innocent_bystander

[UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Fellow Raspinauts and Kodifiles...

Humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, octopoids, walking treeoids and super-intelligent shades of the color blue...

I present to you...

Kodi 18.4 Leia built specifically for RPi 4

with support for hardware decoding of HEVC (h.265) files.

:o :( :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :twisted:

Download:

https://gofile.io/?c=IMacTc

Install:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ./kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb

Gotchas/things of note:

1. Set your gpu_mem to 256 or higher in config.txt (ie, gpu_mem=256).
  2. Enable fkms driver in config.txt (ie, dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d).
  3. This version of Kodi requires a text terminal to be active and there are several ways of launching it:
    1. Simply select Kodi application in the Raspbian menu.
    2. Open a terminal in Raspbian and enter kodi-rpi4.
    3. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or any of the F1-F6 keys) to switch to a text terminal, log in as needed and enter kodi.
All credit goes to @popcornmix for his hard work in making it possible. Please buy him a coffee (even though he doesn't want any :P), he really deserved it.

And of course if you feel so inclined, you can buy me one as well for my small effort in making it easily available
as a .deb package that anyone with a brain cell or two can install on their RPi 4s. https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

Share and enjoy.
Last edited by innocent_bystander on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:40 am, edited 9 times in total.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

amilino

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Wow, awesome.

Can you please elaborate a bit "text termina" to launch it?

Zerwin

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:56 pm

Wow thanks, you don't know how much I love you for this right now. Currently indexing my library and then I'm gonna test some h265 10bit files. Do you know if the addons are working or should I rather avoid using them until a more "offical" and stable release comes out ?

Systematic

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Should we uninstall the default package first? Or will the package manager know how to update?

What about for when the official release comes around? Should we uninstall this first?

Thanks a bunch!

innocent_bystander

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:01 pm

amilino wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm
Wow, awesome.

Can you please elaborate a bit "text termina" to launch it?
@amilino press Ctrl + Alt + F1 (or any of the F1-F6 keys). That will show you a text terminal. Log in as needed. Enter "kodi". Enjoy. :)

When you exit kodi, press Ctrl + Alt + F7 to get back to Raspbian GUI.

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

innocent_bystander

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Zerwin wrote:
Wow thanks, you don't know how much I love you for this right now. Currently indexing my library and then I'm gonna test some h265 10bit files. Do you know if the addons are working or should I rather avoid using them until a more "offical" and stable release comes out ?
@Zerwin I haven't tried, but I believe most of the addons should work fine.

NB: AFAIK RPi4 only outputs 8-bit even at 4K resolutions for now. 10-bit (HDR) support will be coming in Kodi 19. It will require newer Linux kernel.

Zerwin

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Zerwin wrote: ↑
@Zerwin I haven't tried, but I believe most of the addons should work fine.

NB: AFAIK RPi4 only outputs 8-bit even at 4K resolutions for now. 10-bit (HDR) support will be coming in Kodi 19. It will require newer Linux kernel.
Okay, from a quick test, h264 and h265 work both completely fine and without (atleast for me) noticable stutters. Once I added 10-bit to the mix the video still played, but at about half the normal speed (sound played fine though, so it just kinda desynched). Still for a "hacky" version it works really well, and 10-bit not being supported isn't a big problem for me.

Addons seemed mostly fine, I installed TVDB addon and while it failed the first time it worked fine the 2nd time (didn't change anything, just tried again).

Overall really thanks for making it work, now I can finally use the new pi as a media center.
Over the next days I will probably try some different things like games addon, controller support etc, and if I don't forget I will report back on how it goes.

amilino

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Is it possible to restore entire kodi settings from RPi3 under the ".kodi" folder? Will it work or do I need to install all addons again and adjust settings?

innocent_bystander

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Systematic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:59 pm
Should we uninstall the default package first? Or will the package manager know how to update?

What about for when the official release comes around? Should we uninstall this first?

Thanks a bunch!
@Systematic this package will automatically uninstall the official version.

If/when the official release of Kodi 18 comes out, we will have to see.

innocent_bystander

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm

amilino wrote:
Is it possible to restore entire kodi settings from RPi3 under the ".kodi" folder? Will it work or do I need to install all addons again and adjust settings?
@amilino I am no Kodi expert, but as far as I know it will automatically upgrade your existing databases and addons in the .kodi folder.

Back up your .kodi folder and give it shot. The worst the will happen -- it won't work... or maybe your shiny new RPi4 will blow up and set your house on fire... ;)

innocent_bystander

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Zerwin wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:33 pm
Okay, from a quick test, h264 and h265 work both completely fine and without (atleast for me) noticable stutters. Once I added 10-bit to the mix the video still played, but at about half the normal speed (sound played fine though, so it just kinda desynched). Still for a "hacky" version it works really well, and 10-bit not being supported isn't a big problem for me.

Addons seemed mostly fine, I installed TVDB addon and while it failed the first time it worked fine the 2nd time (didn't change anything, just tried again).

Overall really thanks for making it work, now I can finally use the new pi as a media center.
Over the next days I will probably try some different things like games addon, controller support etc, and if I don't forget I will report back on how it goes.
@Zerwin you betcha. Thank you for testing. :)

amilino

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:55 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm
amilino wrote:
@amilino I am no Kodi expert, but as far as I know it will automatically upgrade your existing databases and addons in the .kodi folder.

