do about this.

1. I assume that the HDMI Tv is a secondary display but you have used VNC to run Pi Presents. You see the video because it does not use X windows but is blatted directly to the screen. You do not see anything else because the remaining output of PI Presents is sent via X to VNC

2.The video player in Pi presents will not work over VNC as omxplayer does not use X windows. Interesting that you can hear the video's sound though.

blown

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Ken, thank you for your answer.

I have a tv with hdmi conected to raspberry and this raspberry conected to ethernet in a room, I try to use via vnc the raspberry with my pc in another room. I understand that i have to use Pi Presents directly with a usb keyboard connected to the raspberry, doesn´t it ?

KenT

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:25 pm

blown wrote:Hi Ken, thank you for your answer.

I have a tv with hdmi conected to raspberry and this raspberry conected to ethernet in a room, I try to use via vnc the raspberry with my pc in another room. I understand that i have to use Pi Presents directly with a usb keyboard connected to the raspberry, doesn´t it ?
Yes that is correct

munklefish

Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Pie Presents!!!! Who wouldnt want Pie Presents! Yum!
http://www.codeclinic.de

CDBRINKM

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Ken,

Awesome program and coding, right now I'm trying to find out if it's possible to play and pause a video with a PIR sensor, since PiPresents came up on google I thought I'd ask. I looked through the code and saw the button states and am asking if it's possible to change the play/pause from the keyboard space bar or "p" to a PIR sensor?

Thanks!

KenT

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:10 pm

CDBRINKM wrote:Hi Ken,

Awesome program and coding, right now I'm trying to find out if it's possible to play and pause a video with a PIR sensor, since PiPresents came up on google I thought I'd ask. I looked through the code and saw the button states and am asking if it's possible to change the play/pause from the keyboard space bar or "p" to a PIR sensor?

Thanks!
It is possible to trigger the start of a video from a PIR, it wil then play to its end and wait for another trigger. It is set up to use the sort of PIR from a burglar alarm with a switch contact. You could also toggle the pause using a PIR but I wonder whether there would be too many false alarms. I have not actually tried using a PIR, If you try it tell us how it works.

munklefish

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Ive just installed PiPresents on a raspi that's been packed a way for a while. I tried accessing some web based apps already installed on the box, but instead of getting them Im getting a page from thttpd, which appears to be a web server. Is this installed as part of the Pi Present installation?

If so, is there anyway to just use the existing NGINX installation I already have, thus allowing me to keep my old services running in tandem?

Thanks.
http://www.codeclinic.de

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”