MikeHurley

Chromium+Apache+Omxplayer+H264 Video

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Is it possible to playback H264 video direct in a webpage under Apache and Chromium invoking omxplayer ?

Im trying to keep the installed packages small on my PI, and trying to keep the setup as straightforward as possible for my kids (and me) so
they can grasp basic concepts.

For now they have installed their Apache server and doing some basic html5, and are also working their way thru the MagPi Camera module guide and using basic GPIO to manage the camera.
At this point they want to marry this and add their h264 videos to their webpage.

Im not concerned with security issues, this is all localhost server.
This isnt LIVE STREAMING, its just playback .
Im not concerned with video quality either.

There seems to be a few options (based on goggling the interweb) -
1) Run a conversion from h264 to mp4 allowing direct playback in Apache and Chromium ?
or
2) Install a different browser that supports omxplayer (kweb3 or epihany seem to be the most recommended)?

So my orig question - Is it possible to playback H264 video direct in a webpage under Apache and Chromium invoking omxplayer ?
And if not what would be the easiest path to playback the original video in a webpage on the RPi assuming default pgms are installed.

There seems to be a number of ways to skin that cat, some posts I read are quite old so I wonder if maybe support has changed.

thanks in advance, and happy new year to everyone.
Mike

gkreidl

Re: Chromium+Apache+Omxplayer+H264 Video

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Yes, it can be done with tools from my kweb suite. I call it "simulated web video". It looks like the video is playing inside a web page, while in fact it's an overlay created by omxplayer(GUI).

You'll find more details in the developers chapter of my omxplayerGUI manual.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

MikeHurley

Re: Chromium+Apache+Omxplayer+H264 Video

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:34 pm

Thank you.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”