steaky1212

Video system for a church project

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 am

Hi,

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but here goes anyway...

I help run AV at my local church, and I was thinking about using a collection of Raspberry Pis help with some technical issues (as well as update the tech)

I have the following:
1x HDMI projector
2x Composite output projectors
1x PC at the back of church (running EasyWorship)
2x S-video cameras
1x TV in a separate room

I'd like to have a setup where I have the following:
3x Raspberry Pis on the Projector (mostly all showing the same, but maybe different pictures if possible?)
1x Raspberry Pi on the TV (with separate audio from the sound-desk)
2x Raspberry Pis connected to good USB controllable pan-tilt-zoom cameras (replacing the s-video cameras)
Software running on the PC to send video where I want it

What do people recommend to achieve all of the above?

In order to make the system resilient, I'd also prefer to have booting from the network - but this has been well documented.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

p.s. I currently use Raspberry Pis at home (primarily as a NAS for me, and a PC with scratch for the children's bedrooms), so not a complete novice.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Video system for a church project

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Checking the specs of EasyWorship, I suspect that is your limitation.
https://support.easyworship.com/support ... 6000047711
EasyWorship uses the Windows Extended Desktop for displaying live output to front of house, foldback and alpha channel monitors.
Unsupported Software & Hardware
USB Video Adapters
USB Wireless Video Adapters
Wireless Projectors / Monitors
Network Projectors / Monitors
Casting to Streaming devices
If Windows doesn't support your display device natively, then it's not going to work off EasyWorship.
I do see where they are coming from as sending video over any non-native interface (eg USB, ethernet, etc) is typically quite intensive as it generally has to be compressed first.

OpenLP may offer you a similar feature with their Stage View. The current service setup is presented via a web interface, so any web browser can view it. I've not tried it out myself.

Hidden down a few layers on the EasyWorship site is reference to streaming from EW to NewTek video mixers, or receiving an NDI stream - https://support.easyworship.com/support ... -ndi-setup
FFmpeg had some interfacing to Newtek NDI. There was some politics recently over libndi due to Newtek breaking the FFmpeg licencing agreement. I suspect that only gives you a single output, but may be an option if you can convince a Pi to generate that from your cameras.

TBH find an IP camera that EW can support (if there are any) and use one of those. Building a Pi into that bit is not giving you much benefit if there is something off the shelf that will work. Ah, https://support.easyworship.com/support ... eed-set-up https://ptzoptics.com/NDI but starts at £1200 for a PTZ.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

steaky1212

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 pm

thanks 6by9.

I am not precious about using EasyWorship - so I might look into OpenLP or similar.

Would I just use a combination of VLC server and player to get the projectors up and running?

6by9

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm

steaky1212 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 pm
thanks 6by9.

I am not precious about using EasyWorship - so I might look into OpenLP or similar.

Would I just use a combination of VLC server and player to get the projectors up and running?
EasyWorship looks significantly more powerful than OpenLP, but the latter is open source so you can hack it around should you see fit.
I'm in the process of trying to switch from SongPro4 to OpenLP, although ZionWorx looks tempting if OpenLP doesn't do what I want. (I'm trying to work out why hitting escape whilst live leaves the screen in an odd state. You have to use '.' to blank, or 't' to blank to theme).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

steaky1212

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:05 pm

It doesn't look like we use much of the powerful functionality of EasyWorship, so it looks like we could definitely use that better.

However, I'm going to try this over the next few weeks, but I think this would work (if moving over to OpenLP)...

Presentation:
- Install OpenLP onto a RPi
- Use xrandr to create a virtual display
- Push monitor output to virtual display
- Use VLC(server) to stream virtual display
- Use VLC(client) to connect to video streams

Projector:
- Use VLC(client) to connect to stream

Stage view:
- Use stage view functionality of OpenLP

Camera:
- Use VLC(server) to stream camera

Creche:
- Not sure what the requirements of this are yet...

6by9

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:43 pm

steaky1212 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:05 pm
It doesn't look like we use much of the powerful functionality of EasyWorship, so it looks like we could definitely use that better.

However, I'm going to try this over the next few weeks, but I think this would work (if moving over to OpenLP)...

Presentation:
- Install OpenLP onto a RPi
- Use xrandr to create a virtual display
- Push monitor output to virtual display
- Use VLC(server) to stream virtual display
- Use VLC(client) to connect to video streams

Projector:
- Use VLC(client) to connect to stream

Stage view:
- Use stage view functionality of OpenLP

Camera:
- Use VLC(server) to stream camera

Creche:
- Not sure what the requirements of this are yet...
Do let me know know how you get on.
My setup is much more straightforward with an x86 laptop in control, and the HDMI output feeding both the main projector and a 17" VGA monitor via a Kramer switcher/scaler, and a VGA over CAT5 distribution amp. We don't do anything in the way of camera overlays.
I would have gone for a Pi4, but (a) I wasn't allowed to use one publicly until Monday, and (b) the other main person is a die-hard Windows man and got scared of this Linux thing! Perhaps I'll keep a Pi4 as a backup should the laptop fail :D

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”