So I recently got a Tesla Model 3 and it doesn't have CarPlay, so I was of thinking of trying to use the built in web browser as an airplay display for my iphone. My plan is thus:
- Configure the pi as a Wifi Access point and connect the car to the network
- Using shairpoint-sync, mirror my iPhone to the Pi
- Using either a command-line script or a php or python web page, periodically take screen caps from shairpoint-sync
- Setup a web server that will send out a page containing the screenshots, updating a few times a second (for obvious reasons, any kind of HTML video is disabled in the car's web browser (since you can access the browser while driving, Tesla doesn't want a driver bringing up YouTube on it while in Autopilot "encourage" bad behavior), but you can easily setup a page that makes an ajax call to the server to update the image a few times a second. As I'm not planning on using this for video, that is fine).
- Using the car's built-in browser, navigate to the web site running on the pi to display the mirrored iphone screen.