chrisbobmms

Scripted Jukebox

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:19 am

I would like to use my Pi to (continuously) play back audio from a usb drive. I'd be happy to use one of the various players out there but I have a specific need:
I would like to randomly playback a song, then fade out after a fixed amount of time (preferably with a fixed fade out length) before starting the next random song. I don't mind doing some scripting to do it, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel and frankly, it would be nice to just add this to an existing player (either local or network controlled.)

Any leads, ideas or suggestions?

fruitbox

Re: Scripted Jukebox

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 pm

chrisbobmms wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:19 am
I would like to use my Pi to (continuously) play back audio from a usb drive. I'd be happy to use one of the various players out there but I have a specific need:
I would like to randomly playback a song, then fade out after a fixed amount of time (preferably with a fixed fade out length) before starting the next random song. I don't mind doing some scripting to do it, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel and frankly, it would be nice to just add this to an existing player (either local or network controlled.)

Any leads, ideas or suggestions?
Hi

I could add this feature to fruitbox, if you want to use that?

Cheers
Mike

chrisbobmms

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:42 am

I'll give fruitbox a try! Yes, it would be a fantastic addition. Sorry for the delayed response, it seems that my response notification didn't reach me.
I haven't done much c++ , but I've done a fair amount with various scripting languages. If you'd like more feedback, I'd be happy to provide it.

Chris

fruitbox

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 am

chrisbobmms wrote:
I'll give fruitbox a try! Yes, it would be a fantastic addition. Sorry for the delayed response, it seems that my response notification didn't reach me.
I haven't done much c++ , but I've done a fair amount with various scripting languages. If you'd like more feedback, I'd be happy to provide it.

Chris
Hi Chris

fruitbox already has a random play feature, but the only thing you can currently tweak is the time it waits between playing songs (it's the attract mode).

I could add the following parameters whose values you could modify through the skin text files (no programming knowledge required)...

• fade in time
  • fade out time
  • entry time
  • duration
...the entry time is the point in the song it starts playing, and the duration is obviously how long it plays for before fading out.

How does that sound?

Cheers
Mike

chrisbobmms

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:13 am

I think that sounds perfect. I'm going to install it tomorrow to get a feel for it the software as is.

chrisbobmms

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:02 am

Mike,

Any progress on your modifications? I think I need to do a little customization of one of the skins, but I think it will work well with the additional control you suggested!

Chris
fruitbox wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 am
chrisbobmms wrote:

Chris
Hi Chris

fruitbox already has a random play feature, but the only thing you can currently tweak is the time it waits between playing songs (it's the attract mode).

I could add the following parameters whose values you could modify through the skin text files (no programming knowledge required)...

• fade in time
  • fade out time
  • entry time
  • duration
...the entry time is the point in the song it starts playing, and the duration is obviously how long it plays for before fading out.

How does that sound?

Cheers
Mike

fruitbox

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Chris

The latest release is still pending, it won't be available yet for a few weeks I'm afraid, as there's quite a few new features and I'm struggling to find enough time to put into it right now.

Cheers,
Mike

chrisbobmms

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:55 am

Thanks for the update! If you need beta test or pre-release help, feel free to contact me

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”