mrjoli021

Stream HDMI input

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:26 pm

I am looking for a way to watch my TV remotely. I would like to connect a raspberry pi to my TV as input and then stream the output. What hardware would I need to be able to do this?

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Stream HDMI input

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:51 am

How do you want to connect your TV to the RPI? Which output is availabe from your TV? How do you receive your input signal atm (i.e. via Satellite?)
In case of DVD-T2 television you can use the RPI TV-HAT - https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-tv-hat/

Where do you live?

mrjoli021

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 pm

I live in the US. My TV currently is connected to my TV provider. I travel a lot. I would like to watch not just local channels or my provider's TV stuff, but my recorded shows/movies as well. So I would like to build a pi that I can plug my Providers box to when I leave and watch my TV remotely. I will worry about the software part later. I am interested in figuring out what hardware I would need in order to accomplish this? The input is HDMI.

DarrenHill

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:42 am

So you're trying to put the Pi in between the output from your TV provider (presumably some box or other) and your TV, to act as a re-broadcaster of the HDMI output provided by the provider?

The Pi basically cannot use HDMI as input, only as output (to the TV).

Have a look at the links below (and the further links in them) for some background on people who have tried it in the past:

https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/raspberry ... 4-03-2014/
viewtopic.php?t=240268

Some of the USB options may work on a PC, but it is questionable whether a Pi could support them (it would certainly need a Pi4, and even that would be a long-shot I would say).

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:29 am

The link to a 2014 blog post is seriously out of date - the Pi2 hadn't even been launched then.

Yes there are HDMI to CSI bridge boards available which can do 1080p50 on all Pis, although that is stretching the video encoder which is specced for 1080p30. Numerous threads on here, including a sticky at the top of this subforum.

There are HDMI to USB dongles available. They generally work OK on Pi4, but earlier Pis have a weaker USB interface. Typically they encode to MJPEG which may compromise quality as you'll need to reencode if you're wanting to stream (MJPEG is very inefficient).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”