AliKhazaee

Raspberry As Audio Output Device

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello, i'm new with Raspberry and raspberry community

I want to use Raspberry Pi 4 as music player output device in my car with a Pioneer GM-D9601 amplifier

There are few question:

1. Is it possible use Raspberry GPIO as audio multiple channels output ?
Note: Split channels like bass channel from vocal channel to increase the quality of sounds.

2. Could Raspberry Pi 4 handle sounds at highest quality level ?

3. Can i connect Raspberry audio output pins to an amplifier ?

Note: What i want is the highest quality

LTolledo

Re: Raspberry As Audio Output Device

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:56 am

get a DAC HAT for the RPi (there are many in the wild, a few "brute force" web search will give you quite some hits!)

if you dont like the idea of a DAC HAT then you're on your own....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:23 am

AliKhazaee wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:39 pm
1. Is it possible use Raspberry GPIO as audio multiple channels output ?
Note: Split channels like bass channel from vocal channel to increase the quality of sounds.

2. Could Raspberry Pi 4 handle sounds at highest quality level ?

3. Can i connect Raspberry audio output pins to an amplifier ?

Note: What i want is the highest quality
1. That's how the stereo analog audio works
2. The analog audio is as good as it's going to get without additional hardware (it's usable, it's not audiophile quality)
3. The analog audio is line level, so you have to connect it to an amp.

To get hifi audio get an IQAudio HAT.
http://iqaudio.co.uk/

[Note: I'm not affiliated to IQAudio in any way, I just think their kit is the best of breed.]
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Yukon Cornelius

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:32 am

I started reading this thread and a couple of questions crossed my mind straight away ,
then I scrolled down and they were answered .....

@DougieLawson .... thank you sir !
precise info and a good link .... that looks like a "must try" bit of kit to me .

Whilst on the subject , has anyone used a USB dongle called Dragonfly , from Audioquest ?
https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red
It's aimed mainly at headphone users who want music on-the-go ,
but with the maximum possible audiophile quality .

I've been a hifi nut since my teens
( strictly "old school" .... analogue everything , classic Brit components etc. )
but with the constant improvements in digital audio quality , and the sheer practically
of having a big music collection on a tiny package , I'm coming to have faith :)

That Dragonfly DAC is a bit expensive to buy if it's just to check out the quality ,
so I thought I'd ask here , in case anyone has some hands-on experience
..... or better still , " ears-on" experience .... :)

There was a very good thread over on Linux Mint forum a while back , about getting
the best possible sound from Linux systems .
I can probably find the link again if anyone wants to read it .

Londonclive

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:18 am

I have a dragonfly red connected to my raspberry pi 3b+. I'm using volumio os and I have a linear PSU from audiophonics. It sounds amazing it beats my old but good cd player hands down so yes I fully recommend it. I have also try the iqaudio DAC and I wasn't impressed. All in all my pi system costs about £250 dragonfly red and PSU. Don't waste your money on the jitterbug I couldn't hear any difference.
Ps the dragonfly red is connected to my Sony amplifier.

Yukon Cornelius

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:51 am

Londonclive wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:18 am
I have a dragonfly red connected to my raspberry pi 3b+. I'm using volumio os and I have a linear PSU from audiophonics. It sounds amazing it beats my old but good cd player hands down so yes I fully recommend it. I have also try the iqaudio DAC and I wasn't impressed. All in all my pi system costs about £250 dragonfly red and PSU. Don't waste your money on the jitterbug I couldn't hear any difference.
Ps the dragonfly red is connected to my Sony amplifier.

Thanks for the info , I hadn't come across Volumio before .

So the Pi isn't doing any signal processing ( eg. DAC ) , just running the Volumio OS
to make it function as a dedicated music server ?

[ Jitterbug appears to be simply a passive filter system ]

It's still the Dragonfly DAC that interests me and I wonder if the Pi-DAC unit from iqaudio
might turn out to be disappointing , if audiophile quality is the goal .

