Gerrelt

Re: [Tutorial] Squeezelite up and running on Raspbian

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 am

Hmm... apparently it is not a network related problem, as you can still putty into it.
Does ps -A | grep squee still shows the squeezelite process when the music stops?
Or did it really crash?

You could try setting it to the onboard audio output to test if it is the HiFi Berry sound card.
Allthough the onboard audio output isn't very reliable... so it might not be a good test.

You don't have a USB souncard laying around?
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

staun

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 pm

This is just more than amazing.
I'm working on an old Beolit Radio from Bang & Olufsen and wanted to reuse the buttons and your updated script just saved my day.

I can now push the old mechanic buttons and change radio channel. There is just one little thing as you describe your self.

/etc/init.d/squeezelite play_fav <Part of favorite name> [volume]

What if there is a space in the favorite name? I have 10-15 stations from Calm Radio <name> - I tried to use "Calm Radio - Lounge" - but that does not work. It just go for the first one in favorites

Any idea/ solution on stations/ favories with space in the name?

Gerrelt

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Use "%20" instead of a space, like this:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/squeezelite play_fav "Calm%20Radio%20-%20Lounge" 30
The squeezebox command I use to list the favorites uses the %20 as an escape for the space in the output.
I will add it to the function comment.

staun

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Again - you are AMAZING!

this just keep getting better and better. Thank you very much for your time and your script.

Gerrelt

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:22 am

Hi Staun,

Good to hear it is working!

Your project sounds interesting, that's something I thought about doing to my eighties portable radio. The buttons of the old cassette player would be ideal for changing the channel.
If you got pictures, feel free to share them.

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

mfraser

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 am

I've now tried installing Squeezelite on a B+, but now I'm getting
kernel: [ 8452.312120] bcm2835_audio_set_ctls:558 Controls set for stream 0
every few minutes in syslogs.

Gerrelt

Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Mfraser,

But is does work?
The error message doesn't ring a bell.
Did you do an firmware update? The B+ model needs the latest firmware.
If you didn't, execute this:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update
Greetings,
Gerrelt.

mfraser

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I had done an update before, but I did another one anyway, but is still doing it. Need to check to see if Squeezelite is the cause or is something else doing it, haven't got much else running on it anyway.

Gerrelt

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Is squeezelite working OK? Or do you "hear" the error messages?

rapdancin

Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:11 am

hi!

i am totally new to all of this, but after a lot of research this seems to be a pretty alright place to ask this without starting a new thread (on multiple forums).

i want to be able to play music on my computer (windows 8), which is connected to an amp and speakers. i want to synchronize that music with an amp+a set of speakers in a different room. my music library is on network storage, but i'd also like to play soundcloud or possibly other internet streams.

from what i've read, a good way to do this is to get a raspberry pi and hifiberry. i can connect the hifi berry to the amp in the other room, and put squeezelite on the raspberry pi. i have a few questions:

- i've never used lms before. can i just point it to a folder on my network storage and say 'music is here!' and that music will be available to stream? if i play a song in lms through my computer, will i hear the song through the amp/speakers connected to it? or do i need to install some software that makes lms see my computer as a client?

- both the rpi and computer will be on wifi. should i expect syncing issues?

- do i need a monitor at any point (going from fresh rpi b+ to working system)? reading through the tutorial it seems like no.

thanks much! i'm looking forward to having whole-apartment audio!!

Gerrelt

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi Rapdancin,
rapdancin wrote: - i've never used lms before. can i just point it to a folder on my network storage and say 'music is here!' and that music will be available to stream?
Yes. When you install LMS, during setup, you will be guided by a wizard (a couple of forms linked to each other, not a person with a pointy hat and a wand :D ). In one of the steps you will be asked to choose a folder where you music is.
rapdancin wrote: if i play a song in lms through my computer, will i hear the song through the amp/speakers connected to it? or do i need to install some software that makes lms see my computer as a client?
No, you will not hear the song. Yes, you will need to install client software, a software version of a squeezebox player.
Squeezelite has a windows version, see: http://squeezelite-downloads.googlecode ... te-win.zip
More info:
https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/
rapdancin wrote: - both the rpi and computer will be on wifi. should i expect syncing issues?
No, syncing should work. But, wifi is less reliable then a wired network connection. If you plan to runing the raspberry 24/7, I would strongly recommend hard-wiring it.
rapdancin wrote: - do i need a monitor at any point (going from fresh rpi b+ to working system)? reading through the tutorial it seems like no.
If you follow my tutorial: No, it's completely headless ( no pun intended.. ;) ).

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

rapdancin

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:28 pm

thank you so much! after reading through your tutorials some more, i think i'm going to try out picoreplayer on the living room raspberry, and squeezelite on my laptop.

you are a wonderful resource!

foxpi

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:27 am

Has anyone added a RTC to their picorePlayer? I have been able to set it up on raspbian but am getting stuck on picore. I am not a regular tinycore user...
Thanks.

