aroman_ro

Display rotation with vc4 kms

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Is there any method of rotating the display at the vc4 kms level?

Something like we had for the firmware driver, with a rotation setting in config.txt?

I know it can be done by xorg, but that's done in xorg modesetting and that has a bug with vsync.
Here is a bug report: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/issues/996

I would like to try rotating the display directly with the lower level kernel driver. Is that possible?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Display rotation with vc4 kms

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:22 pm

When using FKMS you need to use the xrandr settings. The config.txt entries don't play nicely with FKMS
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

aroman_ro

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Exactly what I was afraid of... I'm going to look over the sources to see if there is a relatively easy way before giving up, though.
Otherwise we have to go with wayland or we'll have to compile that dev branch that fixes (hopefully) the issue.

6by9

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:16 pm

If writing your own code then you do have the option of the writeback connector which wraps the transposer hardware block. AIUI Android's SurfaceFlinger is the main client that uses it currently. It's probably not something that can be integrated into Xorg easily though.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

aroman_ro

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:57 am

Unfortunately, we need to allow people using chrome and so on, not only our own application.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”