The budget for indulging in music related gadgets is sadly limited these days ..... :)

I found the link that I mentioned earlier .... I thought it was a good read :-
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=253225

-

Londonclive

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:02 pm

I did test the dragonfly black first and it was nice but the red is just that little bit better. The dragonfly red works on kodi as well and sounds great. But I like the radio on volumio. I've also used the df red on my mini Mac but I prefer the raspberry pi weird because the Mac should be better. In answer to your question volumio is just the os and the DAC does most of the sound work. Ps my stereo is ok £500 Sony av receiver q acoustics concept 40 at the front audioquest cables. I've switched between hdmi out (using Sony receiver built-in DAC) from raspberry pi and usb out to dragonfly red and it's night and day difference. The dragonfly sounds great. Audioquest have just announced a new dragonfly cobalt.

AliKhazaee

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:59 pm

I still didn't get my answer. Please don't go too deep, I will ask my question in another way

I want use raspberry pi 4 for processing mp3 sounds, then output it as 320K bitrate ( highest quality ) from AUX or GPIO or USB or HDMI or etc really doesn't matter, My goal is output quality

So can i use Raspberry for my goal ?

LTolledo

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:22 pm

definitely you will need an RPi DAC HAT for your audio output requirements

the link provided by DougieLawson is one good source (own some of those DACs in the link)

there are several others more.
Give us a shortlist of what you like and some of us might give some actual use-case info on those DACs
happy hunting!

Some people be like:

AliKhazaee

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:47 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:22 pm
definitely you will need an RPi DAC HAT for your audio output requirements

the link provided by DougieLawson is one good source (own some of those DACs in the link)

there are several others more.
Give us a shortlist of what you like and some of us might give some actual use-case info on those DACs
happy hunting!
Isn't it possible to connect RPi directly to a digital amplifier ?

Will that DAC HAT output sounds as 320K bitrate ?

I want use it as car stereo

LTolledo

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 am

AliKhazaee wrote: Isn't it possible to connect RPi directly to a digital amplifier ?
It is possible
the connection will be as follows:

RPi audio jack ---- cable with headphone plug on one end, 2 x RCA plug on other end --- digital amplifier audio-in RCA jack

or

RPi audio jack ---- cable with headphone plug on both ends, --- digital amplifier audio-in headphone jack

volume on RPi's on-board audio jack might be very low and audio not "not audiophile" quality as some say.
and may be susceptible to audio noise due to "ground loop" and/or power-line noise

I did tried connecting my "Party Animal Pi" to a car audio's AUX port and powered it using a cheapo 12v to 5v adapter plugged to the cigarette lighter socket.
sounded great! No audio noise were present (parked in garage, engine idling, AC ON)

The "Party Animal Pi" specs are:
Raspberry Pi Zero W (as you already know, this RPiZW has no on-board audio port)
with Pimoroni pHAT DAC
OS/app is Volumio in 32GB microSD (also contains music files in mp3 format)

Some people be like:

ghans

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:04 am

The Raspberry Pi can output audio easily over 3.5mm line-level jack and HDMI. If you want audiophile quality though, you should avoid the default analog output.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

AliKhazaee

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:59 am

ghans wrote:
The Raspberry Pi can output audio easily over 3.5mm line-level jack and HDMI. If you want audiophile quality though, you should avoid the default analog output.

ghans
What about separating audio channels like Right Sound - Left Sound - SubWoofer, That simple Jack socket will handle this ?

ghans

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:36 am

No.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

AliKhazaee

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Look, I want use RP 4 as audio player with highest quality not something that output sound, cause RP 4 has processor i believe RP 4 can do this job right ?

is it possible separate those channels to connect them into amplifier ?

it's does not matter if we GPIO or Jack 3.55 or USB or HDMI, what i want is QUALITY

epoch1970

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:34 pm

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

LTolledo

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 pm

AliKhazaee wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:50 pm
.....cause RP 4 has processor i believe RP 4 can do this job right ?
can you provide a link that clearly states this can be done in the RPi4B board itself?
look, we need some sort of evidence to convince us of what you think you believe...
no evidence?.... then you're just dreaming....
AliKhazaee wrote: is it possible separate those channels to connect them into amplifier ?