Gerrelt

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 am

Hi foxpi,

On my piCore (TinyCore) raspberries, the time and date is set after startup. Doesn't yours do that?

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

foxpi

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:21 am

Gerrelt wrote: On my piCore (TinyCore) raspberries, the time and date is set after startup. Doesn't yours do that?
Yes , if it is connected to the internet. I am also using it for other purposes and it is important to me that it have the right time. Currently raspberry pi uses the swclock which gets set every time it reboots. Having a hwclock would keep the time even over a reboot.

Thanks.

foxpi

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:27 am

Gerrelt wrote:Ah, I get it, I think you need something like this: ...
Yeah. I have this actually. The problem is I dont know how to do the software part in (tiny/micro/pi)CoreLinux...
Thanks.

ps I decided it might be better to ask in tinycorelinux forum here.

Gerrelt

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:28 pm

foxpi wrote: ps I decided it might be better to ask in tinycorelinux forum here.
Wise move! :)

PatrickLuimême

Squeezelite player not recognized by Mysqueezebox.com

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi

be indulgent with my simplified english

The last year, I installed LMS & squeezelite according to your instructions & It worked.
I had an account mysqueeezebox.com and a player recognized.
All was nice. I managed to listen music from differents radios from different providers

I stopped to use the gadget during 1 year, I lost my Mysqueezebox password, I re-init it
I tried recently to re-use the LMS+squeeselite.

I did not managed to use it
I had now a problem : the web site mysqueezbox.com does not recognize anymore my player.
My android LMS controller detects the player, but I do not have any features
I still have the same password web site side and LMS controller side.

what can be broken ? How can I reinit the installation in order to re associate web site and player ? I there a processus to identify the step to re-do ?

thanks for your help, or your advice

skills : 20 years ago, I'm used to practive the bourne & korn shell with SUN Solaris

Patrick M., France

Gerrelt

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi Patrick,

You don't have to use a mysqueezebox.com account with your LMS.
I am using LMS without an account.
Could you search through the options in the LMS settings page for an option to remove the account?

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

Michielo

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi Gerrelt,
Would you by any chance have an update on the Raspbmc Gotham release giving crackled sound in squeezelite.
As you suggested, I reduced the USB speed to 1, which solves the sound issue. Unfortunately, it also caps the speed of the network port so I can no longer watch 720p movies (they play but constantly stutter indicating a "buffer under run"). I can go back to Frodo, but was hoping there might be another solution or workaround.
Thanks again.
Michielo

Gerrelt

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Michielo,

Instead of reducing the USB speed, you could play around with the buffer settings in the squeezelite script.
Value "80:4" seems to be a populair choice.

Please report back the results, I don't like the reduced USB speed either. Every automatic RaspBMC update, I have to do the setting again.. :x

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

Michielo

Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi Gerrelt,
Will try that and report back.
Regards,
michielo

PatrickLuimême

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi Gerrelt

I remembered that there was a web server provided with LMS ( @ip via the port 9000 )
I launched it & I configured my new password inside with the same value than the password of my account Mysqueezebox.com
so now
- my acccount Mysqueezebox.com sees my player
- my LMS controller on my android phone sees my player
from my controller, I manage now to subscribe to a given radio channel ( tunein, radionomy, ... ) and to listen the radio I want.
from my view, it is solved.

I have a new question for you.

By reading the abstract of yours tutorials on your web site, I saw you were using an USB sound card from Logilink, instead of the sound card provided by the motherboard.
Currently, when I listen a streamed radio, The sound is not perfectly continuous, almost my bandwidth is good.
if I plug your external sound card on the USB port, does I have enough power to operate the RPI modified or do I have to use an USB hub ?

Thanks for your answer

Patrick, France

AntonZdz

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi Gerrelt

Firstly thanks for all the work you have put into this. Its an awesome use of the RPi.

I am wanting to build my own DIY version of a SONOS style system. My main objectives are to be able to play different music in different zones (different rooms in the house) from a number of sources (Mainly Spotify and a central music share (from my HTPC)). I would like to ideally be able to controll all devices from one control (as can be done in SONOS). Your project being the closest fit to my goals that I can find, I wanted to clarify some points (appologies if these have been asked already) before I begin working on my own system. With your setup can one controller (PC in control of the Squeeze box software, or an iOS Remote), control multiple players that are playing different music. An example scenario below.

RPi 1 - Location: Living Room - Song: Song A - Source: Spotify
RPi 2 - Location: Kitchen - Song: Song B - Source: HTPC
RPi 3 - Location: Bedroom 1 - Song: Song C - Souce: HTPC

All controlled by an iPad, or the HTPC or my Mac Mini?

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”