Back up your .kodi folder and give it shot. The worst the will happen -- it won't work... or maybe your shiny new RPi4 will blow up and set your house on fire... ;)
Hahah, that is the good one.

I usually don't do anything other then copy paste of my "old" .kodi folder, but people here started to talk about addons on RPi4 so was a bit confused. Tnx anyway for a quick reply, will try it out for sure.

amilino

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:20 pm

To avoid starting text terminal manually you can use:

sudo chvt 1; kodi
In my case I was not asked to log in. ;)

Zerwin

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 am

After playing a bit more around with it I can say it is this close to perfect.

What I noticed is that CEC doesn't appear to work, so my remote controll fell away for controlling it. I thought no biggie, I just pick my controller like I did on my debian machine and controll it via key mapping (which I did via steam).
Only then I noticed that on the raspberry pi, steam isn't available (the full blown app, not just the link) and the steam addon doesn't work (probably cause there is no X-Session or similar going on). So several hours later I figured out that Kodi doesn't support SDL, making controller work nativly impossible.
And after some more hours I figured out that the only "good" controller mapper I could find that worked required ... an X-Session (QJoyPad was it called).
So for now I just have to live with controlling kodi via keyboard and mouse (or maybe also via phone, have to test that later), but still thanks for even making it possible that I can do that again. And if somehow someone can manage to make Kodi start from a terminal in an ongoing X-Session, please tell me (or if someone manages to fix the CEC module I could live with that too).

innocent_bystander

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:04 am

amilino wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:20 pm
To avoid starting text terminal manually you can use:

sudo chvt 1; kodi
In my case I was not asked to log in. ;)
@amilino awesome. :D I am actually working on a script to automate that. Will post I have a new revision.

innocent_bystander

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:07 am

Zerwin wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 am
After playing a bit more around with it I can say it is this close to perfect.

What I noticed is that CEC doesn't appear to work, so my remote controll fell away for controlling it. I thought no biggie, I just pick my controller like I did on my debian machine and controll it via key mapping (which I did via steam).
Only then I noticed that on the raspberry pi, steam isn't available (the full blown app, not just the link) and the steam addon doesn't work (probably cause there is no X-Session or similar going on). So several hours later I figured out that Kodi doesn't support SDL, making controller work nativly impossible.
And after some more hours I figured out that the only "good" controller mapper I could find that worked required ... an X-Session (QJoyPad was it called).
So for now I just have to live with controlling kodi via keyboard and mouse (or maybe also via phone, have to test that later), but still thanks for even making it possible that I can do that again. And if somehow someone can manage to make Kodi start from a terminal in an ongoing X-Session, please tell me (or if someone manages to fix the CEC module I could live with that too).

@Zerwin in re CEC control (lack of), that's strange cuz it's compiled with CEC support. Did your earlier version work on RPi 4?

Systematic

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 am

Works great! Thank you so much for this fix, now I don't have to hook up my Pi 2 back up.

If I look very closely, I can still notice a very minor stutter and tear. But it's nothing like it used to be. Probably not even noticeable if you're not looking for it. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix it though?

innocent_bystander

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:09 am

Systematic wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 am
Works great! Thank you so much for this fix, now I don't have to hook up my Pi 2 back up.

If I look very closely, I can still notice a very minor stutter and tear. But it's nothing like it used to be. Probably not even noticeable if you're not looking for it. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix it though?
No prob. Sorry, can't help you with the stutter and tear problem. I am not a Kodi developer -- just an innocent bystander. :?

amilino

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am

I changed my resolution on Raspbian and Kodi to 1920x1080, 60.00Hz. That is the highest resolution with 60Hz (on my TV) that is working fine with no stutter and tear problems.

amilino

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:59 am

Regarding CEC, it is working fine in my case, but I can see that I have libcec4 installed from pipplware stretch repository. Basically, I had both repos in my source list before installing deb package version from the first post.

deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/buster/main/binary /
deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/stretch/main/binary /
I haven't installed anything explicitly except in addition

kodi-pvr-iptvsimple

amilino

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:36 pm

I reinstalled entire kodi and removed stretch source from pipplware and used only buster one. It all works great, also CEC and everything.

Regarding little program for automation of launching kodi, it makes kodi indeed slow.

innocent_bystander

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:55 pm

amilino wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:36 pm
I reinstalled entire kodi and removed stretch source from pipplware and used only buster one. It all works great, also CEC and everything.

Regarding little program for automation of launching kodi, it makes kodi indeed slow.

@amilino thanks for testing. I've come with a ghetto but working solution: (1) start shell on tty8, (2) switch to it, (3) launch Kodi, (4) switch back.

You can download updated .deb package from the first post.

amilino

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Hm, I just downloaded new deb file, upgraded and I still get same message about local text terminal when I type kodi in terminal.

innocent_bystander

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:18 pm

amilino wrote:
Hm, I just downloaded new deb file, upgraded and I still get same message about local text terminal when I type kodi in terminal.

@amilino you can now select Kodi from the menu. Or if you want to do it from the terminal, enter kodi-rpi4. See the first post for more details (I've just updated it) and make sure you've downloaded version 18.3-5.

amilino

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:24 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:18 pm
amilino wrote:

@amilino you can now select Kodi from the menu. Or if you want to do it from the terminal, enter kodi-rpi4. See the first post for more details (I've just updated it) and make sure you've downloaded version 18.3-5.
Cool, that was fast. Thank you very much!

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”