It is possible, but not on the RPi4B itself, you definitely need an interface unit to do that, like DAC HATs...
there are some USB sound dongles (even cheapo ones) that can also do that as well
but definitely you will need a high-end HiFi amp to get the separation and quality you want.

example of a DAC that might fit your "quality" requirement: (but might not fit your amp specified in your first post)
HifiBerry_Digi+.jpeg
HifiBerry_Digi+.jpeg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 2763 times

Some people be like:

AliKhazaee

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:51 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 pm
can you provide a link that clearly states this can be done in the RPi4B board itself?
look, we need some sort of evidence to convince us of what you think you believe...
no evidence?.... then you're just dreaming....
As far as i know there are 40 pins on RP 4 which can be used, So the operation system can be program to send data/signal to these pins

If yes then i would create an application in C++ that load mp3 files from sd card then do some magic with them ( encode/decode ) then send data to these pins, Then we will connect those pins to a digital amplifier, At this time we have multiple single channels so we don't need DAC HAT right ?

For example decode music then send low frequency data to pins 3, medium frequency to pins 4, etc this is real or i'm dreaming ? xD

If no then as you suggested i must buy a DAC HAT

drgeoff

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:07 pm

AliKhazaee wrote:
ghans wrote:

ghans
What about separating audio channels like Right Sound - Left Sound - SubWoofer, That simple Jack socket will handle this ?
No, the AV analogue jack (3.5mm TRRS) can only output 2 audio channels.

Your Pioneer amp is specifically designed to take a normal analogue stereo input and separate the low frequencies with a user selectable low pass filter. The low frequencies from left and right are combined and fed to the integral mono power amp and thence to your woofer. The left and right signals are passed through to output sockets to connect to an external stereo power amp for the other speakers.

AliKhazaee

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:10 pm

drgeoff wrote:
AliKhazaee wrote:
ghans wrote:

ghans

Your Pioneer amp is specifically designed to take a normal analogue stereo input and separate the low frequencies with a user selectable low pass filter. The low frequencies from left and right are combined and fed to the integral mono power amp and thence to your woofer. The left and right signals are passed through to output sockets to connect to an external stereo power amp for the other speakers.
You mean connecting single jack to amplifier is enough ?

drgeoff

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am

AliKhazaee wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:10 pm
drgeoff wrote:
AliKhazaee wrote:

You mean connecting single jack to amplifier is enough ?
It would appear that you have not read and understood the manual for the Pioneer.

AliKhazaee

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I am talking about Raspberry not Pioneer

epoch1970

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:28 pm

AliKhazaee wrote:
Suggest you stop talking and check your amplifier's documentation.
The whole truth will be revealed, then.

BTW, once this is done you can read up on digital audio formats too. MP3, even 320 CBR, is not the *best* format available, as it uses a lossy compression scheme. And MP3 only supports 2 channels, not 3 or more. Use wikipedia.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

AliKhazaee

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:28 pm
AliKhazaee wrote:
Suggest you stop talking and check your amplifier's documentation.
The whole truth will be revealed, then.

BTW, once this is done you can read up on digital audio formats too. MP3, even 320 CBR, is not the *best* format available, as it uses a lossy compression scheme. And MP3 only supports 2 channels, not 3 or more. Use wikipedia.
There are many car stereo devices that split mp3 into 4 channels or even more channels.

for example pioneer deh-80prs has 3 RCA channels and 1 subwoofer channel.

socksrolleddown

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Londonclive wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:02 pm
I did test the dragonfly black first and it was nice but the red is just that little bit better. The dragonfly red works on kodi as well and sounds great. But I like the radio on volumio. I've also used the df red on my mini Mac but I prefer the raspberry pi weird because the Mac should be better. In answer to your question volumio is just the os and the DAC does most of the sound work. Ps my stereo is ok £500 Sony av receiver q acoustics concept 40 at the front audioquest cables. I've switched between hdmi out (using Sony receiver built-in DAC) from raspberry pi and usb out to dragonfly red and it's night and day difference. The dragonfly sounds great. Audioquest have just announced a new dragonfly cobalt.
Sorry for an old thread bump, what settings did you use on volumio, my dragonfly black doesnt seem to recognise an Tidal MQA and process , it runs Blue Light rather than MQA purple

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”